• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

New Member/Terrified

  • Thread starter Thread starter mps5732
  • Start date Start date
M

mps5732

Junior member
Joined
May 13, 2009
Messages
5
Hello Everyone,

I have decided to take the plunge and try and make an appointment with the dentist. It has been about 10 years since I last saw a dentist and my teeth are in really bad shape. I grew up very poor and my parents never took me to the dentist, I finally went in my teens but never had enough money or insurance to keep up with going. I am now in my late twenties, graduated college and have a good paying job with insurance. I know I really need to go but I am so embarassed by how much I have neglected my mouth.

I have two broken molars, decay in the other molars, and my gums have receded horribly and my front teeth are loose. I know I probably have advanced periodontal disease. I am very anxious about making appointment and having strangers look in my mouth. I guess I fear what many people on this site fear; being chastised by the dentist, loosing my teeth, and the cost of saving the ones that can be saved. I think I will be okay once the first consultation is done, but just getting through that first visit is going to be really hard.

I am so anxious about going. My stomach is in knots and I feel nauseous. I feel this way just writing this message. Who knows how I will feel when I actually go...

I guess this a step in the right direction..
I will let you know how it goes..
 
Hi, mps5732 and [smiley=welcome.gif].
First of all, congratulations on making the appointment!!! Believe me, I know exactly HOW hard that was. My hands were shaking for quite awhile after I made my first appointment.
Second of all, the first appointment is usually a "get to know the dental office" appointment. There probably will be X-rays taken (those can be a bit uncomfortable but not painful) and then the dentist will assess the health of your mouth. Usually, no work is done. Make sure you tell the dentist how afraid you are.....he/she will go at a slower pace if they know you are afraid.
Remember that if, at any point, you don't like the dentist or what they are doing or saying, you can walk out or never come back. You are EMPLOYING them to do a job so if you don't like or agree with what they are doing, by all means, FIRE them!!
There are wonderful, caring dentists out there.....there is no reason to put up with anything less! If yours turns out to be less, leave and find someone else!!
I hope this one turns out to be wonderful and you'll be on your way to dental health!!!
Keep us posted!!
Many [smiley=hug.gif]'s,
Jen
 
Last edited:
I agree with Jen...the unknown is always scary no matter what it is... hang in there and remember who is in control of the situation, good luck. x xPenny
 
Hello, good luck..
Would someone please look at my post, called "Severe fears, for a simple Cavity and Root Canal, Help!?!?!" Much appreciated. I need advice soon. I'm terrified, and just thinking abu=out a dentist makes me shiver, and feel sick. Help please. Thanks!
 
So I have my appointment tomorrow at 2:30pm. I am freaking out alittle bit. As the appointment approaches I think more and more about just canceling, but I know I can't and I really need to take this first step.

I just keep trying to remind myself that I am doing this for my health and that maybe it won'tbe as bad as I think.

Wish me luck, I will update after I go.8-)
 
It is an hour until my appointment, and I feel like I am going to faint.....I am really scared..*:'(
 
mps, just walking in for that first appointment is the hardest..and by the time you read this..you'll be done with that! [smiley=hugging.gif]
 
TW is right, the first appointment is the hardest as you have to overcome the embarrisment that you feel but you are showing the person who will fix all the problems. They are only concerned on how to make it better rather than how it got like that. So many people say that the dentist just says that you are here now, that is all that matters.

I hope you feel better now that bit is out the way, from here onwards you will just get better and healthier. [smiley=hugging.gif]
 
Thanks everyone for being so encouraging. So I went and explained everything to the dentist and she was really understanding. I got a full spectrum of x-rays and a brief cleaning.

So I here are my results; I need two extractions, a deep cleaning, a crown replaced and three fillings. Considering how long its been since I have been to the dentist, I guess the results aren't too bad.
And the dentist said my peridontal disease is very mild, and that she thought I was imagining the worst.
I even got the courage to tell my fiance what was going on. Up until now, I haven't told anyone about the state of my mouth because I was sooo embarssed. I feel relieved about that. Now I have some support in person, which is nice [smiley=cloud9.gif] And the cost, while it will be a couple hundred dollars-- it isn't anything like I imagined it would be.
Interestingly, I also found out that I don't have any wisdom teeth! [smiley=angelic.gif]

I am glad I finally went and that I will start my road to a healthier mouth and life. For anyone reading this-- if you struggling with the decision to go to the dentist, you may be scared and anxious--it is worth going to prevent any more costly problems down the road. The problems may not be as bad as you imagine. Try and find someone in your life that you trust to talk too, it really, really helps to know your loved one doesn't judge you as much as you judge yourself.

My fillings are scheduled for 8/3, but I will be updating everyone on my progress. I love this website and every one on it, it really gave me the courage to finally take the step to take charge of my life.[smiley=hugging.gif]
 
Well done mps!! [smiley=jumping.gif]
 
Thats great news, well done.[smiley=jumping.gif]
 
Back
Top