• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Pain in other teeth after filling in one?

K

keithito

About a week ago I had a filling break (a permanent filling on a root canal tooth, I was supposed to get a crown on it and didn't, so that was bound to happen). I got an emergency appointment and luckily they were able to just replace the filling since none of my tooth broke off and the x-rays looked fine, so no infection or anything. Of course then I scheduled the crown for a couple weeks from now (wait times are a bit longer because of Covid).

The issue is that the next day (and for about 4 days since), suddenly all of my teeth hurt. Not like a deep throbbing toothache pain but a surface level irritation and pain, it also feels like one of my lower molars (underneath the upper molar that had the filling replaced) has a very tiny chip? My jaw hurts pretty consistently and I've had stubborn headaches. Chewing is hard and it exacerbates some of the tooth pain, but the pain is there no matter what.

Based on what I've read it seems like it may just be that the new filling is a bit different in shape and it's caused me to start grinding/clenching my teeth to compensate? I'm terrified because the dentist seemed to think the filling replacement was no big deal, and if it's just grinding the pain should go away as I adjust? Has anybody else had anything similar happen? Looking on the internet is a bit frustrating because every thread I find is about people who have pain in the tooth they got the filling in, which isn't really the case here.

Based on what I've read it seems like it may just be that the new filling is a bit different in shape and it's caused me to start grinding/clenching my teeth to compensate?
It sounds like that. Contact your dentist and ask them to check it. Don't think you need to worry about it too much, it's not unusual and normally pretty easy to fix.

Back