• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

No temporary crown given?

AngelCatMei

AngelCatMei

Dear all,

Decided to create a new thread so it in any case of others having the same experience as me will be able to find some answers!

I got my root canal tooth shaved down in preparation for permanent zirconia crown that will be arriving in two weeks time. Was expecting a temporary crown, was very nervous about it as well since I really didn't want to accidentally swallow it while I'm eating or sleeping or even worse .. it popping out while I'm talking to hotel guests.

Still, I was quite surprised to hear that my dentist won't be giving me temporary crown before he proceed to shave my molar down for short and small. He explained that even if I avoid chewing on that side with a temporary crown, with me just biting down will cause unnecessary pressure to that tooth so he want to avoid that from happening. I don't know if that makes sense or he simply just want to rush through with his appointment.

I was given half a dose of anesthetic, was numb from like 11am to 3pm. The procedure itself is fine, I don't feel any pain from the tooth as it's a dead tooth anyway. But when he's packing the gum with the cord, in preparation for impression, it's so so painful. Even with the numbing shot, I could feel that pain. He mentioned that I can chew as per usual, just avoid hard and crunchy food but if I can best is to chew with the opposite side.

So, here I am today without a temporary crown for two weeks. And here I am wondering is this even normal. My gum seems red, it feels tender and sore. As if I'm getting a gum infection. Don't know if that's normal or should I call the office and be drama mama about my gum.

Afraid that any bacteria or sugar could cause the shaved down tooth further damage. Really don't know. Anyone had the same experience?

Attachments

• IMG_20200323_150331.jpg
    IMG_20200323_150331.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20200323_150354.jpg
    IMG_20200323_150354.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20200323_151819.jpg
    IMG_20200323_151819.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 10
The gum inflammation is because of all the mucking about getting the retraction cords in to get a good impression, should clear up quite quickly.
Bacteria etc could potentially go into the prepared tooth, but it's not likely to be a big issue for the short time involved.
Personally I'd be more bothered about the tooth drifting a bit without having a crown on it to stabilise it, it's not how I would have left it. It might mean a lot of fooling around at the fitting stage to get the bite correct.

Angelcatmei,

Sorry you are going through this.. it really is nerve wracking . and I can say I went through similar thing.. I had a root canal , where my dentist did the first part and couldn't get to it. he did a ct scan before I left that first appt which showed there was another root you couldn't see via xray. so he left this little short stump of almost nothing tooth I had with a minimal build up around it.. no temp tooth... for a week until I came back for root canal part 2 where he would try to get into the other root and finish the root canal.. It was TOTALLY weird and freaky having that short stump and I was so excessively careful around it. very nervous.. It didn't cause me any pain, but was mostly weird. and a little sensitive . I went back and he tried to get the other root but couldn't it was totally calicified.. which not a big surprise to me..he gave me two options.. to to to an endodontist to try the rootcanal there and if not an apico.. or... pull it and do an implant.. he did tell me the small amount of tooth I had left anyways the crown would be very compromised so I decided to go with the implant route and a more solid option that would take a lot longer but also last longer.

I hope you can find a good solution and get good care !! and in the meantime I hope you can live with that small stump as best as possible. it is not easy.. I know....

The gum inflammation is because of all the mucking about getting the retraction cords in to get a good impression, should clear up quite quickly.
Bacteria etc could potentially go into the prepared tooth, but it's not likely to be a big issue for the short time involved.
Personally I'd be more bothered about the tooth drifting a bit without having a crown on it to stabilise it, it's not how I would have left it. It might mean a lot of fooling around at the fitting stage to get the bite correct.

Thank you, Gordon for your reply.

The gum seems to be less 'angry' today. But my tooth seems to be a little sensitive today even though it shouldn't be as it already had root canal.

Thank you for explaining to me about the situation without a temporary crown as well. Definitely sure most dentist won't leave it without one. But is there any event when you saw one without a temporary crown, beside from me?

Really hope that those bacteria won't get into the tooth as most enamel should be gone by now since he shaved it short.

I cannot think of a reason why not making a temp crown but never say never...
the explanation you gave sounds strange.
as Gordon said, the main problem with not having a temp crown is that the teeth will migrate.
Having said that, if your dentist is experienced making crowns like that and the crowns are good, who cares about a temp crown. The final result counts.

I'm sure you could think of a reason where a temp crown wasn't needed, say a tooth with no opposing teeth and nothing round it.
I'd be less worried about bacteria contaminating the tooth than the drifting issue, but your dentist has the advantage of seeing the situation rather than just photos.

I'm sure you could think of a reason where a temp crown wasn't needed, say a tooth with no opposing teeth and nothing round it.
I agree

I felt a bump on my upper inner side on the gum around the tooth, look into the mirror using my small dental mirror, there's like a pimple there.. I think it's an abscess.. which I don't get it why it was fine before the crowning procedure. Am I going to lose another tooth now?

Hopefully there's slot for appointment at the dental tomorrow.

I cannot think of a reason why not making a temp crown but never say never...
the explanation you gave sounds strange.
as Gordon said, the main problem with not having a temp crown is that the teeth will migrate.
Having said that, if your dentist is experienced making crowns like that and the crowns are good, who cares about a temp crown. The final result counts.

There's tooth opposing it and my second molar and premolar are around it too. That was the explanation that was given to me by the dentist. He legit phrase exactly as what I mentioned earlier one.

But thanks for the reply! :) Appreciate it. I'm giving the dental clinic a call tomorrow as that tooth started throbbing now, and that there's a gum boil too. Hopefully they're able to give me an appointment tomorrow.

Woke up today and the "gum boils" are gone. There's two yesterday, filled with water blister. Now it's replaced with multiple red cluster that look like herpes type 1, I was having cold sores on my lips now too and during the dental crown procedure. I do occasionally get herpes on my gum, it will be multiple red cluster and will bleed when I brush it. Then if will turn to white cluster and be gone in a week.

I shall see how it goes for today and tomorrow. If it's really herpes then I won't need to go to the dentist since I usually leave it alone.

I'm back from my dental appointment. He took an x-ray for in case, he say there's seems to be a little shadow on one of my root (where I have pain the most when I brush or press on it). But he say let's give it a benefit of doubt as the root canal was done beautifully and it's not like I have constantly throbbing pain or abscess. I'll still have my crown put on next week, and hopefully that the crown will not cause any pain. He did remind me that even if a root canal is done by an Endodontist, it's still a hugely once damaged tooth, root canal is just buying time for an implant or bridge or denture as there's no way bacteria can be fully cleaned out. He did mentioned that he won't do surgery and cut my tooth root now as it's still early and little symptoms. He told me to let's give this tooth a chance to heal and if in the future it has like huge abscess with pus or throbbing pain, then let's pull it out.

He diagnosed me with herpes type 1 with the swelling and red cluster marks on my gum. He's the first ever dentist that I came across who told me herpes type 1 could spread to tongue and gum too. I am aware of that too but I just wanna make sure. He told me to go and see a GP and get some antiviral medicine.

Hi! Wondering how your tooth is now? My dentist didn’t attach a temp crown after my crown prep today on an RCT tooth because she said temp crowns have a risk of causing damage to a brittle tooth and she doesn’t want to have that risk. I’m going back in two weeks for the crown fitting but now I’m freaking out a bit because I didn’t realise this was not the norm! The stub is sensitive but I figured that’s because work had just been done on it! I’m on antibiotics for something else so I’m not worried about infection but it is sensitive to cold. Should I demand a temp crown?! I don’t need this rubbish over Christmas ??‍♀️

Back