• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Need Opinions; Possible Unnecessary Procedure

  • Thread starter Thread starter Yuki
  • Start date Start date
Y

Yuki

Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2014
Messages
74
Location
Toronto
So I have a journal going here regarding the dental and anxiety hell I'm going through to get a front tooth implant. So I won't bother outlining that. But trust, it has been just... I have been put through a LOT of crap for months and still do not have a surgery date even though I had my CT Scan and apparently I have a straight forward case.
My issue: My restoration dentist ( the one who will do the final crown for the implant), seems to be a bit of a gold digger. When i went to see him, he X-rayed my front teeth ( this was before he sent me on to a CT scan). So he was friendly, he seems like a nice man, but then he started racking up thousands of dollars of veneers and procedures I need unrelated to the implant.
One of the procedures he says I "need", is a root canal retreatment and crown of my other front tooth. It is not failing, it is not infected, in fact, the tooth has never bothered me. The only reason why I need an implant on the other tooth as a brief recap, is due to trauma (an impact to my front tooth. It broke and shenanigans ensued). He says my former dentist that did the root canal on the (non implant) front tooth (when I lived in Tokyo) did not do it "all the way up".

That's it. Even though it has not bothered me in the slightest for 10 years, it is not infected, there is nothing wrong with it, he wants to re-do it. And I can't help but think it is an unnecessary procedure. I mean, I have been through 3 dentists and NONE of them have ever mentioned it. They have all seen X-Rays of it. He is the only one that has presented this as a problem that needs to be fixed. Also to note, I resent a bit the implication on his part that a Tokyo dentist is somehow inferior. The Tokyo dentist was probably the only one I have ever trusted in my life. He was caring, compassionate, and that is because in Japan, dentistry is competitive, but they also do what people *need*, and do it well. They don't over tamper or do unnecessary things because greed and dishonesty doesn't look very good culturally. I have confidence that Dr Kanda ( in Japan) did my root canal correctly, and that the canals of the tooth just became too small to go up further. And again, I have never had any issues since.

As for my current dental woes, I am already paying thousands of dollars for my implant, and my anxiety is just almost too much to bear. This root canal Retreatment will cost well over $1500 more. Do I believe him? I have no idea what to do . Could every other dentist, including the one who did it, be wrong?

I just can't trust any dentists. The more I work to control my dental phobia, the more they prove to me I am correct to have it :cry:
 
Last edited:
How is root canal $1500 that's very very expensive

Just change dentists ?
 
How is root canal $1500 that's very very expensive

Just change dentists ?

It's because I live in Canada. Also, I live in Canada's largest and most expensive city. because he is the top dentist, and also, it is not an ordinary root canal. It is a root canal "retreatment" which require an endodontist skill. :[

And I can't just switch. My primary concern is needing a dental implant. I have been through hell to find a surgeon that I trust. This is the restoration dentist he works with. So I'm a bit trapped as I cannot imagine starting all over again, and looking for an implant team :(
 
Back
Top