• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Panicked over sensitivity and pain in deep filling

M

Meems16

Hi,

I have terrible dental anxiety, I recently did my best to overcome it and about a month ago had 3 fillings. One, on a molar on my left side, my dentist told me was very deep, and she said she placed something (dycal? The name escapes me)in the filling and said if I experienced severe pain to let them know. The first couple weeks my tooth was slightly sensitive if I chewed on that side but very mild. Up until a few days ago I had no pain at all. Now I'm experiencing terrible sensitivity with hot or cold foods and drinks and I can't chew on the side at all. I've been alternating Tylenol and motrin with some relief but if I attempt to drink or chew it's back. This might be tmi- I am about a day from my period and before my fillings my gums and teeth would get slightly sensitive about a week leading up to my period. Is it possible that that is what this is and it just feels worse because of the deep filling I had done last month? I'm terrified of a root canal and this tooth was painless a week ago. My plan is to call my dentist tomorrow if this doesn't improve by then, but I was hoping for some input. I'm sorry this is so long, thank you!

Hi,

I have terrible dental anxiety, I recently did my best to overcome it and about a month ago had 3 fillings. One, on a molar on my left side, my dentist told me was very deep, and she said she placed something (dycal? The name escapes me)in the filling and said if I experienced severe pain to let them know. The first couple weeks my tooth was slightly sensitive if I chewed on that side but very mild. Up until a few days ago I had no pain at all. Now I'm experiencing terrible sensitivity with hot or cold foods and drinks and I can't chew on the side at all. I've been alternating Tylenol and motrin with some relief but if I attempt to drink or chew it's back. This might be tmi- I am about a day from my period and before my fillings my gums and teeth would get slightly sensitive about a week leading up to my period. Is it possible that that is what this is and it just feels worse because of the deep filling I had done last month? I'm terrified of a root canal and this tooth was painless a week ago. My plan is to call my dentist tomorrow if this doesn't improve by then, but I was hoping for some input. I'm sorry this is so long, thank you!

This happened with my lower molar and I had to have a root canal in the end as it just got worse and worse.
Hopefully not the case for you. Did you manage to call the dentist?

Sensitivity to heat is usually indicative of a dying nerve. Especially if it lingers. I'm the recent root canal king of Scotland and this is how all mine began. However, mine isn't caused with fillings, decay or infection, I've killed my molars with years of grinding.

RCT is nothing really to fret about if you've had fillings. It's basically like getting a filling but requires you to keep your jaw open for a tad longer. The only pain you'll get during the procedure is jaw ache if you do experience any. Seriously, before my 1st rct, I over thought it too. I didn't even sleep the night before. Then once i got it done, I was wondering what all the fussed had been about. The 2nd one I needed I wasn't worried at all.