• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

No laughing gas or aka nitrous oxide offered. Will they use something else Before GA ?

A

Alex_1

No laughing gas or aka nitrous oxide offered. Will they use something else Before GA ?

Planning on getting all 4 wisdom teeth out on Thursday. I'm very nervous. After my consultation I remembered the doctor NOT saying anything about laughing gas or really anything given to me before I go to sleep. So after, I called the place and asked if they had gas and they said they don't. So I'm kida confused, cause I'm sure they deal with nervous patients all the time, so what they just walk in there about to have a panic attack and nothing is given to help clam them down ? I didn't bother asking them anymore questions I was starting feel like I was annoying them. So if they don't have gas dose anyone know what else they would use to help take the nerve off? Would they give something threw the IV before GA ? I don't see what a pill dose at that point cuse it could mess up the GA and its time consuming. I'm hoping there's something they give me to help clam down. Has anyone gone to places like this were there isn't any gas ? If not what did they do? They seem to be a very big group of doctors and assistants serving a high populated area, so I would think they'd have it all . Usually independent doctors like 1 doctor and his private practice don't use that gas or any of that. You just walk and that's it.

Re: No laughing gas or aka nitrous oxide offered. Will they use something else Before GA ?

You mention that you are going to sleep? If you are going to sleep you wouldn't need laughing gas becaus eyou will be asleep. :hmm:

What exact procedure are you going for with the extractions? Will you be awake, will you have conscious or unconscious sedation?

Re: No laughing gas or aka nitrous oxide offered. Will they use something else Before GA ?

I see your point. It's confusing because where I live it's common for most people no matter what the producer is that they have something that is given before they go to sleep. 3 of my friends who have done this were given gas before they went to sleep for the extraction, they had GA as well. So of course where I am going to go they don't have gas appently. One of friends was given a shot in the arm before the IV to help relax them. But thats the only time ive ever herd about an actual shot before GA. I have to get all 4 wisdom teeth out and they are going to use GA to put me fully to sleep. I know it's strange, there isn't really point for anything else. Just odd everyone else is here were I live had gas or some sort of pre medication. Especially at a oral surgery practice. But I may be wrong, each place has there method I just hope there's something that they have to help with anxiety of the whole thing.

Absolutely pointless to get laughing gas before going to full sleep. You will be out under 10 seconds.

Re: Wisdom teeth removal went well.

So I went Thursday morning to get all 4 wisdom teeth out and had no issues. It was a very weird experience though. Got into the chair/bed thing, got all hooked up to these machines. The doctor was cool and very friendly. I was so nervous we could hear my heart rate get really fast then it would slow down some then get faster again over the monitor ?, Particularly because the trey of instruments was elevated right over my chest and I could see the ends of the tools that wernt covered by the cloth. But the nurse, doctor and I chatted for a few mins while they were doing final preparations. The doc put a band around my arm and put the little iv tube in my arm and explained I'd be feeling very sleepy and woosy in a few mins. Then out of no where I felt really relaxed and everything became bendy. Then the nurse asked me if the lights were moving and I said "yea" and I think I was kida laughing. I remember trying to talk but it was just mumbles at that point. That was the last thing I saw and remembered. I woke up in a some recovery area and had no idea how much time had passed. I know I couldn't walk. I was put into a wheelchair. Haven't had any pain what so ever which is surprising. Just some sweeling and a lot of bleeding. It's been 3 days and it's still beelding time to time. The whole thing went way better than I thought.

Back