• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

New dentures needed

L

lostinteachin50

Hi everyone,
I was here a very long time ago (2010) under a different name (Gummymummy17 anyone? waves to those who may remember me ) I have had these full set of dentures since then.My one and only pair.They are worn, they are uncomfortable to wear, I know I desperately need to get some new ones. Money isn't the only thing that is holding me back (although I have been saving) It's this blasted dental anxiety/phobia. I am currently at the stage of researching, different types etc.I am in the UK.Even just clicking on each places website is making my heart race and I feel sick. What do I mostly feel sick about? This all consuming phobia.I am embarrassed that a person of my age (50) has a full set and has had a full set for the past 5 years.I feel I will be judged.I hate the fact that I don't know them but the worse thing is that I will have to remove them and open up my bare mouth to be examined and be in close contact with someone I don't know.I hate that ultimate feeling of vulnerability.
Once I have gotten over that I will need impressions made, o'h my !
Husband doesn't understand, neither does daughter (17) no-one does that is why I have returned to this forum.
My son (14) had dental surgery yesterday.Everything in me was screaming run, run, just get the hell out of there but I couldn't and I didn't. I kept it all in as I don't want to pass my fear onto my kids and even though I feel sick I make sure they never miss their 6 monthly check ups. My son will need braces so that will be the next thing. He had an unerupted tooth removed from his gum and has had loads of stitches but is doing well and the hospital were fantastic.We could not fault them.
Just wanted to be somewhere where others understood.

Hello,
Can you go back to the dentist where you got your dentures from? They'd already be familiar with your case.I too have full dentures and have dental phobias/fears.

Back