• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

New crown issue...wait it out or bite issue?

• Thread starter tigerstripedred
  • Start date
tigerstripedred

tigerstripedred

So I had a crown come off unexpectedly...there was no decay evidence...she burred off a little discoloration and made a brand new crown. The permanent was placed no numbing (my wishes) they offered...bite looked good.
it's been a week and a half...i have no issues with most of my normal food....with exception of flax crackers (whole flaxseed baked on a sheet and cut into crackers) so probably harder than a normal cracker...It's not pain just kind of comfortable... I thought avoiding it for a week might let it settle but if it's better it's only a bit

could it really be a bite issue? bruised from being pushed on a lot...she was holding pressure on it for a while there was a tiny bit of bleeding from the temp being removed.
I really don't want to go for a bite adjustment because I think I'm afraid they'll say it's something worseand I'll end up losing this tooth. I have no intentions of agreeing to a root canal on this one. The tooth that is left under the crown is pretty short so I have my doubts this crown will stay. A crown legthening is not something I want either...

I feel like i'm wasting her time by going. Could a crown look perfect but change the bite somewhere else and cause an issue. i feel like i should notice a bite issue even when I'm not eating....not only on certain consistancies.
I mean how bad is it just to leave it? I'm cool with eating harder things on the other side. Most of me just wants to ignore it.

i should add the former crown was a year and a half old...i did bite down on an olive pit 4 months ago which is what I think caused it to come off. there was no drilling before the new crwn was made...just a bit of rebuffing in hopes to have better results (forgot i bit that pit on that side) so basically it didn't get closer to the nerve so i don't se a reason for it to die 3 wks later

so it seems to be taking a lot more seed/ nut chewing for it to start feeling a little uncomfortable...
I guess it either is settling or died? This is why i haven't made an appointment yet...I don't want to schedule only to have it feel fine by the appointment. I don't really want to deal with dead so i probably would refuse an xray especially if it stops. Would i even really know it died if it has a crown and isn't infected? I knew with the last one but it was filled not crowned.

I am halfway to i don't want to do this crap anymore just pull them all...

Edit to add i have a cleaning on Oct 13th and am due bite wings so it's not like i'd be waiting forever to find out it died. I am just not ready to tell her to pull it if it is dead.

Last edited:
Hey there! I does really sound like it's settling and you should probably stop 'testing' it. Just let it be for a week or so. And, to answer your question, with or without a crown, if the tooth was dying, you'd likely be in wake-yourself-up-at-night pain all the time and not just have some irritation when chewing super hard food. I've had crowned teeth die and it feels exactly the same as non-crowned teeth.

she's not in till next friday anyway I just hate to wait till the last minute even though I know they'd work me in. It was so much easier not to freak out when she worked more often before she had kiddos. And I'm so mistrustful of new dental people etc that I don't want the new practice partner anywhere near me unless I'm dying or she's there and he has to do something she doesn't do. I don't even care that it's her brother in law lol.

I've only had the one die that i remember...i'm sure the broken one that started my dental adventures probably died at some point but i have zero recall of that. The only thing i remember about the filled one was it hurt to chew maybe there was some radiating discomfort but other the the lightning bolt when i guess it finally died nothig particularly hurt. The particular clue was some lack of full sensation to the gum tissue above that tooth. There was no infection though...so i guess that's why I'm so worried...i had no idea that tooth had died I actually went in completely unworried expecting a bite adjustment ( for once) teach me not to panic right....nope suprise you get a root canal for your birthday.

Also yeah I can't test it...all out of hard crunchy things till grocery day.

Had some cashews still seemed ok. I really think it died though the turn around seemed to abrupt in 12 hrs.. after a lot of almonds it was a little annoyed...by the last few. just a tiny bit...please tell me it's not dying :/ I have week before my dentist is back and i'm almost too scared to go because I don't know what I'd do if i lost it and i don't want an upper implant nor could i find a place i feel safe going. Plus gaping visible hole for a year...i will barely be able to leave my house. I'm so self concious anyway.

Last edited:
If you don't feel sensitivity to cold, chances are there is still an extra piece of cement in your gum!

Back