• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

NHS complete dentures

C

Catie

Can anyone help? I just had all my upper teeth removed and have an immediate denture. This was on Tuesday and it is now Friday. I had this done at the maxilo facial department of my local hospital. The immediate was feeling pretty comfortable and I left it in for 24hrs as advised before removing it to clean. I now can’t get it back in because it is so painful around the sockets. I look hideous without the teeth and am panicking that I won’t get them in again. I keep trying but it is just too painful. I’m due back at the hospital to have them realigned in 3 weeks and then will have all the bottom removed and fitted with an immediate for them. I’m feeling very upset right now and sore and feel ashamed. I’m 45 years old

Can anyone help? I just had all my upper teeth removed and have an immediate denture. This was on Tuesday and it is now Friday. I had this done at the maxilo facial department of my local hospital. The immediate was feeling pretty comfortable and I left it in for 24hrs as advised before removing it to clean. I now can’t get it back in because it is so painful around the sockets. I look hideous without the teeth and am panicking that I won’t get them in again. I keep trying but it is just too painful. I’m due back at the hospital to have them realigned in 3 weeks and then will have all the bottom removed and fitted with an immediate for them. I’m feeling very upset right now and sore and feel ashamed. I’m 45 years old

I'm sorry you are having this upsetting experience. I haven't had dentures but I have read quite a few accounts from people who have, and several of them have had the same problems as you having. There certainly seems to be a period of adjustment, but if you keep doing what your dentist is telling you to, I'm sure everything will work out well in time.
Pain is horrible, anxiety about the future is horrible, and I completely understand your feelings of sadness and frustration right now, but there is no reason whatsoever for you to feel ashamed-none! You are incredibly brave and you are going through a huge change; be gentle with yourself?. Hopefully one of the dentists and people with denture experiences will be along soon to offer advice and support.
Can you go and see your dentist to discuss how you feel, before your next appointment?
Just try to relax and not worry too much right now, just take it one day at a time.
Sending you all best wishes!

Who made the immediate denture? Get on the phone to them and request an urgent appointment.
You have to expect these kind of issues with immediate dentures, it's not a big deal for the dentist to sort it out, you do not want to spend days without the denture in.

They are nhs ones done by the maxilo facial department at the hospital. They were very comfortable when they were put in immediately after extractions although fixative had to be used but the bruising around the sockets makes it unbearable for anything to touch it.

They need to be adjusted. Contact the max-fac guys and ask them to arrange it. Immediate dentures involve a fair amount of educated guesswork on how the gums will heal up, they almost always need adjusted within the first 48 hrs.

Second what Gordon says. Call them. You should have been seen the day after the extractions. I went every week for the first month that I had mine. I’m going every other week now even though I don’t feel I need to be seen that often, that’s what the dentist insists on.

Back