• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

petrified but need to go somewhere

  • Thread starter Thread starter pussy cat
  • Start date Start date
P

pussy cat

Junior member
Joined
Jan 26, 2010
Messages
6
I have not been to a dentist since I was a teenager-I am now in my 60s ! disgusting I know - a terrible experience at a "school clinic" started it & remains in my mind now as vivid as all those years ago - the result is disgusting,the majority of my teeth have rotted into my gums & although over the years I have had abcesses I managed to treat them-I am not really in pain but totally embarresed,eating is difficult & my speech is affected-I know that this has got to end as I am getting more & more depressed & miserable-apart from my fear of dentists I now have the fear that it will be the worst case that the dentist has ever seen & nothing can be done the nearest I have got to a dentists surgery is when I accompanied my husband,waited in the waiting room for him & after 5mins had to go & wait outside - I live in the Birmingham area-can someone offer some help please
 
Does this help at all [outdated link removed] ?

Might be a good place to at least start.
You will not be the worst case the dentist has ever seen and there is never 'nothing' that can be done. The dentist you choose will be glad to help you and improve your quality of life. Dentists are so different from the ones you saw as a child. Have a good read around this forum especially the journals and success stories - it will give you confidence that you too can do this. Starting is the hardest part.

Good luck and keep posting :)

Cheers
Coolin:XXLhug:
 
thank you so much for your reply - I will take a look at the site
 
Hi Pussycat,we see lots of people in just your situation so you're not alone.
Find someone sympathetic who can spend time rebuilding your confidence and trust.There's sure to be people in Birmingham.
One of the very best things about my job is seeing the transformation in peoples confidence, happiness and outlook on life when they finally manage to get their treatment sorted.
Set the ball rolling, go for it.
Rob
 
Hi pussy cat, if you scroll down to the "Find or Recommend a Dentist" section of this forum, and then look in "Dentist Reviews and Recommendations", there are some for Birmingham and Sutton Coldfield. Some of them are old reviews, but the dentists concerned might still be there, or you might be able to look up their names. I sympathise re the school clinic experience - it wasn't Aldridge Road school dental clinic, was it? That's where I got my username from. I tend to think of it as the Gateway to Hell, though I believe it is now a chiropody clinic.
By the way, I too accompanied someone to a dental clinic some years ago, and had to go and wait outside, so you are NOT the only one. I pretended I was too hot. Very best of luck from a Brummie now living in Somerset. :hug:
 
Hi

Not sure if you are looking for NHS or private. If it is private then Scott Arms Dental is good and I would recommend Debi Hurst. I didn't go for over 25 years and not once did she make me feel stupid or talk down at me.

She just said "we'll your here now so let's see what can be done as there are always options". She went at my pace and at the end she gave me a treatment plan and I was never under any pressure to accept the work.

The cost of exam and X-rays was £73.

Kind Regards

Mark
 
Hi Pussycat,we see lots of people in just your situation so you're not alone.
Find someone sympathetic who can spend time rebuilding your confidence and trust.There's sure to be people in Birmingham.
One of the very best things about my job is seeing the transformation in peoples confidence, happiness and outlook on life when they finally manage to get their treatment sorted.
Set the ball rolling, go for it.
Rob

thankyou so much for your reply & as you are a dentist & have said that you have seen my type of situation before - that means a lot to me,i do feel more confident on taking the next step - thankyou again
 
Hi pussy cat, if you scroll down to the "Find or Recommend a Dentist" section of this forum, and then look in "Dentist Reviews and Recommendations", there are some for Birmingham and Sutton Coldfield. Some of them are old reviews, but the dentists concerned might still be there, or you might be able to look up their names. I sympathise re the school clinic experience - it wasn't Aldridge Road school dental clinic, was it? That's where I got my username from. I tend to think of it as the Gateway to Hell, though I believe it is now a chiropody clinic.
By the way, I too accompanied someone to a dental clinic some years ago, and had to go and wait outside, so you are NOT the only one. I pretended I was too hot. Very best of luck from a Brummie now living in Somerset. :hug:

thankyou for your reply - I am seeking out dentists & trying to find one who will be best for me-the experience I had was at stratford rd school clinic in sparkhill although on reading several experiences on here ALL school clinics have a lot to answer for ! their attitudes & treatments wouldn,t be allowed in this day & age - brutal & uncareing - I am certainly trying to get to the next step & being on this forum where people take an interest has helped - thankyou once again
 
Hi

Not sure if you are looking for NHS or private. If it is private then Scott Arms Dental is good and I would recommend Debi Hurst. I didn't go for over 25 years and not once did she make me feel stupid or talk down at me.

She just said "we'll your here now so let's see what can be done as there are always options". She went at my pace and at the end she gave me a treatment plan and I was never under any pressure to accept the work.

The cost of exam and X-rays was £73.

Kind Regards

Mark

thankyou mark - I am thinking that maybe a private dentist would be the better option & would be more tolerant,maybe a first visit anyway to see what can be done & what the total cost would be & I can take it from there - that surgery is not that far from me,maybe 10miles but worth it on recommendation - thankyou again mark
 
thankyou mark - I am thinking that maybe a private dentist would be the better option & would be more tolerant,maybe a first visit anyway to see what can be done & what the total cost would be & I can take it from there - that surgery is not that far from me,maybe 10miles but worth it on recommendation - thankyou again mark

A good private dentist will always allow much longer time slots per patient/treatment than is standard on NHS, so on this basis alone, other things being equal, they are more easily able to spend time making you feel comfortable etc etc. Best wishes...10 miles is nothing to travel for the right dentist...as many of us can testify.
 
Back
Top