• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Molar broke, can't get to dentist for 2 weeks

A

alex9894

My bottom molar broke in half on Sunday and this hard brown stuff is underneath it. The pain has been absolutely excruciating, so bad that it's making my jaw, ear, throat and head hurt and I haven't slept for days because of it. I've been taking Advil + Tylenol together, it's the only thing that helps with the pain but it wears off quickly and then I'm in pain again; clove oil also works, but again, it doesn't last long.

I called my dentist and the only available appointment is on April 22nd because I need to see 2 doctors and they're only both going to be there at the same time that day. Until then, they phoned in a prescription for Codeine with Acetaminophen.

I'm terrified because I already have missing teeth on that side and I'm afraid they're gonna take it out and I'm gonna lose all ability to chew. My face isn't swelling and I'm not running a fever, the pain has dulled a bit but it's definitely still there. Will I be safe until I get this taken care of in 2 weeks? I called 2 Emergency dentists and they both told me my insurance wasn't accepted and since I'm pretty broke at the moment, I need my insurance to cover most of this (which my dentist does).

Yikes! I am not a dentist, but when I broke a molar about ten years ago, my dentist worked me in the next day, after hours.

If I were you, I would call the dental office every day and ask if there has been a cancellation and make sure they know you are in a lot of pain. The receptionist at my dental office and the endodontist's office have both told me to do this, because they said it puts me on their mind that day so they call me for cancellations. It has worked for me. Good luck! I know how miserable a broken tooth is!

Per Mountain Mama, I cracked a lower molar a couple of years ago, and my dentist saw me the next day. My surgery has same-day “pain appointments” that you can ring in for at 8.30am when they open. Is there a way you could see one of the doctors for even a temporary fix before the 22nd? I really hope you get something sorted soon!

Hi Alex9894,

I have to say I don't know how things are done in the good ol U S of A, but if one of my patients was suffering the same pain as you are, I would want to get them in straight away to see if I could do something to stop the pain. A simple sedative dressing which would cover the exposed tooth and soak in soothing oil of cloves, may well take away the pain, and would take a five minutes to place.
I would suggest rings the office and asking if they could do something like this for you.

Lincoln

Most places in the U.S. will work you in for an emergency like that, even if it is just a temporary pain relief fix, like Lincoln said. My dentist even has an after hours message machine, and will call you back within an hour or so. I don't understand why two different dentists need to be there, but surely they can offer something other than the pain pills.

Back