• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Oral surgeon wants me to have IV sedation for extraction - Anxious About sedation - Is it necessary?

S

Southerner1

Oral surgeon wants me to have IV sedation for extraction - Anxious About sedation - Is it necessary?

One of my molars has been broken for a long time. In October, the tooth started hurting, so I made an appointment for a root canal. The endodontist said it was too late for a root canal, I'd have to have the tooth extracted. I made an appointment with an oral surgeon for this. I told the office I didn't want IV sedation, just local. When I went for my appointment, the oral surgeon wanted me to change my mind, make another appointment at a later date and get IV sedation. He said that he would have to cut my gums and break the tooth further to get it out. About 2/3rd's of the tooth is still intact above the gum line, but apparently it's decayed underneath. I'm REALLY NERVOUS about this now, especially the sedation. I don't like being unconscious and out of control.

I've read lots of stories here about people getting their wisdom teeth extracted with only local anesthesia. Do I really need IV sedation to get one tooth extracted?

Re: Oral surgeon wants me to have IV sedation for extraction - Anxious About sedation - Is it necess

Hi Southerner... I'm not a dentist but it seems strange that the os is trying to push the iv sedation on you. If you don't want the sedation maybe you could find another oral surgeon or dentist that is willing to take the time to make sure you are comfortable and numbed up good.

Re: Oral surgeon wants me to have IV sedation for extraction - Anxious About sedation - Is it necess

Hi -

Several years ago I was in a similar situation. My wisdom tooth was broken and needed to be extracted. I did not want IV sedation but the oral surgeon insisted it was necessary. In the end he said I didn't have to but he strongly reommended it. At least that's what I heard, but in reality he probably said I must have unless there is absolutely no other way for it to be done. I was petrified of iv sedation, more so than the dental procedure and I can understand what you are going through.

On the morning of the appt I did not eat breakfast as instructed but when I got to the office I lied and told them I did, said I thought he said he could do it under local. Because I ate he had to do it under local (I'm not suggesting you lie, just telling you what I did). The extraction itself was quite brutal. It took a full hour and that is not counting getting comfortable in the chair time or novacaine time. There was a lot of pulling and drilling into the bone, he ended up breaking a root and that took what sounded like a jack hammer to get it out. It was not pleasant but in the end I am glad I went that way.

It can be done without IV sedation. The sedation is as much for your comfort as theirs. They would rather have someone quietly snoring in the chair than squriming around with a mouth that won't stay open wide enough. If you go this way I would suggest you take valium or something beforehand to take some of your anxiety away.

Sharon

Sharon, were you in any pain or was it just the discomfort of knowing what was going on? Did they have you numbed up good where you didn't feel any pain?

My own personal opinion is that with the right instruments and the knowledge of how to use them virtually all surgical extractions aren't a big deal for the patient. The exception can be impacted wisdom teeth. And I do offer IV sedation but NEVER push it. Actually I probably should offer it more.

Tabatha - as I remember I did feel pain, but it was tolerable. He gave me as much novacaine as he could but it didn't help 100% (sorry, wish that wasn't my answer, but I have to be honest). Once I was out of there, the pain was gone except he somehow chipped the next tooth over and that sharp part cut my tongue. That's another story. But other than that I had no after pain. And a good part of the during pain wasn't so much pain as discomfort from thinking about what was going on and all the digging he had to do into my bone and the pressure and pulling and the jack hammer thingie. Mine was impacted which is probably why it was so difficult.

Even if I had to do it again I would probably go the same way except I would take valium beforehand.

He told me I needed to be put to sleep because I was so nervous. What he didn't get was that I was so nervous because I was afraid of being put to sleep.

I don't know what worries you most about IV sedation, but having had it for the first time this last week I am a huge fan. I had 12 teeth removed and it was very nearly a breeze. It is weird to say that I was actually happy that I felt some pain a couple of times, as soon as I moaned they upped the meds and I drifted off again. I know that I was never deeply under, and I am so reassured now that I was able to register that it was hurting, and that they responded, so I was still in control if that makes any kind of sense.

There is none of that horrible recovery time that you have after a general where you are completely out. I was worried before hand, but now I'm a convert.

Ah, Sharon... your tooth was impacted, no wonder. You are superwoman for going through that without sedation in my book. I don't know how you guys do it.

Emmy, where are you located? That gives me a little bit of hope about the sedation. That is one of the things that troubles me about the sedation is not being able to tell them I need more local because I'm in pain. I'm glad it went well for you. This gives me hope. I'm still so scared I don't know whether I'm coming or going.

Hi there, I'm in Saskatchewan in Canada, and I was so scared of going there, new place in a city I don't know, people I don't know, the whole thing was just kind of overwhelming, but the people were so nice and totally understood that I was scared, and did everything they could to put me at ease.

As I say I know it sounds stupid, but I am far more confident in IV now, knowing that you aren't so far under, and that you can let them know if there is a problem. I kind of wish that it had worked as it does for a lot of people, they just drift off for a while and then it's done, but then I would never of known the upside, I won't be worried again about that side of it.

Oh and what I really liked about these people, I had made myself a little talisman out of a jade ring and some of my mares tail hair, they noticed it, but no one made a deal of it, I had it clenched in my hand when we started, and still had it at the end, no one tried to take my charm away, and didn't make any sort of issue, I liked that.

Emmy, it does not sound stupid at all. I completely understand as that is my concern about iv sedation. I don't like being so far under that I cannot say "hey that hurts". I think the iv sedation will be different here in the us though. I will probably be in a deeper sedation. That is why I feel you have to really trust the dentist/os. You are giving total control over to them. I'm having an anxiety attack just thinking about it. :o

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

My oral surgeon said that if I was awake for the extraction I'd hear the drill and the cracking of my tooth as he broke it. I've had a lot of dental work before and always heard the sound of the drill so how is this different? Why do I need IV sedation for this? I've also had two root canals with nothing but local anesthesia and laughing gas. It seems to me that a root canal would be worse than a tooth extraction. The nurse asked the oral surgeon how long of an appointment to schedule for me and he said 45 minutes. Doesn't that sound like a lot of time to extract a tooth? However, he's also going to do a bone graft to prepare for a later implant. I just wonder if I'm missing something about why he thinks IV sedation is the way to go.

I'm still feeling really nervous and am not sure what to do. I've been taking amoxicillin for a while, but a low dose and my tooth is still hurting some. My tooth is infected and I need to have this taken care of, but I'm paralyzed by anxiety.

Southerner... ultimately, it's up to you. You don't have to go with sedation if you don't want to. He must think it will be more comfortable for you to be sedated. Both of my wisdom teeth will have to be surgically removed and they told me it would take about 45min to an hour. Part of me wants to be sedated and part of me doesn't. I will probably go with it since i"m so scared.

Just having to chip in on this one, and agree with Tabatha. No one should do anything to you if they have not got your agreement/co-operation to do so, and if they haven't, then no procedure should be allowed to go ahead.

Also, just wanted to let you know that I absolutely fell :love: with IV sedation, and would opt for it every time being as scared as I am, but if you are used to the noises, and procedures, and feel you can cope without, then this is totally your option.

For me it was a no brainer, even if it doesn't hurt, all that noise makes me cry and shake, and there is nothing worse than being a responsible adult crying like a baby before during and after an extraction, and trying to explain that it isn't because of the hurt. Another thing to consider is that infection, I will never ever EVER EVER let a dentist near a tooth that has an infection under it, been there done that, REALLY didn't like how that one turned out.

If you decide against the IV be sure and certain that the infection has been cleared before you go in.

Hi there:) Just wanted to give you my two pennerth.I totally understand your worries and anxieties about sedation. I am one of those people who had avoided the dentist for decades due to extreme dental phobia. I was lucky enough to find a lovely dentist here in Helsinki who offered sedation and I knew that for me, it was the only way to get much needed treatment. As D-day approached I realised I was actually more worried about the sedation and loss of control than the procedure itself. I began to freak myself out with all kinds of horror scenarios and almost cancelled the appointment. Luckily I didn't because it turned out to be one of the best experiences I've ever had! After the anaesthetist put in the venflon I remember nothing. Absolutely nothing at all. In the waiting room I was sweating and shaking but somehow when the dentist came and took me into the room and I saw how matter of fact this all was to them it somehow calmed me down (in much the same way as watching air hostesses being all calm and acting normal when your plane is being buffeted around, drinks are flying off laptrays and people around you are vomiting lol:) I can understand if you don't want sedation, and it's your right to refuse. But if you do decide to go for it I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. I for one am a convert!:jump:

I am scheduled for tooth extraction and cadaver grafting for eventual implant. I was told that IV sedation would be the way to go. I was NOT told how much it would be. $390!!!! I don't have that kind of money and am using the last money I even have to pay for this procedure, and the implant will have to come in a year or two when I can get the money. I have talked to several people who did not have sedation for extraction and grafting and said they were never in any pain. I think that is a very excessive price that I don't have, so I am going to call tomorrow and tell them I will not have sedation due to the price. I know I will be out of my mind in panic and anxiety, but the thought of the money makes me panic even more! My tooth is infected but I've been holding out until after Christmas for the scheduling. I hope someone else has the money problem and not just me! I'm just a secretary with no other income.

Back