• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

numbing upper vs lower teeth

S

Stacen

I have to get 3 fillings side by side on my upper molars...i get very anxious when im frozen..i just cant stand the feeling of it.

I know the lower teeth feel way more frozen when you get them done.

So my question is..with my upper teeth will it only be the teeth that feel frozen (like when i bite down) or will my lip and face feel numb too???

Thank you!!

Hi Stacen, with numbing of upper molar teeth your teeth and cheek generally go numb. It also feels different when you bite down. Your top lip probably wont feel very numb (like when you have your lower teeth numbed). But remember, your teeth will actually be numb for the work that is to be carried out. So no worries there :)

Thanks..i was kind of hoping it just stays local to the teeth. i get really anxious when i feel it run a long my lips and face :S

No problems Stacen

Hi Stacen, with numbing of upper molar teeth your teeth and cheek generally go numb. It also feels different when you bite down. Your top lip probably wont feel very numb (like when you have your lower teeth numbed). But remember, your teeth will actually be numb for the work that is to be carried out. So no worries there :)

This post was very helpful - I too find the numbing of my lip and tongue creates anxiety. I am having two extractions tomorrow, upper molar and lower molar on the same side - is it likely the upper anesthetic will numb the tooth and cheek but not the lip and the lower anesthetic will numb my tongue and lip and the tooth?

Is it possible to only numb the tooth on the lower jaw? It helps to be prepared and its so long since I had treatment on the lower, I cant remember. Had a root canal on front incisor a few months ago and my whole nose went numb - but I coped as short acting anaesthetic. I am a bit worried about the whole of the side of my face, lips and chin feeling numb tomorrow.

Any information gratefully received.

It's only half of your tongue, lips to midline etc

Thanks for the link - looks like I am going to feel fairly numb - roll on this time tomorrow.

I tell you what, this anxiety is like falling off a bike and waiting too long to get back on - who would have thought that in hindsight, having the odd filling in the past decade might have helped me stay in the swing of things - such extensive work and then a long gap seems to have made me forget all the confidence and bravery I had the first time around

Well I don't think anyone...even the most relaxed of us...looks forward to extractions....not because its awful but because you are removing a tooth rather than fixing a tooth.

Back