L
lancslass
Member
- Joined
- Feb 17, 2014
- Messages
- 20
Hello
,
I'm 40 years old and petrified of the dentists, I suppose it began when I was little one of my baby teeth grew in a weird place and need to be pulled out, the dentist put me to sleep via gas and I remember feeling very sick from the smell, when I awoke I was in a lot of pain and the dentist stood there giving my dad a lecture on something or another, to me he was a big bad man who scared me and I never wanted to see again.
A few years (a lot) down the line I managed to chip one of my teeth the ones next to the front teeth and had to find a dentist asap, at this time I was eligible for free NHS dental care as my youngest was six months old at the time (found that out AFTER the treatment), anyway my husband (who is also petrified of the dentist) took me to my first appointment but waited in the car as he cannot even go inside the building, so I'm sat there and explained I was very nervous and to be honest he seemed very kind and understanding, after being prodded and poked for about 15 mins he said I would basically have to lose all my back upper teeth, the one I had chipped leaving me with all my lower intact and 4 real teeth in my upper.
I was proud of myself for even going but a bit disappointed to have to have all that work done, after scheduling another appointment I paid for the initial consultation and went on my way, went back for the teeth extractions again he was very kind and understanding, it got to my 4th appointment before he started to get snippy with me saying if I brushed more, flossed etc I wouldn't be in this mess and he wouldn't have to sort it out, by now I had paid him after every procedure £60 a time and to be honest couldn't wait for it to be over.
One appointment he took some impressions which just made me gag he told me to stop being a silly woman and get a grip, even to this day I gag just thinking about it, it was then he commented that junkies like myself shouldn't get treatment I was aghast as I have never ever taken drugs in my life, as I was walking round nigh on toothless I had to carry on going to him for treatment otherwise I would have stopped going.
After that incident I tried to ignore any comments he made and wished the treatments would be over and done with so I never had to see him again, it was a joyous day when my denture finally came and I could pay him the £200 for the fitting. Off I went bank balance a lot lighter but with a new smile.
A few years later I found out I shouldn't have paid anything for the treatments and I got talking to a friend of mine who used the same dentist she told me he got closed down for doing unnecessary dental work and charging when he was shouldn't have.
In the 18 years since then I still have the denture which is very ill fitting it moves and slides all over the place, because it moves and slides over the remaining 4 teeth these have ended up cracked and broken, to be honest they have never bothered me, I knew my last remaining front tooth was cracked but ignored it (head in the sand syndrome) today though I bent down just as my dog looked up he head butted me in the mouth and the cracked front tooth broke.
I have always been self concious of my teeth and now I daren't talk nor eat, I know I should go to a dentist but I do not want to go as I know I will be judged, never mind my dentures are that ill fitting I can't talk without gagging half the time, I don't want to be accused of being a junkie again, nor want the pain of the injections, or being lectured, or the pain.
I don't know how to fix this well I do go to a dentist
, but what will they do? take out the remaining teeth? give me a new denture meaning walking around toothless until it's made? one tooth has snapped right at the gum line so I cannot see how they can get that out without cutting into the gum, I have phone numbers for dentists in my area but cannot physically pick up the phone and speak to them.
I don't really know what I'm asking, support maybe? but if you got this far give yourself a shiney
,I'm 40 years old and petrified of the dentists, I suppose it began when I was little one of my baby teeth grew in a weird place and need to be pulled out, the dentist put me to sleep via gas and I remember feeling very sick from the smell, when I awoke I was in a lot of pain and the dentist stood there giving my dad a lecture on something or another, to me he was a big bad man who scared me and I never wanted to see again.
A few years (a lot) down the line I managed to chip one of my teeth the ones next to the front teeth and had to find a dentist asap, at this time I was eligible for free NHS dental care as my youngest was six months old at the time (found that out AFTER the treatment), anyway my husband (who is also petrified of the dentist) took me to my first appointment but waited in the car as he cannot even go inside the building, so I'm sat there and explained I was very nervous and to be honest he seemed very kind and understanding, after being prodded and poked for about 15 mins he said I would basically have to lose all my back upper teeth, the one I had chipped leaving me with all my lower intact and 4 real teeth in my upper.
I was proud of myself for even going but a bit disappointed to have to have all that work done, after scheduling another appointment I paid for the initial consultation and went on my way, went back for the teeth extractions again he was very kind and understanding, it got to my 4th appointment before he started to get snippy with me saying if I brushed more, flossed etc I wouldn't be in this mess and he wouldn't have to sort it out, by now I had paid him after every procedure £60 a time and to be honest couldn't wait for it to be over.
One appointment he took some impressions which just made me gag he told me to stop being a silly woman and get a grip, even to this day I gag just thinking about it, it was then he commented that junkies like myself shouldn't get treatment I was aghast as I have never ever taken drugs in my life, as I was walking round nigh on toothless I had to carry on going to him for treatment otherwise I would have stopped going.
After that incident I tried to ignore any comments he made and wished the treatments would be over and done with so I never had to see him again, it was a joyous day when my denture finally came and I could pay him the £200 for the fitting. Off I went bank balance a lot lighter but with a new smile.
A few years later I found out I shouldn't have paid anything for the treatments and I got talking to a friend of mine who used the same dentist she told me he got closed down for doing unnecessary dental work and charging when he was shouldn't have.
In the 18 years since then I still have the denture which is very ill fitting it moves and slides all over the place, because it moves and slides over the remaining 4 teeth these have ended up cracked and broken, to be honest they have never bothered me, I knew my last remaining front tooth was cracked but ignored it (head in the sand syndrome) today though I bent down just as my dog looked up he head butted me in the mouth and the cracked front tooth broke.
I have always been self concious of my teeth and now I daren't talk nor eat, I know I should go to a dentist but I do not want to go as I know I will be judged, never mind my dentures are that ill fitting I can't talk without gagging half the time, I don't want to be accused of being a junkie again, nor want the pain of the injections, or being lectured, or the pain.
I don't know how to fix this well I do go to a dentist
, but what will they do? take out the remaining teeth? give me a new denture meaning walking around toothless until it's made? one tooth has snapped right at the gum line so I cannot see how they can get that out without cutting into the gum, I have phone numbers for dentists in my area but cannot physically pick up the phone and speak to them.I don't really know what I'm asking, support maybe? but if you got this far give yourself a shiney


