O
Ohce
Junior member
- Joined
- Apr 24, 2007
- Messages
- 3
Hello all,
I have a terrible phobia of teeth themselves, and of cleaning my teeth. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me either so if you're wondering "What the heck" well then, me too. I haven't brushed my teeth in around two years, but before that it was once or twice every few months and that went on for a couple of years before that which, I know, is horrible, but every time I go to do it I'm too scared. I shake and cry. So eventually I just gave up.
I am horribly embarrassed. When I went to a dentist growing up, and told him of my phobia, he embarrassed me and shouted at me infront of the nurse and my Mum, and laughed me out of the office.
I am afraid this will happen again. I feel ashamed. I feel silly about my phobia. But I can't live my life afraid to smile anymore.
This must sound so awful.
I'm pretty sure a couple of my teeth will have to be pulled. I'm pretty sure my four front bottom teeth will all have to be pulled actually. I've resigned myself to that. I know that the gums that have receeded, well that's irreversible.
Basically; do you have any tips for talking to a dentist? I know it will be very difficult to find an NHS dentist in my area and it will probably take time, months probably, before I get to see anyone. I have no steady income so I can't consider going private at this point. I figure this will give me a little time to prepare. What would you suggest I tell my dentist? Will s/he understand my phobia?
Any tips, basically, to prepare and support me in getting help. Anything at all would be appreciated.
Thank you
I have a terrible phobia of teeth themselves, and of cleaning my teeth. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me either so if you're wondering "What the heck" well then, me too. I haven't brushed my teeth in around two years, but before that it was once or twice every few months and that went on for a couple of years before that which, I know, is horrible, but every time I go to do it I'm too scared. I shake and cry. So eventually I just gave up.
I am horribly embarrassed. When I went to a dentist growing up, and told him of my phobia, he embarrassed me and shouted at me infront of the nurse and my Mum, and laughed me out of the office.
I am afraid this will happen again. I feel ashamed. I feel silly about my phobia. But I can't live my life afraid to smile anymore.
This must sound so awful.
I'm pretty sure a couple of my teeth will have to be pulled. I'm pretty sure my four front bottom teeth will all have to be pulled actually. I've resigned myself to that. I know that the gums that have receeded, well that's irreversible.
Basically; do you have any tips for talking to a dentist? I know it will be very difficult to find an NHS dentist in my area and it will probably take time, months probably, before I get to see anyone. I have no steady income so I can't consider going private at this point. I figure this will give me a little time to prepare. What would you suggest I tell my dentist? Will s/he understand my phobia?
Any tips, basically, to prepare and support me in getting help. Anything at all would be appreciated.
Thank you
