• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Panicking over wisdom teeth

  • Thread starter Thread starter karenwe11
  • Start date Start date
K

karenwe11

Junior member
Joined
Nov 5, 2025
Messages
5
Location
London
So I am having problems with all my wisdom teeth. The top left has brown decay at just the top gumline, not really got a hole as such and the rest of the tooth looks fine. The right hand side has gone brown on the side but is still white the rest of the tooth. My bottom left has a filling in the middle but now has a black line, sure it's decay around the gumline at the side and going round the back. My right hand side has the same an old filling in the middle but a black line on the gumline but this one has a slight hole where it looks like the gum is coming away from the tooth. Now I suffer from panic disorder and only just starting to leave the house so my husband has arranged for a home visit dentist. They do carry out a range of treatments, including exteactions and are able to take xrays etc. I'm so worried that they won't be able to help me and I'll be forced into a cycle of having to overcome my panic disorder to get to a dentist which takes time but I'm in pain (intermittent) now. My fear also is having someone that close to me. Does anyone else have that? I'm also worried I'll not be able to mentally keep going for the duration of any treatment and I'll panic and not be able to continue. Leaving me in a worse state than before. I've not been able to stop worrying and can't even sleep properly. Any help advise or reassurance ?
 
karenwe11, :welcome: to DFC. We are so sorry to hear you are having troubles with all your wisdom teeth! It can definitely be anxiety producing situation. That is great you were able to get a home visit dentist, it is at least a first step where you can get your questions answered, and get a peace what you do whether having them do some treatment , taking other steps , at least it is getting some more information. It sounds like a great first step. One of the dentists here @Gordon used to do home calls and he is just amazing .When are they coming?
 
Hi, thanks for your reply. It's on Monday and it's just for a check up initially. It's taken me a lot of courage. I only went to the Drs the first time in 3 years yesterday. It seems everything has come at once. I'm really hoping they're nice as that's a definite to calm my anxiety. I will let you know how I got on, if that's OK. Thanks again for your encouragement
 
Hi Karenwell. How did your appointment go? Hope well!
 
Hi, My appointment went well thank you. I was worried about having new people in the house especially as I have this panic set in. They were both lovely and I managed all the xrays and checkup fine. I felt a bit panicky when they said I'd need an extraction but they can do that one at home. My wisdoms just need fillings. It's the tooth next to them that needs to come out. Unfortunately they picked up after my appt that another tooth with a crown has decay underneath so now I'm worried that'll need to come out too. She did say that my tooth is close to the sinus so will need a stitch and antibiotics. Hoping the other side is the same. The thing is I'm writing all this that needs to be done but am absolutely petrified of getting it done. I'm in a bit of pain so know that my time to get it done is running out. I've chosen to do one thing at a time ad it's overwhelming when I think.of it all at once. Thank you for messaging and giving me support @krlovesherkids777
 
karenwell, It sounds like a good appointment all in all! So glad to hear they were both lovely ! So you have a tiny trust and momentum built for when you get it done! I hear you on thinking of things needing to be done getting overwhelming.. You are wise just doing what you can one thing at a time! Baby steps! Have you ever seen the movie "What about Bob?" That has inspired me for years.. laughs and inspiration at the same time. I always think of it when I'm thinking dentist. You did this!! :jump: :cheer2: :welldone:
 
Ha, I have just watched what about Bob. I'm Bob 😆 thank you for the recommendation. Tuesday will soon be here, not been sleeping well at all with worry. Will keep you updated
 
Keep us updated how it goes! I'm so often Bob too :) Baby steps
 
Hi, I've literally just had my appointment. OMG, I only had a filling but it was on a wisdom tooth that was so decayed it took an hour to complete. Baby steps lol think I've taken a giant leap! I've got an infection too 😬 that's literally started from yesterday so I'm glad my appointment was today. The dentist and nurse were so good and said if I can cope with that I can cope with anything. It hurt so much when she got to the deep decay the nurse held my hand. I'm not going to lie I'm now sweating worrying it'll hurt after. Unfortunately the dentist did say to see if this works otherwise it's an extraction. Nothing is straight forward and carries so much worrying 😟 anyway, I do however feel that I can cope with more than I realised! Again thank you for the support it really does make a difference x
 
Back
Top