• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Nervous and anxious about wisdom teeth removal

F

fearofwisdom

As stated by my username, I am deathly afraid of getting my wisdom teeth removed. All 4. Weird thing is, I LOVE going to the dentist to get cleanings and regular appointments. However, when my regular dentist told me the wisdom teeth needed to come out, I automatically got a weird feeling in the pit of my stomach. He referred me to an oral surgeon, and my mother and I went in for a consultation. I got X-rays and sure enough, the bottom two teeth are coming in horizontally but you can see them above my gums a bit. I really don't remember about my top two teeth, but when I look at them they seem to be coming in straight down. My mom made an appointment for the procedure and she ended up canceling it for some reason.

I am a sophomore in college now (19 y/o) and I decided the other day that I need to save myself the trouble and go ahead and make an appointment for myself. I called and oddly enough, they said they had an opening on July 9th for a consultation AND procedure. I knew this was an extremely rare occasion since some people have to wait MONTHS to get them removed, so I went ahead and reserved it.

I have NEVER had surgery, had an IV, been put to sleep, or given blood. However, when I was younger, I had to go to the dentist for a filling. They took me to the back and gave me Novocain where the tooth was and also gave me laughing gas (back when they asked what scent you wanted.. I picked strawberry). Anyways, I was about 10-12 years old and I was aware of what was going on, and it wasn't that bad.

I am reaching out to this forum because the responses I have heard are phenomenal, and I need some support. I woke up this morning sick to my stomach and could barely sleep last night because this procedure is all I can think about. I guess it's just the fear of the "unknown" or scaring myself into thinking that I won't wake up.

From what I remember, the first consultation went well -- They took X-rays and said they needed to come out. As always, we had to watch the "disclaimer" video about wisdom teeth removal, risks, and potential complications, which scared me out of my mind.

I've talked to two of my good friends, and they BOTH said they woke up during the procedure, but were somewhat unaware and went back to sleep. I guess I'm more afraid of NOT waking up than waking up during the thing. I don't really have a problem with the noises as long as I don't FEEL it, and now that I think about it, I don't think I'm scared of needles either. I'm just thinking about the big picture -- if it will go well or not. Please give me some hope or some things to calm me down! I am freaking out!:shame:

Just relax its easy enough. It is pretty standard procedure so nothing to worry about. But if I was in your place I would avoid IV. I have no trouble with it but I don't want to be sedated unless absolutely necessary. I experienced GA for eye surgery it was a breeze, waking up sucked tho.

So yeah if you don't like IV you can just avoid it but from what I can read people usually have pleasant experience with it. I had dental surgery without IV and honestly it would be just a waste on me because it was only 1 hour long so what is the point and I'm afraid of pain everything else is a go. I got numbed so hard my ear was numbed next 6 hours :ROFLMAO:

So again relax you are worrying for nothing, keep your self busy do fun stuff and when time comes just go with flow you are doing it anyway so no need to torture your self with those thoughts :)

Back