• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Pain after root canal...not sure if this is normal or not?

Ihatedentistss

Ihatedentistss

Hi,

I had a root canal done on August 26th. I had a bad abscess which I've taken antibiotics for. The endodonist worked on the tooth and said he would have been done that day but because of the infection he filled the tooth with medicine after removing the nerves and I'll be going back on the 16th this month.

I can eat on that side, actually, although I've only eaten soft foods and the pain is hard to explain because it's not really that bad or constant...it feels a little bit unpleasant when I bite or push down lightly...and the tooth has turned gray which happens as I've read. It worries me because my mom had two bad root canal jobs and the endodonist said I shouldn't feel ANYTHING.

I don't know what to do. I've read about the tooth cracking and all kinds of things. I would really just fall out if the tooth had to be extracted, especially after all the money spent to save it plus the fact I'm not keen on implants at all and it's not a tooth I can afford to lose.

Tonight I flossed between the tooth with the root canal and another and it hurt so I'm automatically assuming the worst. It's either the root canal went awry or the abscess didn't completely go away. It definitely can't be a cavity.

I know I'll be talking to my endodonist soon, but is this light pain normal or does it most likely mean trouble?

Thank you.:thumbsup:

IANAD, but all three of my (non-abcessed) root canals have been painful to bite pressure afterwards to varying degrees, and it also hurt to floss or press on the side of the tooth. It usually is supposed to be less painful after a week or two, but my endodontist said that sometimes it takes longer if you are not lucky (like me, haha).

My understanding is that the ligaments that hold the roots of the tooth in place are disturbed during the root canal and by the infection and become inflamed, causing the bite pain. Sometimes the ligaments can swell and push the tooth out a tiny bit, causing it to hit too hard on the opposing tooth, making the ligaments swell more, etc, causing worse pain. The dentist can help adjust the bite so that this is not a problem and the ligaments can heal.

Hope your pain goes away soon! :clover:

IANAD, but all three of my (non-abcessed) root canals have been painful to bite pressure afterwards to varying degrees, and it also hurt to floss or press on the side of the tooth. It usually is supposed to be less painful after a week or two, but my endodontist said that sometimes it takes longer if you are not lucky (like me, haha).

My understanding is that the ligaments that hold the roots of the tooth in place are disturbed during the root canal and by the infection and become inflamed, causing the bite pain. Sometimes the ligaments can swell and push the tooth out a tiny bit, causing it to hit too hard on the opposing tooth, making the ligaments swell more, etc, causing worse pain. The dentist can help adjust the bite so that this is not a problem and the ligaments can heal.

Hope your pain goes away soon! :clover:

Oh, jellyfish, thank you so very much for your detailed response! I was terribly worried :redface: My mom actually had to call yesterday to get me an appointment for some deep cavities and she explained to the receptionist about the root canal issue who was very nice but couldn't provide an answer like this at all (she actually had a root canal done herself as well)...

After hearing from your experiences and the explanation you offered I feel a lot better. I'll be getting my crown soon, right now I just have a temporary filling. I'm not in any bad pain or anything, it's extremely minor, but thank you again! You're absolutely wunderbar!:XXLhug:

You may want to mention the bite sensitivity to your dentist when you go for the crown - if you get a temporary crown, they can make it a little shorter to give the tooth a rest. It is good to be sure that the tooth is healing well before they permanently cement on the crown - I think my endodontist may have taken more x-rays to be sure when I had bite sensitivity for a long time after my root canals.

Hi,

If there is a crack there is indeed sensitivity while biting but pay attention: the sensitivity should come not when applying pressure on the tooth but when the pressure is released from it.
if you feel sensitivity when the pressure us applied, that means that the tissue around the tooth is still healing from the RCT and that should improve.

You may want to mention the bite sensitivity to your dentist when you go for the crown - if you get a temporary crown, they can make it a little shorter to give the tooth a rest. It is good to be sure that the tooth is healing well before they permanently cement on the crown - I think my endodontist may have taken more x-rays to be sure when I had bite sensitivity for a long time after my root canals.

Im going in later today and will see what he says...keep your fingers crossed :(

Hi!

How did your appointment go??? I'm wondering what your doctor said...I don't mean to piggyback your thread but I am totally interested to hear as I have had similar symptoms since June and dreading hearing the words "root crack". I'm hoping you got good news and your RCT is in good shape...just ligaments healing like a sprained ankle.

Please let us know when you can! Thanks!

Hi!

How did your appointment go??? I'm wondering what your doctor said...I don't mean to piggyback your thread but I am totally interested to hear as I have had similar symptoms since June and dreading hearing the words "root crack". I'm hoping you got good news and your RCT is in good shape...just ligaments healing like a sprained ankle.

Please let us know when you can! Thanks!

Oh, not a problem at all, Mugz! :) I'm always glad to help you out if I can. As you know I had an abscess, and I thought maybe when I went in today to have the medicine removed and another temporary filling put in place that the endodonist would tell me the infection hadn't healed. He's a relatively nice guy, however, he wasn't really focused on what I was saying in my opinion. As soon as I sat down in the chair I told him "hey, when I press down it hurts is this normal or not?" And his response was "it may or may not be, we will see..."which wasn't very reassuring! :)

He then started working on the tooth, removing the medicine and cleaning it and all that. I was a wreck, scared I would feel pain since I wasn't numb and I was having that pressure sensitivity whenever I pushed on my tooth. However, I pretty much didn't feel anything except once and of course I raised my hand and he said that was because of the water he was taking out or something...anyways, when he was finished with my tooth I asked again about the pain I've been feeling when I apply pressure as I wasn't satisfied. He had taken several X-rays while I was there, including one when he finished, and he said nothing about infection or it being cracked! He simply said to see if the pain went away and to keep an eye on the tooth for the next couple of weeks...he said he didn't see any reason for the tooth not to heal. then he told me the dentist office would call to see about an appointment for the crown (for some reason he isn't doing it which I don't understand at all).

Anyways, I didn't really get a satisfactory answer as you can see which I'm not too happy about although he did say it could have been that the temporary filling he put in before was too high. Since he took out the medicine and put in a new temporary filling I do feel better, less pressure, although I've not been messing with the tooth or anything to see if it hurts. I'm not sure if you've had a crown already or not. Have you?

this probably didn't help much, unfortunately. Anyways, I've just pressed on the tooth a bit and I think maybe it's alright now. Hmm.. I'll keep you updated and see what happens. Hope you're doing okay!

Hi!
First of all good for you for going!! No small thing as we all can appreciate here, for sure!! I'm sorry he kind of dismissed your concerns a bit...I guess time will tell. I will say after my RC I could tell instantly tooth was higher because of the temporary filling and I was hitting it first and if I had it to do over again would have called that Monday like they told me to and come back in and had it adjusted....so GOOD FOR YOU for going in quickly and not delaying or postponing your appointment today!

I do think that makes it 100% harder for the ligaments or whatever to feel better when it is constantly getting knocked first with full force AND without a crown. So, my second suggestion is when you have given it a few days or a week to see if it has truly settled down, go to your dentist and do the crown. I don't think many if any endodontists actually do crowns and think they only work with the inside of the tooth and roots and yucky stuff and such so don't feel bad that he sent you back to your dentist. I know it is an inconvenience to go from place to place for one little tooth and drop a chunk of change on it too...believe me, I know ( I had RCT in June and crown on July 31 and still throbbing/aching :shame:)! If it feels better and it painlessly stays in place for years it will be very well worth every cent!

Fingers crossed that is exactly what happens!!! I will say, before I got my crown put on my hygienist said if there is one thing to totally avoid it would be NUTS. Every kind. Not just for that tooth but all of them. She said that is the number one food responsible for more cracks and chips in teeth and restorations that she sees at her office. Also, teeth aren't tools....don't use them to open anything. There. All the crown advice I have to share....

Good luck to you!!! Keep us posted!

Back