• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Nervous and Scared! | Deep Cleaning TODAY!

T

tdrturb0

Hi folks,

Ok, so I'm looking for a bit of support! I'm extremely anxious about my Deep Cleaning Procedure that starts today and is followed by 3 other appointments each within a week of one another. I haven't been to the dentist in over 10 years or so and I went for my first check up 2 weeks ago. I have great teeth, no cavities, but they told me I have early stages of periodontal disease and that a deep cleaning is required. I'm ridiculously terrified of needles and the periodontist told me they'd be giving me some local anesthesia and that it doesn't hurt. Obviously, they're not going to tell you it hurts though. Anyone have anything to offer as far as support? I'd REALLY love to hear your stories and to know that I need to get over my fear!

How does the procedure feel once you're numb?
How does the needle/serum injection feel to numb you and how many times do they "stick" you?
How long does it take to "get numb?"

Your advice will be my savior! Thanks everyone!

Scared and Nervous :hidesbehindsofa:,
TDR

Re: Nervous and Scared! | Deep Cleaning TODAY

I'm sorry, I don't have answers to your questions, but I just wanted to wish you good luck! I'm getting the same procedure done soon, but based on what I've read it's not bad at all! Here's hoping. :thumbsup:

Please let us know how it goes!

Oh yes, if you browse in the success stories section someone there wrote about his experiences with a deep cleaning. :)

I had my lower left quadrant done without the use of an injection. All that was used was a topical cream and an ultrasonic device to clear away plaque, along with some manual tools. While the treatment wasn't the most comfortable, it was far from unbearable. The hygenist told me she may or may not need to finish my treatment with the use of injections. After my initial treatment, my teeth and gums felt better almost instantly. When I brush my teeth in the area she cleaned, it feels quite good. I have to go in for my second treatment today, and let me tell you...I've lost no sleep over it after going through my first treatment! It's not nearly as bad as I thought! Hope this helps and I highly recommend GOING for a deep cleaning if you need it! Don't delay! It's worth the afterfeeling and the knowledge that you'll have your teeth for the rest of your life!

Regards,
TDR

Yay that's so awesome, thanks for sharing that! :jump: I actually look forward to mine because I want to feel what my teeth are like without all this plaque.

I especially like that you didn't need injections. Way to go! :thumbsup:

hi everyone
i tought i would give you a link to this website: oraqix.com

I use this product all the time now for my deep cleaning sessions with patients and it may be worth asking your dentist or hygienist if they would concider buying it in to thier practice. It is an injectionless aneasthetic which is squirted down into the gum without actually having to inject!

My patients love it and i would highly recommend it!

Last edited by a moderator:

Well, this should go under the "success stories" section, however this thread already exists so I'm not going to create another.

I'm finally done. The hygenist finished the procedure last night on my upper left quadrant. Last week, she finished two of my right quads. She used the topical numbing solution on the bottom and before she began the top, she tells me "okay, now we're going to try the anesthetic!" I'm like "WTF? Thanks for telling me now!" She did it so I wouldn't be thinkin' about it the whole time which I now thank her for! So she gets the injection ready, applied a small blue gel to a long cotton swab and placed it along my upper right gums. I closed my eyes and literally, within seconds my jaw was numb and ready to go. I hardly felt the needle, although I did feel the syrum being injected. It's not bad at all. The cleaning went, not only faster, but there was far less pain than when just the topical solution was used! Last night, she asked me if I wanted topical or anesthetics. I told her to give me the needle, then she says "never thought you'd say that huh?" After comparing the two, and the time it saved...it's really a no-brainer!

My treatment is done. I will now be going to the dentist every 6 months for a check-up so this doesn't happen again and I feel much better. My food tastes better and my breath is cleaner! For those worried...just do it! You'll thank yourself! Coming from the biggest baby ever, trust me! If I can do it, so can you!

No Scared and Nervous Anymore,
TDR

lanniesmith said:
hi everyone
i tought i would give you a link to this website: oraqix.com

I use this product all the time now for my deep cleaning sessions with patients and it may be worth asking your dentist or hygienist if they would concider buying it in to thier practice. It is an injectionless aneasthetic which is squirted down into the gum without actually having to inject!

My patients love it and i would highly reconmend it!

This is what my dentist used on my left bottom quad the first visit. It works, but wears off VERY quickly (5 minutes or so) and needs to be applied often. I honestly suggest going with the injection EVEN if you have major anxiety about needles. After the first needle, you'll say to yourself "that's all?" Promise!

TDR

Well done TDR, you make it sound like a walk in the park. Hope I can come through my treatment as well.

Well done TDR, you make it sound like a walk in the park. Hope I can come through my treatment as well.

I can tell you I had a cleaning done and got 7 fillings with anesetitc hardly felt anything at all what I did feel was the chunks of tartar I had on my lower teeth being scraped off but from 1 to 10 it was a 2 . Not nearly as bad as I thaught it was. Now I need to go back for some deep cleaning and I'm so scared that I will be bleeding and in pain. :cry: Help any one please!:cry::redface: