• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Need to go to the Dentist Again- Scared to Death!!

C

cynthialoulou

Can anyone please help?
I need to go to the dentist again & I am scared to death. I have terrible teeth. Have been in the Dentist chair since a very small child. I have a lot of teeth that need to be worked on & I am scared to death. Every I think about it, I start having a panic attach, shaking all over, feeling like I can not breathe.
I have a root canal on almost every tooth & crowns, bridges, etc.
My last dentist was good at calming my anxiety, he just gave me the funny gas until I did not know what was going on before he started anything. I have found out though, he is not a very good dentist. I was his first patient ever? I did not know that until I was almost finished with him & he introduced me to someone else as his first patient ever? yikes.
Now, I don't mind that I am his first patient but goodness, please get help in complicated cases where you don't know what your doing or if you should even be doing that?
I have prayed & prayed & prayed but my anxiety is none the less.
I recently found out that I had a root canal about 6 years ago & he broke his drill bit off in my gums and just closed it up. Well, the root canal had to be redone, so I went to an Endodontist & he went in twice and tried to remove it but could not get it out. The past few years I have had a cyst come up on my face. I was concerned because I never had any kind of acne, so I went to the dermatologist. She has removed the cyst twice and it just keeps coming back. Well, now I know it just happens to be in the same place on my face where a drill bit from a root canal was left in my gums. The Endo said I would need sinus surgery to have it removed. Yikes
It's driving me crazy.
The last tooth I had worked on was a crown. The Crown had a screw to hold it into my gums. My dentist said that I broke the screw and he would redo it @ no charge since it had been less than a year since I had paid to have it done. I was okay with that. Well, he worked on it and the next morning I woke up and It was hurting like crazy. Throbbing with a heart beat in it. It hurt so bad. I went right to the dentist, he loaded me up with pain pills and antibiotics and said I would need it pulled, cut out asap. I spent a few days high as a kite on pain pills before they could pull/cut it out. They took an x-ray right before I had it taken out and on the x-Ray I saw that there were 2 screws in that tooth. He forgot to take out the first screw before he put the 2nd one in? I had told my son to feel my gums before they took it out because I felt like something was sticking out of my gums. He agreed that something was sticking out of my gums. I just happened to see the X ray that was done before they took it out and that it why it was hurting like crazy because 2 screws will not fit in that canal so one screw was on the verge on trying to stick out of my gums.
Also the reason I broke the screw in that tooth was because I was waiting 4 months to get a bridge on the other side of my mouth and had to chew on that side, only on that side for 4 months. No wonder it broke. When I said something to the dentist about the 2 screws in one tooth, he got angry and said that he was trying to save my teeth when any other dentist would have pulled them long ago?
I am at the point now where I just want to have my teeth pulled and wear dentures. I am so tired of getting all the crowns and bridges and everyone of my teeth need some work on them and are starting to hurt. I don't have the $ to get implants and not sure I even want to go through all that. Yikes
Does anyone have any advice? Does anyone know of a dentist in the Atlanta area that is Gentle and can pull teeth with the same day denture thing? I can not go for 3 months while my gums heal without any teeth. I am so so so scared and do not know what to do. Everyone on my husbands insurance list has bad complaints against them every where I look.
I need a dentist that does not mind giving laughing gas because that's the only way I can get things done. I am having a panic attack, crying & shaking just writing this all down.
Please if you know of anything I can do, Please give me some advice. Thanks so much
Scared to death in Atlanta:cry:

Hi :welcome:to the forum.

I am really sorry that you had to go through all this. Your dentist sounds horrific I would say that he didn't know what he was doing and has messed your mouth up. I think the only thing you can do is to email dentist and explain how you feel and why as you have done on here and ask if they can help you to get yourself orally healthy. See what replies you get back and then go and see one, the first visit should just be more of a meet and greet with them having a look at the teeth and maybe taking an x ray.

You can have an immediate denture when you have had teeth removed so if you need your teeth extracting then ask about this before you agree to any treatment. Before YOU CONSENT to any treatment make sure you know why and how they intend to get the treatment done. Only consent to what you feel you can cope with in one visit. If you feel uncomfortable or pressured at all leave and see another dentist until you find one that understands you fears and will treat you with consideration and put your mind at ease.

I hope this helps a bit I understand how terrible you feel I have been there and got the t-shirt. I have managed to find a lovely lady dentist and I no longer tremble or stress about going now so it is possible to find someone you just have to keep seeing dentists until you find the right one. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::hug5::butterfly:

Back