• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Natural way to whiten teeth

  • Thread starter Thread starter rosy
  • Start date Start date
R

rosy

Member
Joined
Apr 17, 2006
Messages
80
I am looking for a natural way that really works to whiten teeth. Are there any out there?
 
baking powder/baking soda is the one usually quoted. I'm sure I remember brushing with salt, but can't be good for the teeth.

best thing to do is give up all the things that stain them : tea, coffee, red wine, smoking.
 
Unless your teeth are actually stained with something then there's nothing going to make them whiter except bleaching them. Teeth naturally tend to get a bit more yellow as you get older.
 
I really don't want to bleach them.
 
I really don't want to bleach them.

Perfectly sensible attitude in my view. They claim it does no harm but I feel the same as you...bleach????? NO WAY!!!!! Increased sensitivity is a possibility. You have to repeat the treatment...they don't stay white.

As Gordon says your teeth are supposed to be yellower as you age, baby teeth are whiter than second teeth...so why do so many people have such an obsession in 21st Century with wanting to make everything the opposite of what it is supposed to be, by the laws of nature.

I put teeth whitening in the same category as artificial skin tanning - probably a fad which will eventually have it's (carcinogenous) downsides proved.
 
best thing to do is give up all the things that stain them : tea, coffee, red wine, smoking.

Wow that would be fun :rofl:! Just to stick up for tea and coffee, I drink loads of the stuff BUT ALWAYS WITH MILK and my teeth look pretty white according my hygienist.
I don't smoke and hardly ever drink red wine but I agree that does seem to have a propensity to stain but I so prefer it over white wine...what can I say...a little bit of what I fancy does me good ;) :sleepyjuice:
 
I don't like the idea of using some of these over the counter products that are supposed to whiten your teeth. I just want use a natural safe way to whiten my teeth. I've also read that they can make your teeth sensitive and I don't need a problem like that just to whiten my teeth.
 
...what can I say...a little bit of what I fancy does me good ;) :sleepyjuice:


I agree - life is too short to worry about yellow teeth..... ;D but when I used to drink five cups of black filter coffee every day I could see the difference in photos....

I must say that the radioactive superwhite day-glo teeth some people are sporting these days look a bit creepy.....

what is it about the colour of your teeth you dislike rosy?
 
I'd be interested in an un-natural way to whiten your teeth... witchcraft maybe? :)

Seriously, the only way to make them whiter is to bleach them, unless they're actually stained, in which case removing the stains will make them whiter (for a bit, until they get stained again). Anything else is just snake oil.
 
My teeth are not real yellow,but having white teeth is more pleasing to look at instead of yellow teeth and plus it makes you feel better about your appearance.
 
Gordon, what do you mean in an un-natural way to whiten teeth. I am not following what you are saying?
 
My teeth are not real yellow,but having white teeth is more pleasing to look at instead of yellow teeth and plus it makes you feel better about your appearance.

You probably think that only because the media has been harping on about teeth whitening for the last 5-10 years and because people when they have cosmetic dentistry go for 'Hollywood white' which is completely unnatural...your teeth are not supposed to be Hollywood white. There's an old thread on tooth shades somewhere.

If you haven't had your teeth professionally cleaned recently - I would try that - it's bound to make your teeth look a bit better.

As Annie says drinking black coffee (and as I found ages ago fruit herbal teas without milk) does cause a lot of stain BUT drinking tea /coffee with milk reduces amount of staining drastically.
 
Just google natural tooth whitening. There are some strange suggestions such as lemon juice which would be sure to attack the tooth enamel....

Other than sensitivity which is supposed to be temporary, bleaching is using similar chemicals, but probably in miniscule doses, as hair colorants use. Doesn't it have peroxide? So technically if you have your hair coloured the cancer risk is probably higher from that. I remember using over the counter hydrogen peroxide as a cheap hair bleach when at school....one girl at our school used domestos on her hair and ended up with it going lighter and lighter...! Never would have thought of putting it on my teeth though....I reckon it's like sunbeds. Ok to do once or twice but should not become a regular habit. I strongly disapprove of cosmetic dentists who encourage you to have lighter coloured dental work so you can match natural teeth by bleaching....tut tut.. I want low maintenance teeth. I've always found whitening toothpastes a waste of time and money. But I've always been fairly happy with my tooth colour although dentists have told me my crowns should be whiter. But I think they are too white. How many dentists are colour blind do you reckon? I was told my teeth should be the same colour as my eye whites. But I would look really silly with teeth that white. People would be knocked unconscious when I smiled.....I remember reading somewhere that you should not go whiter than your eye whites, not that you should try to match them.

Rosy Gordon is right about the bleach -if you simply have naturally off white teeth which are not stained, then it's the only way to make them lighter. But I'm sure your teeth look great as they are.
 
I do pay attention to teeth of all those stars and singers. There teeth look so perfect. Looks like they have never had any problems with there teeth. I know they have had a lot cosmetic dentistry done on them. It is hard to ignore.
 
I do pay attention to teeth of all those stars and singers. There teeth look so perfect. Looks like they have never had any problems with there teeth. I know they have had a lot cosmetic dentistry done on them. It is hard to ignore.

But ask yourself who benefits from your caring about these issues? Do you and your friends benefit or do whitening manufacturers, cosmetic dentists and Celebrity magazines benefit from the increased sales? Challenge the things the media presents you with....fresh thinking can work wonders in making you feel better about yourself. The French have a wonderful expression about 'feeling well in your own skin' which just means having high self-esteem and respecting yourself for the person you are, warts and all.
 
I do pay attention to teeth of all those stars and singers. There teeth look so perfect. Looks like they have never had any problems with there teeth. I know they have had a lot cosmetic dentistry done on them. It is hard to ignore.


Many have either had veneers which involve reducing the natural tooth or they have bleached teeth, or both. There are few naturally beautiful smiles around these days. On top of that many magazine pics are touched up so you are not looking a real person. I have a friend in America who has the most amazing smile & really healthy looking teeth, but when I asked about her teeth she showed me a mouthful of fillings in her back teeth and proceeded to complain about the state of them. If you watch certain films you will see hollywood stars who open their mouths to reveal loads of fillings.

Is there anything actually wrong with your smile, I mean other than the colour are you happy with your teeth???? Tell us what you like about your teeth.
 
Gordon, what do you mean in an un-natural way to whiten teeth. I am not following what you are saying?

It was a joke. Sorry. If I have to explain it then it clearly wasn't funny.
 
Back
Top