• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Nervous about getting upper tooth cavity filled

U

Ulti

I just got back from a dental appointment and was told that a cavity on top had gone through the enamel. I came straight here because I'm a bit nervous about getting it filled and I wanted to keep myself from going to look up horror stories lol. I'm mostly nervous about getting an injection in that area; I'm afraid that it would be more likely to go systemic.

Hello Ulti,

Please get your filling ASAP. It will save your tooth and possibly your mental health in the long run! If it is through the enamel you will soon experience pain/discomfort and potentially a future root canal procedure. (I stupidly ended up in this situation!) Sort it out as soon as you can as procrastinating will only make the situation worse! Don’t overthink it! The fear we create in our own heads around injections/fillings/dental treatments isn’t actually the reality!! You can do this!!! Knowing everything I know now I will never delay a filling ever again.
You got this! Good luck

Hi Ulti,

first of all, well done on coming here instead of googling stories! I can reassure you that you will feel better after reading the posts here compared to google :) When it comes to injections on upper teeth, they can be done very comfortably, if pain is what you are worried about. With upper back teeth chances are you won‘t even notice a thing.
May I ask you what do you mean when you say you‘re afraid it would be more likely to go systemic?

All the best wishes

Hello Ulti,

Please get your filling ASAP. It will save your tooth and possibly your mental health in the long run! If it is through the enamel you will soon experience pain/discomfort and potentially a future root canal procedure. (I stupidly ended up in this situation!) Sort it out as soon as you can as procrastinating will only make the situation worse! Don’t overthink it! The fear we create in our own heads around injections/fillings/dental treatments isn’t actually the reality!! You can do this!!! Knowing everything I know now I will never delay a filling ever again.
You got this! Good luck

Hi,

Your message gave me the courage I needed to move up my appointment from 2 weeks to next week!

Hi Ulti,

first of all, well done on coming here instead of googling stories! I can reassure you that you will feel better after reading the posts here comparing to google :) When it comes to injections on upper teeth, they can be done very comfortably, if pain is what you are worried about. With upper back teeth chances are you won‘t even notice a thing.
May I ask you what do you mean when you say you‘re afraid it would be more likely to go systemic?

All the best wishes

God I don't even know myself. It's not the pain, I have a great dentist who's pretty good at minimizing that. I'm more worried about.... facial numbness? Anxiety is stupid.

You mean worry that more of your face will be affected than it should? Anxiety is just what it is: anxiety. But talking about it and gaining some clarity about what can an what cannot happen helps. Have you been numbed up in the past?

You mean worry that more of your face will be affected than it should? Anxiety is just what it is: anxiety. But talking about it and gaining some clarity about what can an what cannot happen helps. Have you been numbed up in the past?

I have been numbed up previously, but only on the lower part.

How was the numbness there?
With upper teeth, you will feel a bit numb around the tooth and the cheek next to it. Your tongue will be fine (that's usually a bit different with lower numbing)The more in the back the tooth is, the less strong the numbness feels in my experience.

From my experience, the upper injections usually affect a smaller area and dissipate more quickly than the lower ones. The lower ones linger more . I have had a lot of upper injections and they stay pretty localized to the area being numbed.

Back