• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Pain relief after wisdom tooth removal

Susanne

Susanne

For how long after the removal of a wisdom tooth/teeth does a person need to to take pain relievers such as ibuprofen or acetaminophen/paracetamol?

I took ibuprofen for the first 24 hours. I think you will know if you need to take medication or not - I just forgot after the first day because I wasn’t in any discomfort.

You might consider writing a list of questions you can ask your dentist - you could even call beforehand or email - so you are comfortable with what to expect.

It is different for everyone. When I had all mine out as a teen, I remember taking one of the pain pills they gave me and it making me so sick that I didn't take anymore. I took ibuprofen for about a week, but I also had dry socket two days after the surgery.

With my recent molar extractions, I needed tylenol for about three days, then it was just sporadic as needed. I had occasional pain for about a week or two, but tylenol would take care of it. The first three to four days were the worst, because of the swelling...more uncomfortable than super painful.

I'd rather avoid the narcotic pain medicine, if possible. I don't want the possible side effects of it on top of whatever discomfort I might have from my teeth. I also don't want to overdo the ibuprofen or tylenol since they both have risks.

I would agree with MountainMama, it varies by person and situation. Doubt you will need any narcotic pain meds though. I'm not sure, but I think if your teeth are impacted it also makes a difference. When I had impacted wisdom teeth removed, it took about 4-5 days to feel like I didn't need the ibuprofen regularly. After that it was just using it occasionally when the need arose. On the other hand, having a molar that was not impacted removed recently, it felt like I was fine the day after and did not need any pain meds.

I'd rather avoid the narcotic pain medicine, if possible. I don't want the possible side effects of it on top of whatever discomfort I might have from my teeth. I also don't want to overdo the ibuprofen or tylenol since they both have risks.

I completely agree with you on that. I avoid narcotics if at all possible as well. I can't take ibuprofen (which is better than tylenol).

The ibuprofen may be enough on its own. You may want to start with that and then just take the tylenol as needed for breakthrough pain.

Back