• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

One more question.....sorry just petrified

  • Thread starter Thread starter hartsada
  • Start date Start date
hartsada

hartsada

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 25, 2012
Messages
218
With an upper wisdom tooth fully erupted no nerve...local anesthetic...will you ALWAYS need painkillers or does it depend on the person? I am VERY sensitive to most pain medications. My OS says Motrin about 600 or higher will work. Is the pain worse then that? They are giving me Tylenol # 3 just in case but I get pretty sick with those. I am more worked up about the afterwards. When I spoke to my dental tech today she said not to loose sleep over this extraction and yet I am :shame::shame:. I guess I won't know much more until its done..if I survive the worrying!!!:eek::cry:
 
Believe me the worrying and waiting is the worst! Plus your imagination! I worried about my extraction today for a week and almost cancelled 4 times today...But I knew it had to be done ....It will be fine. I had all my wisdom teeth out in february..3 with sedation and one without...Don't worry...It will go okay!
 
You had one today? I'm sure you know what's going through my mind...how do you feel now? Which one did you have? May 14 can't get here soon enough for me..thanks for your support..


QUOTE=lillyh;141128]Believe me the worrying and waiting is the worst! Plus your imagination! I worried about my extraction today for a week and almost cancelled 4 times today...But I knew it had to be done ....It will be fine. I had all my wisdom teeth out in february..3 with sedation and one without...Don't worry...It will go okay![/QUOTE]
 
Yes i had my upper right side premolar extracted today at 3 pm..I came home and took ibuprofen and made supper..I'm now on the couch with an ice pack on my face(dentists instructions to help mild swelling) I feel okay and no pain...So far so good..I just had local injections no sedation or nitrous gas....
 
Hi lillyh you kept that one quiet, glad it went well for you. Nice to see you back.

hartsada everyone is different after in how they heal and what pain they have, a lot of the time it is just a bit of discomfort. You may find that your jaw is a bit achey but nothing that a mild pain med can't deal with. I know you are afraid of taking meds but in small doses if needed won't hurt.

Lillyh is correct and this stress you are putting yourself through really is worse than any treatment or after effects that the dentist will do to you. You are not alone in this, we have all done it and no doubt will do it again.

I am wishing your appointment to come quickly then you can just go and hopefully your fears and worries will be no more.

Good luck :clover::clover::clover: don't be sorry, you ask as many questions as you want and we all rant and rave on here, it is good to share. A problem shared is halved and all that. :hug::hug::hug:
 
Hi, as from late yesterday about 8 hours (after x7 extractions ) I have just been on ibuprofen which I think is the UK equiv. of Motrin I am taking 1x 400 mg tablet 3 times a day so I think you will be fine xxxxx
 
I've never had to take anything more than an ibuprofin/motrin or two after an extraction.

For some reason, for me, sometimes the time period just when the local anesthetic is wearing off seems to be the worst period. I take ibuprofin as soon as I get home, and then feel okay (and numb) for an hour to two. And then, as the numbness wears off, my tooth/jaw will start aching, not terrible, but enough to make me think it's going to get a lot worse as the tooth becomes fully un-numb. And then an hour later, the numbness is completely worn off and there's no pain, and everything's fine.

Most of the time, I have no pain at all after dental work. But once in a while there's this couple-hour window where it feels like it's going to get much worse-- but then never does.

I only mention this in case you do have some pain in the first couple hours after extraction. It's not a sign that things are going to continue to get worse. So don't panic.
 
Carole,
Yes I havent been on here much..I thought I had all my extractions done ! But I went in and had a silver filling replaced and that went well..But when we started the other filling yesterday the dentist found the tooth was very infected so it had to come out..Makes me wonder if the other two teeth are infected also..The infection in the tooth never showed up on either the bite wings or the pan xrays? After the other two fillings I will be done with my upper teeth..The lower ones are next..No cavities or decay I have bone loss so my teeth may have to come out..Hope you are doing well Carole...How is your re- treatment going? Take care....
 
Thanks everyone. I am in a slight pain right now with the tooth but not bad. So I am assuming it will be worse when out. I am severe pain with my foot (still a mystery as to why and there is a stress fracture). I have taken 1 Motrin 200 mg once a day but think I will need more. Tylenol seems to work for me much better but not sure that will take this pain away. I also have major back issues too and that is when I use the Lidocaine patch. I am so glad I found this site. I have to say my anxiety has lightened up a bit. This tooth has been this way for 20 months. Really not bothering me. But I know if I WAIT it will. I don't want more then I can chew right now. I am still taking the Ativan the night before and day of. Also, taking the Motrin before I get in there to ease the pain before the numbing wears off. One thing I do know for sure is that the Lidocaine hits me fast and does numb my foot so I am hoping for the same for whatever they put in my mouth. I just cannot wait until this is done and I can start living again. THANKS:laugh::laugh: everyone who has put up with me. I am curious what happened to Tabatha. She was always sending me positive messages:jump: and Carole...you are a rock:respect::respect:. Lilly you too:respect:. And Dee Jay I know you have kept my head up across the big pond. Steve you are right in my backyard and thanks too!!!!;) I think I will do this and I hope I come back with successful news!!!!
 
I'm not havng much pain at all. just a small ache..I havent taken any pain meds today at all.. I've read that day three is the worst for swelling...I took a pain pill yesterday when I got home from the dentist and that was all I have needed...I also read that lidocane patches work on the face for face/teeth pain. I read that on Livingwith TN webite...
Thank you for the compliment!
 
Thank you and I cannot wait until I am done with this. New thoughts just came into my head to freak me out....but I am trying to erase them!!
:scared::scared::shame:
 
Hi,

I had two bottom molars taken out in November. Luckily I had no pain and no swelling and was back at work the next day. Being scared is to be expected, I cried all the way to the dental practice (I wasn't driving) and it took a full five minutes to get me calm enough to walk into the waiting room. The waiting is the worst part, don't let your thoughts freak you out, come and talk on here, the people on here are awesome!! I found this a couple of days before my extractions whilst I was freaking out and it helped a lot.

I wish you a pain and stress free extraction. (Take in a stress ball, making good ripping material when you get anxious :) ) and I send lots of hugs your way.:hug4:
 
Last edited:
;D:giggle::) Thanks so much! I have to find my stress ball or go and buy one that's a great idea!! Soft hugs!

Hi,

I had two bottom molars taken out in November. Luckily I had no pain and no swelling and was back at work the next day. Being scared is to be expected, I cried all the way to the dental practice (I wasn't driving) and it took a full five minutes to get me calm enough to walk into the waiting room. The waiting is the worst part, don't let your thoughts freak you out, come and talk on here, the people on here are awesome!! I found this a couple of days before my extractions whilst I was freaking out and it helped a lot.

I wish you a pain and stress free extraction. (Take in a stress ball, making good ripping material when you get anxious :) ) and I send lots of hugs your way.:hug4:
 
Back
Top