• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

paranoia surrounding fillings

R

richie

Junior member
Joined
May 1, 2018
Messages
1
okay, so I just got my first filings, two back molars on the top right side. I'm 18, and had never gone to the dentist in my life until my first appointment in february, during which they detected 5 cavities.

naturally the idea of getting them filled was more appealing than letting my teeth rot away, but I am a very paranoid person & am already freaking out after barely having had the fillings for one day.

I can't stop thinking about everything that could wrong be with them. I have no knowledge of what correct fillings are supposed to feel like. Idk what's normal and what's not. so I've become fixated on them. I fear that I will never be comfortable even doing so much as chewing. Sounds over dramatic, but I guess that's just in my nature. I'm way too afraid to rip them out..

I'm also worried that when the dentist checked my bite, that I didn't bite down hard enough and it's going to cause problems. I have anxiously researched for hours about all the possible issues that come w them and it's horrifying.
it just sucks. I wish I didn't have any cavities so I didn't have 2 deal with this but that's my own fault for having poor dental hygiene :cry:
 
richie, sorry to read how worried your are about the fillings! Let me first tell you, that having fillings is nothing unusual or bad - the most people have some fillings and it is not a big deal. In few days or weeks you won't even think of them.

May I ask you where do your worries about fillings come from? Have you heard of someone who had a bad experience with a filling?

How are fillings supposed to feel like.. well, they are supposed to feel like no difference to your normal teeth. It's ok to have some sensations on the filled tooth first, but as soon as it settles, you won't feel any difference between your normal teeth and the filled one and chewing as a basic thing that we do with our teeth will work too effortlessly.

I understand that you are worried about your bite. I find natural biting in a dentist's chair after a treatment difficult too. But even this is not a problem - if you after few days feel like there something feels weird with your bite, you can just go back to your dentist and he/she will check it and might even it out. This is again very usual and dentist do that often.

By the way, well done on having gone to the dentists. Hope you have found a lovely and kind one so that you feel comfortable to come back on regular basis.

All the best wishes and let us know how you are doing.
 
Back
Top