• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Molar broke off

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mdi
  • Start date Start date
M

Mdi

Junior member
Joined
Jan 13, 2025
Messages
1
Location
Tennessee
My molar recently broke off leaving a hole in my gum. I have no pain at all.
I’m terrified dentist and wondering will it just heal on its own
 

Attachments

  • IMG_7422.jpeg
    IMG_7422.jpeg
    94.1 KB · Views: 26
I would say it's best to get it repaired if possible. The back of one of my molars just fell off (must have been damaged somehow) and the dentist just built it up with some filling material. It had a sharp edge that I kept catching my tongue on and I felt a lot better afterwards. I have chronic panic attacks before dental treatment sometimes, but I somehow kept my cool while he did that. I was nervous and gagging as usual, but it was so quick and I was back outside soon afterwards! I don't see how it could possibly heal itself, although you sometimes 'get used to' a sharp edge after a while! I don't think my dentist did any drilling or anything and just put this stuff on, even without anaesthetic! Good luck!
 
Unfortunately this won't heal on it's own. I understand being terrified but this really does need to be seen and dealt with. It could get infected and cause problems if left.

Do you have an emergency local dentist/dental school someone could call for you? Then to go with you?
 
It looks like that has broken below the gum line. In these types of circumstances they will usually opt for extraction from my personal experience.

Whatever happens... It's best that this gets treated. Sooner rather than later. This will get bad very quickly. Trust me. Ask me how I know ;-)
 
Back
Top