• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Need dentures... Can't get the nerve to make appointment

S

ScaredinPA

Same old story... Was never taught good dental care, drank a lot of soda, had a bunch of dental work done just out of high school and was humiliated by dentist... So yeah, petrified to ever go back. So 20 years later all the restorative crowns and fillings have one by one broken off and eroded away. Left with a broken smile and barely the ability to eat.

Managed to muster up the courage to see a local dentist about a year ago. He was pretty supportive and broke the news that dentures were the only realistic treatment. So he offered several different open as far as dentures went and said he would have to refer me to an oral surgeon to talk about extraction. Dentist recommended 2 implants in my lower jaw to hold the lower denture in place and the top denture would just suction to my upper palette. His cost for immediate and permanent dentures was around 10k. I was floored by this so I ask dentist how much extraction would be... Mind you I have about 22 teeth left and well over half of them are broken off and eroded all the way down to the gums. He "spit balled" a figure of 8 to 10k for the extraction. I tried twice to setup an appointment at his referred oral surgeon and twice the had to reschedule. I couldn't get the nerve to reschedule again.

Petrified about the cost, the procedure, the judgement, etc. And it seems impossible to track down a reliable dental practice that is reasonably cost but isn't marred by horrific reviews. Am located in south central PA. Any advice or similar stories would help. One more loss to another front tooth and I might lose it.

Hi. I don't have any experience with dentures, but the cost quoted to it for extractions seems quite high from what I know. Are you able to travel to a city where there are more options or maybe even a dental school? Are you close enough to Harrisburg or Philly to be able to get there at least for a consultation?

Hopefully someone with more experience with dentures will chime in.

That does seem expensive, as I was told that extractions are actually cheaper than restorations. And dentures really should not cost that much. There is no way in hell it costs 10k to make them. That price definitely seems artificially high.

I'm not from the US, so I don't know too much about the options there, but like FearfulInMA said, if you can travel further afield, it might help to broaden your search.

Are you being put under? I've only hear those prices for being put under. Perhaps you can just to local and laughing gas? Or do my plan. Two at a time for $200 each at the dentist. It's slow but a lot cheaper. I'm just waiting for them to go and we are pulling. Not sure if that would be an option for you. Good luck. It's so expensive! Have you looked into Care Credit?

Back