• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Need to visit the dentist ASAP :( :(

E

Ellphee

I don't think I've seen a dentist in over a decade now. My teeth are terrible. They're stained at the front with cavities. I have a broken one on one side and a completely gone one on the other at the back so eating is a nightmare. I went to a private dentist a year ago who told me I have severe gingivitis. I swear some of my front teeth feel loose. I just know I'm going to need deep cleaning and teeth removed and root canals.

i took a big step last week in telling my mum and my boyfriend and actually registering at an NHS dentist. My boyfriend also has dental phobia and said the dentist he is seeing is amazing so I have her. I do have an appointment in September but I need to go earlier.

im having bad pain on the right side. Pain that makes me cry. Id rather go through labour again. I'm not sure if it's an abscess or what and I have an exposed root somewhere because I get that sharp stabbing pain. I'm maxed out on painkillers and rinsing with salt water.

The thought of letting someone look in my mouth and telling me all that is wrong is making me feel so bad though. They're going to shout at me and I'll cry and panic. I'm at the point where I want to go because I can't go on being in this much pain. I want to rip them out. I wouldn't even mind a full mouth of dentures. Yet I could be in some pain for time because it will take ages to get it all sorted. The dentist I'm seeing offers sedation but I'm not sure how great that will be as I'm breastfeeding.

i just want this sorted. I'm angry at myself for letting it get this bad. If only I'd carried on going as a teenager. I want to set a good example for my child and teach her not to be afraid but it's hard. I'm scared of making that phone call tomorrow.

This is is very babblu. I'm sorry.

They are not going to shout at you, especially if it's a dentist that's good for phobic patients. Seeing as your bf recommended them, I assume that they are! Gosh, if dentists shouted at all their patients, they wouldn't have a very high retention rate, would they? That would scare anybody off :p

Here's the best tip for any super phobic person going back to the dentist: communicate with them the best that you can. If you get too upset/anxious to talk, write it down beforehand and give it to them. Explain how afraid you are. Make it clear you want to take things very slow. You might need a break here and there if your anxiety gets the better of you. Things like that. It's not asking too much - in fact this really helps the dentist too. They want to help you, and the better you communicate your needs, the easier the job is for them! Any dentist that doesn't accommodate your needs is a crappy dentist - and at that point you leave and search for a better one.

Oh, and don't be worried about them judging you or being shocked by your teeth. They won't be. They will have seen worse. It's part of the job. When I first went to the dentist after a few years, many of my teeth were broken down to the roots, and the remaining ones decayed and discoloured. The dentist didn't bat an eye. Neither did any of the professionals that worked with me during the long journey to a healthy mouth.

At a first appointment, what they'll do is look around your mouth with a little mirror and take some x-rays to check the roots etc. Nothing invasive. Then they'll work out a treatment plan. So get through that, then think of ways to handle the treatments. One step at a time!

You'll be okay. :hug4: x

I know exactly how you're feeling because I was in the same position :hug4:
I went to the dentist after suffering horrendous pain for a week, in tears and scared to death. After Xrays I was told I need extensive work doing and was given antibiotics to help the pain in the tooth that was playing up. Well, I didn't go back!
I started getting toothache a few days ago and decided to brave it out and go and get that one tooth sorted yesterday. Honestly, I was shaking, boiling hot, heart palpitations - full blown panic! :frantic:
Well the dentist gave me 2 options, antibiotics or extraction. I had the tooth extracted and the one next to ot :o two big molars. And you know what, it was ok. I'm ok.
I'm still scared that I have to have a lot of work done but having a dentist who understands that I'm scared is a huge help. I now see him as more of a source of support than someone to avoid - a massive massive step for someone who couldn't even walk past a dental surgery 2 days ago!
Keep being brave, keep going and hopefully we'll both have pain free mouths soon :jump:

Re: Need to visit the dentist ASAP :( :( - UPDATE. I went! Feeling optimistic.

Busy life of a first time mum has taken over. Thank you both for replying. Haven't had the time to get on.

An update. I went for a check up. And it didn't go badly at all. im less scared. I'm actually looking forward to getting the treatment done. Im one step closer. The check up was the worst thing in my mind. The thought of opening my mouth but I suddenly feel like a weight has been lifted off me. I should hopefully soon have a healthy mouth.

the twenty or so minutes in the waiting room were the worst. I suffer badly from anxiety anyway that manifests in the form of nausea and fear of being sick so the entire time i was having to force myself to breathe and swallow and stay calm.

when I was called the assistant was busy so i blurted out that i had severe dental phobia and the dentist took a quick look without any tools and when the actual check up came it was only a minute or so long. It was short and sweet. No excessive poking or prodding. No lectures either. Just told me to use fluroguard and corsodyl and the hygienist will tell me which flossing tools to buy. The general lines of limit your sugar and brush twice a day followed but no bad words or "oh god what a horrible mouth"

I have a lot of fillings to do but surprisingly my front teeth are, albeit discoloured, healthy. the majority of the work is needed on my molars. Two have to come out :( but she's referred me straight for sedation. I need a full xray done as there machine isn't big enough which will tell me if any more need to come out.

I knew I had gingivitis but was pleasantly surprised to hear it hadn't gone to periodontal disease. I also have to have deep cleaning done. Tomorrow is my first session. I'm presuming I will have one quadrant done as she's also doing the fillings. I'm nervous because I have never had anything like that done. I hate blood in my mouth. But hopefully it will clear up the tartar build-up and my teeth may look a bit better.

I have a couple of questions about all this?

they took partial x-rays. Can they tell if I need root canals through them? She made no mention of them but I'm a bit worried about that.
With the deep clean, I'm expecting it to be uncomfortable after but will it hurt during? And what's the best things to eat afterwards that won't hurt my mouth? Because I'm having fillings they'll numb me anyway. Should I avoid anything? What about brushing later that night? I have never ever seen a hygienist so I have no idea what to expect.
If my teeth don't come out looking nice, as it runs in my family that we all grow grey teeth, could I request crowns or caps? Due to having a baby Ive still got 6 months free treatment so I don't know if they would even honour the question.
what does calculus mean? she said a lot of 3's and one 1. Any idea what that is?
She told me to eat before I go in? Is this because of the cleaning?

so tomorrow at 1, first lot of fillings, cleaning and needles. They said it will take about 40 minutes. I'm going in there armed with some music and hopefully will manage. Send me good thoughts. I'll check in here after.

Hi the 3's aren't bad at all and the 1's are good, they are the pockets that surround out teeth and keep them firm. The gums are important because we should ideally have 0's when they measure our gums. I have forgotten what the numbers go up to but I have heard that they may go to 10 which is not good at all as this means that the teeth are a lost cause. So you are not in bad shape gum wise at all.

The dentist will have some gel called topical that she can rub on your gums before injecting, this numbs the gums so that you don't feel the injection. Although after saying that my dentist doesn't use it on me anymore and I don't feel a thing, if they inject you slowly you won't feel it at all, maybe a little pressure but that will be it.

As far as I know you can eat normally once you are thawed out although my dentist usually puts some vanish stuff on my teeth to help with sensitivity and tells me to eat soft foods for a couple of days. After a deep clean your gums can feel a bit sore, everyone is different I haven't had any discomfort after cleaning but some people do. The deep cleaning won't hurt during as you will be numb, if at anytime when having any treatment you feel something let the dentist know and they can top you up so it isn't uncomfortable.

Take things at a pace you feel you can cope with and don't feel you have to rush the treatment, if you can only cope with a couple of fillings at once then only agree to that. You can always make another appointment and do some more then.

An x ray would most of the time show if any rct's were needed. I think once your dentist has the x ray results and can see a clear picture of the whole of your mouth she will be able to discuss with you what treatment you are going to need and how best to do it. This you will discuss and work with her on.

The fillings are usually fine by the end of the day if you have them at teatime but don't go mad and buy Thorntons toffee or bite anything too hard but a normal dinner would be fine. Your dentist and the hygienist will advise you on what to do and how best to keep your mouth healthy.

Good luck :clover::clover::clover: all the best to you :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::butterfly:

being brave!

So, first lot of treatment done and dusted. And I have to say it was nowhere near as bad as I imagined.

I was apprehensive about seeing this dentist but her and her assistant completely put my mind at ease. I was able to listen to music to help distract my mind and the few times I put my hand up (the signal) she stopped ASAP.

They only used the topical on the top gums as it doesn't work so well on the bottom but she went as slow as she could injecting the LA. Only one or two tiny painful moments. Must have had about 9 or 10 injections and after the first 1 or 2 I stopped feeling them.

We did the deep cleaning first and albeit, being a little loud there was only a moment or two of a dull jolty pain. Took maybe, half an hour in all doing the right side of my mouth top and bottom. i did spit out a lot of blood and have some horrendous metallic taste in my mouth but ah well. the gums are just the tiniest bit sore as well. And oh my the result. all the grey/black staining is gone. i have some nice teeth under there. they're yellowish to various degrees but without staining they look so much better. i could cry. hopefully i can smile again soon.

After that came the fillings. i was told she was only doing one but i think she did them all in the end on that side. i didnt even mind. dare say, i actually felt a bit bored sitting there.

i go back next week to have my left side done. im not dreading it because i cant wait to see a stain free mouth.

i did have silver fillings though which is causing a bit of a problem. im worried about eating and pulling them out as ive had some little bits of silver already crumble. i cant eat on my left side due to a missing tooth and a fear of making it bleed so im trying to work up the courage to eat some mashed potatoes and jelly. plus i dont know whether i can brush my teeth and use my flurouguard/corsydyl mouthwash tonight.

I am pleased that it went so well for you, CONGRATULATIONS :dance2::dance2::dance2::thumbsup::thumbsup::cheer2::dance::dance::dance::yay::yay::yay::yayy::whirl::whirl::whirl::wow::perfect: you just need to be careful with the fillings today and as long as you aren't eating anything too hard you will be fine to eat you evening meal and yes you can brush your teeth as normal and use the mouth wash.
The metal bits could be from when the filling was done as lord only knows how but even after rinsing I still find bits after.
If your gums feel sore which they often do after cleaning just be careful when brushing so that you don't make them more sore.

Why do you think where you have a missing tooth that it will bleed?

If it was taken out some time ago it should be fine. Don't starve yourself my dentist does say to eat soft foods after fillings for the rest of the day and I am always fine.

Good luck with your next appointment, although I don't think you need it :respect::respect::respect: well done :butterfly:

Hello Ellphee -

Nice to meet you :)…and well done! :jump: What you did today was a massive step forward, be sure to be nice to yourself tonight and recover a bit. This was probably the hardest part too, now you know what to expect so it will get a lot easier.

Lots of people on here doing Brave Things today ;D

thank you both :) im honestly so surprised at how calm ive been over it all. it was only two days ago that i actually walked in and i feel better already.

Carole, the tooth was never removed. it cracked and left the roots and my gum has grown over it now but im scared to aggravate it.

At the moment I've got two teeth that are actually bleeding i think. The blood just seems to have coagulated over the tooth. Can I try putting a regular teabag over them for 5 minutes to see if it helps them clot?

I have heard that a cold teabag is good for this but I am not too sure. I am hoping one of the dentists on here will chip in and confirm that it is fine. I don't think you can do any harm. I think it will be from your gums from the cleaning, if you are worried give your dentist a quick ring when they open and check with them the best aftercare treatment.

I do think you are going to be okay. I think it is wonderful how well you have done and that you have a wonderful dentist. :butterfly:

second visit done. And its actually my last until my NHS extractions. I was gobsmacked, I was expecting a lot more visits in the near future.

this visit was a little more unpleasant though.

Same again, a deep clean and fillings on the other side. This time she only numbed the top and very back of my mouth. And she didn't use as much.

I have to say, the deep cleaning on the bottom was slightly unpleasant but only because of the cold sensitivity. It wasn't painful really, just shocking. The fillings were just standard. Never been bad with fillings.

I did start to have a bad anxiety attack in there though, midway through treatment. The assistant was a bit lax with the suction and I already have anxiety over not being able to swallow so to feel all this water in the back of my throat was horrendous, especially as I was numb and couldn't feel my throat/tongue properly. I had to stop the dentist at least 10 times to try and swallow, shooting up in the seat and hitting my head on the light because I was scared id choke and almost reached the point of asking her to stop completely but thankfully the assistant from last week came in for the last ten minutes and after seeing my panicked face she rubbed my shoulder, told me I was doing well and then did an exceptional job with the suctioning after that during the fillings.

But that is me done, I can't believe it. My teeth are still stained a bit which was to be expected but I can't complain. My gums are sore because that was the worst side but its liveable. I don't need pain killers yet. Its almost like feeling sore after doing too much exercise.

Im happy. Im glad i forced myself to make that call. I really am. I have an almost healthy mouth and now I just need to keep on top of it. Keep it clean.

Back