• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Newbie full of fear and shame

F

Footprints1973

This is my first post to this particular board. I am embarassed to admit this, but I have not been to the dentist in 5 years. I am 34 years old. I was getting over my phobia so I went to a dentist. Last time I went I had to cavities filled...a few months beore that, I had deep cleaning of my teeth and gums due to a few years of not going to the dentist due my phobias. I was supposed to go back and have 3 more filled but I never did because I was saving up money to do so.
Then I got pregnant, had my child, and haven't been back. She's had many health issues we've had to deal with (and spend money on), so our focus has been on that. I've neglected my teeth, I admit I should be doing better. I don't floss much, I have gingivitis and phobias about my teeth and gums and don't want to even look at them, I am afraid I'll see a huge rotting tooth or something:(
Anyway, those few cavities I had to still have filled are probably worse. I am so scared to go back because I'm afraid I will have more cavities and need root canals or something. My husband and I aren't exactly poor but we do live paycheck to paycheck and can't afford ROOT canals or stuff like that. I probably also need a deep cleaning of my gums which is expensive too.
What should I do? Should I go back to the same dentist and have him yell at me for not coming back when I supposed to? He was ok, I don't think he was trying to rip me off or anything. He knew my money situation, but they did not accept payment plans. I have dental insurance through work but it is pretty pathetic, it has a pretty big deductible and only covers xrays and cleanings the first year of coverage (which I am under).
Sorry this is so long....any advice from someone who has overcome these issues?
thanks,
Footprints1973

Hi! If you are scared of having stuff done you could try nitrous oxide, its great for relieving anxiety.

I haven't exactly overcome it but I am getting better. You can read my journal for my full story but I am 32 and hadn't been in nearly 10 years. Luckily, most of the problems I have now are just old dentalwork that is starting to fail. I had only a few surface cavities that they think will remineralize with flouride. Even my gums were in pretty good shape. Believe me, I was expecting the worst but once I went, I knew EXACTLY what I had to deal with. I had nitrous for the first time today and it made a HUGE difference. I took my time researching dentists and found one that I feel comfortable with. Most practices have financing, but it's worth it in the long run. You can do this. Just take it one step at a time.

thanks mikey and ahhhh...it's good to know I am not alone. I've had nitrous and it's a nice feeling, takes the edge off...the last dentist I went to charged $50 a pop, I actually used it for the gum cleaning, not the cavity filling. It does nothing for the pain of course.

Aaah, I live in FL too...I am going to check out some of the recommendations on this board....I've heard horror stories around here (FL) about dentists saying oh you need 5 root canals and then they go for a 2nd opinion somewhere else and they get a much less extensive (and expensive) opinion.
So money is a major issue.

Thanks again.
Laura

The dentist I go to is in Orlando. He has a pretty minimalistic approach. I was surprised. If I had gone to him years ago, I prob wouldn't have ended up with 3 crowns. If that's the area you are looking in, I'll be happy to give you his info.

Hi Footprints and :welcome:!

Money was an issue with me too. That gave me almost as much anxiety as the dental work itself! Like you, my dental insurance at work wasn't the greatest, although a little help is better than no help at all. I ended up having to pay over $5,000 out of pocket for all my work and I had to put it on my credit card. My dentist did not accept payment plans or CareCredit.

In regard to the dental anxiety, IV sedation is great if you need a lot of work done where it's going to take a while. I'm sure nitrous is great for short treatments. I did the IV sedation and it was wonderful. I am afraid of needles, but I took a Valium an hour before the appointment. By the time I got there, I was so loopy, I didn't even notice he was putting the IV in. Three seconds later (literally), I was out for the count. What seemed like a minute later, he was waking me up and I was done. Almost 3 hours passed! I'm telling you, that IV sedation is a godsend.

thanks mikey and ahhhh...it's good to know I am not alone. I've had nitrous and it's a nice feeling, takes the edge off...the last dentist I went to charged $50 a pop, I actually used it for the gum cleaning, not the cavity filling. It does nothing for the pain of course.

Aaah, I live in FL too...I am going to check out some of the recommendations on this board....I've heard horror stories around here (FL) about dentists saying oh you need 5 root canals and then they go for a 2nd opinion somewhere else and they get a much less extensive (and expensive) opinion.
So money is a major issue.

Thanks again.
Laura

Hi Laura,
Where in FL are you? I'm in Jacksonville. PLEASE get to the dentist and get your issues taken care of. I guarantee you that the fear of the unknown is far worse than when you find out! I just had my first appointment in over 20 years 2 weeks ago and I could kick myself for waiting so long. You will find the right dentist for you, and you can always finance the amount that you need. There are a few places that I can recommend, and one of them will be able to help you regardless of your credit history. Anyway, let me know where you're located and maybe I could help you find a great dentist!
Peace,
Susan
P.S. I'm also a member of Dr. Oogle and can check out a dentist for you! It's nice to hear other opinions before you get there.

If you're anywhere near Orlando, could I recommend Dr Liz Dreyer very highly. Her husband Mark is one of the best endodontists I've ever seen.

Nice people too.

Thanks everyone for the replies...lots of FL people here. LOL...actually I am in the St. Pete area and I saw a recommendation for a dentist there, so I am looking into it more!

I will have a wee bit of dental insurance thru work that starts in March, just a few weeks to put it off more...it has a $100 deductible but will only pay for basic cleanings and xrays the first year of my coverage. (I know weird). But at least it's something.

You all are great...thanks again!
Footprints1973

Back