• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Nitrous oxide effects - how does it make you feel?

Susanne

Susanne

What has everyone else's experience with nitrous oxide been like? How did it make you feel? I've only had it a couple of times many years ago and I don't remember it making me feel less anxious, but I do remember my legs feeling heavy.

When you've had it, did it make you feel strange, woozy or sick at all? Or do you think it helped your anxiety or lessened any discomfort?

I have had it multiple times. I had two different experiences. Most of the time, I got the heavy leg feeling but also a dreamy feel, like right before you fall asleep. Everything felt dream-like and it did take away my anxiety.
One time the endodontist turned the strength up a little too high and I did get a little nauseous but I was able to let her know and she turned it down.

I've had it at least 50 times (19 root canals from my mid-teens to late 20's), and it always made me feel far away from everything going on in the dental office. I could hear and sense the dentist and assistant working on my mouth, but they didn't matter at all since I was just laying there feeling relaxed and happy. You do need enough though, and I would often ask them to crank it up. If it wasn't high enough, it did nothing at all. Also, if there was ever any pain, I would be yanked back to reality very quickly.

I had it once when I was a teenager, and it's the weirdest thing that I can still remember how foggy and drunk I felt during the visit. I remember having the mask put on, breathing, counting down, then it's just a blur - I was aware of things, but it was like I was watching some really hoaky 1920's black and white film. Then, after the appointment, I fell over a potted plant and thought that was the funniest thing in the world. The receptionist did not share my amusement. It definitely helped dull the pain during the visit. I forget what the dentist was even doing, and I suppose that's the magic of nitrous.

The giddy/euphoric/relaxed feeling comes from mild oxygen deprivation to your brain, so people may react in various ways to nitrous oxide. I only had it once as a child when I had to get 3 baby teeth pulled and I was petrified. The nitrous made me absolutely relaxed, I felt no fear and no pain. It was like magic and I was so happy when it was over and I felt great!

Back