• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Ok To Have Composite Fillings Done Before Root Scaling?

S

Skittles123

Hello. I recently went to the dentist for the first time in at least 20 years. I need 9 fillings and to have a root scaling/deep cleaning done (they said I have some bone loss). On my treatment plan they had me doing the cleaning first in 2 seperate visits, followed by two more visits to do the fillings. First available appointments for the cleaning are the end July, which I am scheduled for. Today I called to go ahead and schedule the appointments for the fillings to and the lady in the office said they could get me in to do the fillings next week. I scheduled those as well, happy to go ahead and get them done with, but now im worried that may not have been wise. Should i be doing the deep cleanings first before the composite fillings? Will the cleaning change the color of my teeth? Especially since its been so long since they've had any sort of proffesional cleaning done to them? From what i understand they match the composite filling material to the color of your teeth, right? So if they do that first and then the deep cleaning makes my teeth whiter or cleaner will the fillings no longer match and look obvious? 5 or 6 of them are right up front on top and will be very visible. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The cleaning won't really change the colour of your teeth, not to the extent that the fillings won't match. The only reason I'd be concerned is that inflamed gums can bleed a bit more than normal, so it would make the job of putting the composites in a bit more of a challenge for the dentist.

Back