• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

My dad is a dentist and caused a lot of the fear and anxiety...

Thanks gettingthere. Oh how I can understand where you're coming from. Even when I see my dad I try to cover up my smile because I don't want him "examining me." :scared:

Ugh, I just received a text message from the office confirming my appointment. Exactly one week from today is my appointment, and I have to say that the anxiety is building. I've had some other things going on this week to keep me somewhat distracted... I do theatre and have had auditions this week. And I'm so determined at these auditions, but when it comes thought to the dentist, I lose it. Completely. I know there are times I have a TON of strength but other times when I'm a pure coward (obviously the dentist, facing my emotionally abusive ex is another, which I may have to in the near future as he too is in theatre.) I wish I could channel the strength that I do have into the times when I feel I lose it.

I've thought a few times in the past week that I just cannot face this appointment next week and I just want to cancel. I know that's not the right thing to do, but it's amazing the control over your mind anxiety can have. Although I also know that I ultimately have control over it, and for whatever reason I let it get out of control. :cry:

Well at least now you know how long you have prepare you're self for it good luck and go kick some butt :thumbsup::)

I think we all let it get out of control at some points but i think it's how we start to retake control of it that really matters in the in end you got this MC

Ughhhhhh, I'm down to three days away. My appointment is Wednesday. I got a text message reminder from the office... and I reluctantly replied yes. I read someone else say that all dental phobics know EXACTLY when their appointments are and that person is RIGHT. I'm up and down... one minute I see my self chickening out, then I get determination all over again. My therapist said something interesting though... that I made this goal for myself, no one else made it for me. So do I really want to let myself down?

And story after story here people say that the appointments aren't nearly as bad as you make it out to be, but I just cannot get that through my head. Every time I think about it, I see myself hyperventilating and shaking. I know ultimately I have control over my feelings, but there are certain things I cannot seem to take a grip on. This is one of them. Giving too much power to my ex boyfriend (I still allow thoughts of him creep into my mind, I get scared of him. Even though I told him to leave my life in all aspects. No texting, calling, etc. And I unfriended AND blocked him on Facebook.)

I am PRAYING that I will come back here Wednesday, having gone to the appointment, and being able to say what everyone else says.... that the appointment was so much easier than I expected and that I don't need as much work as I think. I HOPE. PLEASE. :shame:

You will be on here on Wednesday and I am looking forward to reading your post. The stress you are feeling now really is the worst you are going to feel. You will be okay, explain to the dentist how nervous you are feeling, I think you may be surprised at how understanding they are. They really do want to help us to get the treatment we need.

Good luck :clover::clover::clover::clover::clover:

Thanks Carole. I really need to hear this over and over. Sometimes with this kind of stuff it takes a LOT to sink in.

And now I'm at 24 hours. I'm really getting anxious. And not in the good way........

You can do this I'm here for you remember to take deep breathes breathe in and out stay calm you got this :XXLhug::hug4:

MC - we can - virtually - hold each other's hands - I am going again tomorrow, and although at this moment in time I am feeling the (scared to say it :o worried about it at the moment) least scared that I have been since the start of my journey, I know that I will be worked up by the time we get there (can't go on my own) and my hands will be all clammy and go from either too hot to too cold - me foot will do a lot of wiggling (my knees used to do a merry old jig) and my heart will be going - I wont be going in a minute before I need to enter the waiting room, and I will be looking out for my chair to sit in, and if it's not available, I have my reserve. My hubby will pick up a magazine and will have already told me to 'behave yurseelf '- he's Scottish and I will have my hand ready over my mouth, be observing any other people in the waiting room to make sure they haven't 'clocked' me, and listening very carefully for the door opening and being called in - phew - I have exhausted myself typing that - I didn't realise all the things I do, just to go to an appointment :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Not sure what time band you are on where you are, my appointment is 11am tomorrow morning, and although I already knew that, I still had psychic knowledge when my phone went today, that it was the surgery on the phone confirming tomorrow ;)

So, positive vibes coming your way hun - hope you are ok, and all goes well - will see you on here tomorrow for an update :)

Kim

You will both be okay, and you will both be here tomorrow saying how good you feel for having been and got your appointments over with.

Good luck to you both :clover::clover::clover::clover::clover::clover::clover::clover::clover: :butterfly:

Thanks everyone. I am sure I'll be freaking out in the morning before I go..... Ugh.
:o:shame::shame::shame::shame:

Heres to hoping all goes well tomorrow for you I'll be here if you need more support you can do this take deep breathes in through the mouth out through the nose you got this :hug5::hug4:

Although it's a nice touch, the dentist just called (I was out on a walk and missed the call). But he wanted to welcome me to his practice and that he was looking forward to meeting me tomorrow.

Can we just skip the next few weeks/months so that what I need done is done and nothing but a distant memory?

Again, ugh. :cry:

Ah bless you - I think a lot of us on here have been looking for the old time machine escape - good luck.

Kim

Very, very good luck. One baby step at a time.

:XXLhug:

toucan

Thanks everyone. I was calm up until about a half hour ago. Now I have upset stomach. Ugh..... :shame:

Two hours...... :shame:

Is this normal? Such dread.....

Just stay calm and breathe

Deep breaths, thinking of you - I renamed upset tum to pp's (panic poo's to you and me ;) )

Good luck x

Total PPs. And intestinal cramps. Got some funny name for that too?

Leaving in 15 minutes. I'm shaking. :cry::faint:

Good luck you'll do great remember deep breathes