• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Molar extraction. Whoo.

B

bangboometc

So, after putting it off for far longer than I should have, I'll be getting my upper left molar (tooth 15 I think?) extracted in two weeks. I've had fillings, root canals, and everything in between without a problem, but the idea of an extraction scares the life out of me. Add to the fact that this is a new dentist (who seems to know what he's doing, to be fair) and boom, here I am on the edge of an anxiety attack.

I'm nervous about the entire procedure, if we're being entirely honest. Nervous about the injections (especially in the palate, if that's something that needs to happen), nervous about the actual pulling of the tooth, nervous about the recovery process. Just an absolute mess all around.

Any and all reassurance or tips would be absolutely great right about now.

In my experience the upper molar was much, much easier of an extraction than the lower ones. The palate shot is not pleasant but it isn’t as bad as you imagine either. Most dentists have a trick they use...my surgeon applied pressure on the opposite side of my mouth with a mirror while he gave the shot. It alleviates the pressure you feel with the shot and makes it easier. The upper molar healed more quickly and was easier to keep clean. Plus you have the bonus of not worrying about dry socket as it is very rare to have it on an upper extraction. Good luck! You will do fine!

Thank you for the reply! I actually had no idea dry sockets were rare on upper teeth; that's one less thing to worry about for sure. :)

Back