• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Need Advice - Impacted lower second molar

S

Smile123

Hi All,

I am a patient and appreciate if I can get some advice from the professionals here. I am a 30-year-old woman. I have impacted lower second molars that grow sideways on both left and right side. The second molar is pushing the tooth in the front (I believe that's the first molar). I had bad cavities on both of the impacted lower second molars and first molars because food easily got trapped. I remember my dentist mentioned that the cavities were deep near the nerves. My dentist managed to fill the cavities around 3-4 years ago. However, when I eat / drink cold, the tooth reacts to cold and it gave me like a throbbing sensation on the lower second molars area.

My left hand side is even more complicated. The situation is worse because I lost my lower second premolar 12 years ago and I haven't done any bridge to fill the gap. The upper second premolar starts drifting down which I believe is called super eruption.

I did some researches online, many articles suggested to upright the second molar at young age. I wish I would have gotten a chance to do brace when I was still a teenager. At my age of 30, Is it too late to do the brace?

I am also planning to have a baby in this year or two. I am not sure if doing the brace works well with pregnancy plan.

Instead of upright the second molar, the study mentioned to extract the second molar as a least effective approach. If I choose to extract the lower second molar(s), I wonder if the wisdom tooth is going to come out? Any other alternatives besides these two?

I would like to get the problems as soon as possible but right now I am so dreaded at the same time. Any advice is truly appreciated.

I can provide X-ray of my lower left (impacted second molar, first molar, and missing second premolar) if needed.

I'm not a dentist, but I had a co-worker who had the same molar issues as you have described. Because it's hard to clean properly, she also had alot of decay issues and her dentist recommended she get braces to upright those molars so that she can get a proper filling. She did go through with it and is almost done with treatment. She was a little younger than you, 26 going on 27. She also just had her baby boy a month ago and was pregnant after getting braces.

I personally got braces when I was 36 and am going to be 37 this year when my braces come off, and have also heard of many people much older than me getting braces too. So I would say it's probably never too late to get braces. I would say perhaps consult an orthodontist and see what they recommend.

I'm not a dentist, but I had a co-worker who had the same molar issues as you have described. Because it's hard to clean properly, she also had alot of decay issues and her dentist recommended she get braces to upright those molars so that she can get a proper filling. She did go through with it and is almost done with treatment. She was a little younger than you, 26 going on 27. She also just had her baby boy a month ago and was pregnant after getting braces.

I personally got braces when I was 36 and am going to be 37 this year when my braces come off, and have also heard of many people much older than me getting braces too. So I would say it's probably never too late to get braces. I would say perhaps consult an orthodontist and see what they recommend.

Thank you for your comment! How long did it take your co-worker to upright the impacted molars? I just heard that getting braces doesn't really affect pregnancy. Guess my next step will be going to visit orthodontist and see if I'm a candidate for that.

Thank you for your comment! How long did it take your co-worker to upright the impacted molars? I just heard that getting braces doesn't really affect pregnancy. Guess my next step will be going to visit orthodontist and see if I'm a candidate for that.

About a year I think. I remember her telling me that her teeth were a little stubborn. But everyone is different, so your treatment may or may not take as long.

My colleague had braces in her 50s for cosmetic reasons. Her teeth look great. In your shoes I would be looking to address the pain you are having to heat and cold first.

Back