• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

New here and just need some comforting words

Z

Zoritsa

I went to the dentist yesterday after not going in almost 17 years.I knew I was scared,knew I had been avoiding the dentist for years,but was kind of surprised when I broke down and cried in sheer panic.

The good news...if you could call it that,is that because I have such anxiety,is that I finally have a dentist that will give me laughing gas(he's also giving me valium to take before hand,otherwise I don't think I could go back in knowing what I need to have done).All previous dentists have said they'd give laughing gas if I needed,but then proceeded to tell me I didn't need it.

I need a deep cleaning(half of mouth this visit,other half next visit),tooth pulled,and either a filling and a crown,or root canal and crown on December 1st.In January is when they will do the other half,which will be cleaning,and 2 cavities filled.

I'm looking forward to being pain free,but i'll admit,i'm freaking out about the tooth extraction and possible root canal.Also,i've never had laughing gas before,so not quite sure what to expect with that.

Thanks for letting me ramble,and for having a board strictly for this type of fear...as everyone I know thinks i'm being petty for getting this worked up over it.

Zori

It's perfectly okay to talk about your fears. You have taken the first big step and faced your fears by going to the dentists. That's the biggest stumbling block for many. You have overcome it. You already are a winner.

There are many people who fear the dentist. I deal with them practically every other day. Working in a dental office helps me understand your fears better.

Don't worry as you go back you will slowly lose all fear of the dentist. I have seen people who have been completely transformed after the third or fourth visit. Go for it.

Hiya...you sound pretty much like how i was....same things needing to be done also 5 extractions, 6 fillings, deep clean.

Last visit to dentist i almost passed out after having needle to numb me up.
it wasn't the needle it was the fear of everything. fingers in mouth, instuments, having nose covered by a hand or finger, would i feel pain etc.

Heres the good bit...2 months ago after being sick of getting toothache i thought i needed to get things sorted.
Went for check up, told them my fears, she wrote it all down.

Told me as above my treatment plan.
This was done in 4 stages so a quarter of my mouth at a time.
She sent me to doctor to get Valium.

It worked a treat and it helped me BIG time.

I have now completed my treatment and have a smile to be proud of again.
I wish i went years ago now.

The Valium helps you keep calm.
I took mine an hour and 45 mins prior to visit.

I took it too soon on 3rd visit, but i did manage to have work carried out still as i knew i would not be in any pain etc.

Good luck, you'll be fine i'm sure..there was no bigger baby than me and if i can do it anyone can!!

Nikki xx

Zoritsa,
I understand your fear, believe me! Shakinglikealeaf says there was no bigger baby than she. I smile at that because my terror was so intense I had to be heavily sedated and I do mean HEAVILY just to get me in the door when I first started with my dentist, And just like you, I found my dentist because I was so completely freaked out. The dentist I freaked out on could do nothing with me because I was such a mess so she referred me to another one who specializes in denttal phobics and she remains my dentist and will be for as long as she is in practice.
Just like you, I had not been to the dentist for many years and needed a lot of work done. We took it one thing at a time and though it took a few months and some good meds, we got it all done. In the process I learned I could trust her and now I can go without being medicated.
My best advice is to work closely with your dentist, take it one thing at a time and you will do great.
Blessings to you

With or without valium and laughing gas, the entire procedure will be painless! I had a big fear of dentists, pain and blood, and I was not given any drug or gas or sedation, just local anesthesia. But it was successful. You will be very lax and comfy once you take val and the gas. It might even be an enjoyable experience! XD

Back