• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

advice needed on dentures

G

gizmo

is it possible for upper full mouth dentures to be made plateless???
my partner has already had a partial denture and now needs full mouth dentures
but would love to have the upper set without the plate
is this possible???
thanks

I am not a dentist but i think they are denture implant supported you might be wondering about. I know that the dentures are fitted and dont need to be removed to clean you just clean them as if they were your own natural teeth and you never have to remove them but i dont know if they are still on a plate i think the dentures just fit straight onto implants. The closest you will ever get to having no plates for teeth is if you opt for the Big implant, which is the one with an implant fitted into the jaw bone and then finished with a crown. There are no plates or removable teeth. They work just as natural tooth does with the implant immitating a root but as everybody knows these are expensive. Hope he finds what he is happy with.

thanks for that hopefully we'll come up with something

There's a device called "Ultra Suction" but I've read that it's difficult to clean its valves and as a result it's somewhat unhygienic (or something like that) - not sure though. There are a few forums specifically for denture wearers where you could ask for advice - you can find them on this page:

now thats the kind of item that i was looking for
now the possibilities grow:)
using the ultra-suction method she will just need to get a plate fitted
wait a few months for adjustment
when the time for adjustment comes just get the upper palate removed and fit the suction system
the suction system comes in at $141 roughly £85 plus dental fee's
imo a whole lot cheaper than full or partial implantation
thankyou for that piece of info
a great help:cheers:

As I said, there appear to have been mixed reviews about the system, so I'd suggest checking out some of forums specifically for denture wearers and getting their opinions. Here's some things that dentists have said about it:

"I think long-term, you need the hard palate for support or you're going to be overloading the residual alveolar ridges. If there were really such a simple solution as ultra suction dentures, you wouldn't see patients going for surgery and implants. I think it's more of a marketing tactic than anything else."

"The Ultra-Suction aka Swiss Lock System is different as it creates a vacuum chamber and uses a one-way air valve to extricate air in the chamber. Very dependant upon ridge form, tissue quality, impression, and bead line border.
Then theres that thing about cancer which I cant substantiate but none the less, dont want to get involved with.
I did 3 cases here and had 1 success before steering clear. 33% success rate just doesnt hack it for me."

"The main problem was : not increasing retention enough.."

In other words - I would investigate this a bit further before getting my hopes up too high. Best to hear it from the horse's mouth though and ask people who've actually tried it :)!

I've used it (once) for a patient, he'd read about it online and wanted to try it. It failed completely. I won't ever use it again.

Hi Gordon

Like many other practitioners, first I tear off the packaging, hook the wires, turn the power on and only then try to figure out how it works. You know what I am talking about :)
With my first case I opened the ulta suction kit. Two valves, caps, spacer, how difficult could it be. I only realised that beading was missing after reading the instructions.
For my second case I spoke to the chap at Biomedics. Once I put the valves in the correct position, that is 1-1.5mm above the suction chamber, an extension to encompass the tuberosity and beading in horseshoe shape, this thing worked marvels.
I have done 56 cases since with two failures in the mandible. I remade these 2 cases, shifting the valves 5 mm closer to the median line and they were spot on. The moral of the story is ' read the instructions first'.
Cheers
Martin Lonky DDS

EGYPTIAN DENTAL ASSOCIATION

THE EFFECT OF ULTRA-SUCTION SYSTEM ON THE RETENTION OF MANDIBULAR COMPLETE DENTURE

Author:
Hany SAL Badra; Iman AW Radi and Alaa Aboulela

Aim of the study: To investigate the effect of the ultrasuction system on the retention of mandibular complete dentures. Material and methods: This study was conducted on seven completely edentulous patients. Each patient received a maxillary and two mandibular complete dentures, a conventional (set I) and an ultrasuction retained denture (set II). Patients were left to function with each denture set for a period of one month during which they were recalled to test the denture retention at time of denture delivery, one, two and four weeks later. In the retention test a specially designed retention testing device was used to pull the dentures from their geographic centers. The collected records were statistically analyzed using the paired t test. Results: The mean retention values for set I dentures were 157.96 ± 29.75, 165.57 ±29.21,170.77 ±29.64 and 175.26 ±29.03 at the baseline and after one, two and four weeks respectively, while for set II dentures the values were 187.80 ±28.52, 196.17 ±29.18, 201.51 ±28.82, 206.93 ±28.56 at the baseline and after one, two and four weeks, respectively. Statistical analysis of these data revealed a significant increase in the retention after the application of the ultrasuction system and a significant increase in the retention of both sets of dentures by time (p≤ 0.05). Conclusions: The ultrasuction system increases the retention of mandibular complete dentures. However, further long term prospective clinical studies are recommended to investigate the biological effect of the system on the supporting tissues. Keywords: Retention, mandibular complete denture, ultrasuction device
Page Number:
  • Volume (56), Number (1.1), Jan 2010

Back