• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

need help with dentures

B

bdozer84

I'm 29 years old and had to get a full upper about a week a go and will be getting a lower partial. I absolutely hate the way it makes my lip stick out. Is there anything that will help that? I also hate the way I talk. I sound like a little kid who is learning to talk but with marbles in his mouth. I read that speaking out loud helps but is that all I have to do or is it just practice for me to hear so I can make changes. I'm terrified I'm going to be stuck like this for at least a year when I get my next set of uppers.

Hello I found my immediate was quite shallow in the plastic under the lip and a reline after everything had settled down a bit went right up to where the lip meets the gum was an improvement plus I had just had the extractions so I showed a little more tooth Than I liked but the swelling subsided the gums shrunk down and things looked better, with regards to speech it will eventually go back to normal on its own, I was worried about that too wondering if I had to practice or not but I did sing and read and talked and it went back quite suddenly even though I noticed it more than others because your ears and your mouth are so close when it's heard from inside your head, things do settle just takes a little time ?:thumbsup:

Hello I found my immediate was quite shallow in the plastic under the lip and a reline after everything had settled down a bit went right up to where the lip meets the gum was an improvement plus I had just had the extractions so I showed a little more tooth Than I liked but the swelling subsided the gums shrunk down and things looked better, with regards to speech it will eventually go back to normal on its own, I was worried about that too wondering if I had to practice or not but I did sing and read and talked and it went back quite suddenly even though I noticed it more than others because your ears and your mouth are so close when it's heard from inside your head, things do settle just takes a little time ?:thumbsup:

This is good to hear. I just had my upper teeth taken out this past Monday and I couldn't get the temp denture in because of the swelling and pain. But I was able to get it in the other day and it fit horribly. Can they reline it in the office or do they send it out? I am walking around with no upper teeth and it is really adding to my anxiety.

I think the reline depends, mine was done at the chair it was just like having a impression but with less gloop and it tasted worse :) But it was sometime before the reline as they have to let things settle and shrink down first, mine( the immediates) was initially put in with a little fixative as it didn't fit at the back but once the extraction swelling calmed down it was fine and my now more permanent set ( about 8 months after my last extraction) fit like a glove. It all takes time just like any other prosthetic :)
D.J:whirl:

Remember "A bad day with good teeth far outweighs a good day with bad teeth"

I am new to this forum and recently had the last four teeth pulled on the bottom and temporary dentures put in along with some adhesive. I am relieved to find out that these are temporary as they are very loose. 5 years ago I had all of the the top teeth pulled and the dentist put in temporary dentures and a partial on the bottom, only I didn't know they were temporary and after one reline, I moved away. I feel silly now that I know they were supposed to be temporary. They never did fit right. I am now on day 3 after the last 4 bottom teeth have been extracted and temporary teeth put in. Things are going fairly well although tender unless I use a little glue. I am experiencing nausea and slight head ache probably from hunger and pressure points but I think I will feel better when I'm done with the antibiotics and occasional Ibuprofen. Nice to know there is a light at the end of this tunnel. 5 years wearing those temporary teeth has pushed my patience and will power beyond the max.

Back