• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Pars/Gordon  Need advice...HELP!!

  • Thread starter Thread starter freakout
  • Start date Start date
Thanks for the info Pars :D  I guess I need to take the financial stuff out of the picture and focus on how I feel.  This dentistry stuff can be very confusing.

Lets:  If I end up removing the teeth, I would rather have the tori out too I guess.  They can be a nuisance, and rather than try and work around them, it is probably best to take them out. I have noticed them alot more now that I have been eating alot more fresh fruits and veggies.....nasty things if you scrape them :-/

I believe I must just need to focus on the most important thing....finding that light at the end of the tunnel again.  :P
 
I forgot one other thing Lets...the dentist said he just did a full denture on another patient with tori. She opted to keep the tori and is now having many, many problems. He said hers were much smaller and that he did not want to attempt the full denture on me with the tori there. I guess he is probably right...all I would need is more problems. :-/ So it comes down to try the partial with the tori and try and save the teeth, or take the teeth and the tori and get the full denture.

No easy answer, huh?
 
Re: Pars/Gordon  Need advice...HELP!!

I just found this thread and, while I can't offer any helpful advice to make your decision easier, I wanted to say I'm very sorry that you have had to go through this. I'm rooting for you. Decisions like this are hard because one option is so final. Try to take money out of it and go with how you actually feel and you'll have less cause for regret. Good luck. [smiley=grouphug.gif]
 
Thank You everyone for the help. I had the appointment and I guess I put too much pressure on. The dentist decided to give the partial a chance. He is not very hopeful however. The partial has very little plastic on the base of the plate due to the tori, which he expects will make things quite uncomfortable. I only had it in a few times for the adjusting, and it did seem rather uncomfortable on the tori, not to mention the two sore teeth. But in the end, he said we will get the partial in place, so I have teeth and see how I do. If it doesn't work, we will have to address what we discussed.....I didn't like hearing that :'( [smiley=frightened.gif]

He had to adjust the teeth quite a bit, as the bite was really off. So today I am in alot of TMJ related pain. The entire right side of my neck and jaw are extremely painful. :'( But all in all, it went better than expected :) I think the dentist could tell that I was not ready to discuss the topic just yet ;)

I do have one question though...how much time do you give the partial? I know it will be uncomfortable at first, but how much time do you give to allow it to improve? I go back next thursday to get the partial.

One positive thing....I get to go to my trade show...with teeth [smiley=jumping.gif]
 
[smiley=jumping.gif] Yay! trade show!... err.. Yay? :)

The time spend getting used to the denture varies for peep to peep... Some have no diffs whatsoever others seem to have more difficulty. Positive mental attitude works wonders! If you approach it thinking "It'll never work [smiley=ashamed.gif]" then guess what - it never will. You can expect a few normal physiological hurdles over the first coupla days as you get used to it. For example
1 - difficulty pronouncing statments such as "The silvery Mississippi sweeps silently past..." This takes practice!
2 - Increased salivation - this will ease quickly.
3 - difficulty eating - this will improve as your tongue control of the denture improves. Don't try eating huge mouthfuls straight away - small nibbles at first and them as yer confidence improves you can be more adventurous.

Getting the bloomin thing in and out can be awkward at first also, practice in front of a mirror so you can see what you are doing.

Its amazing how quickly you will learn to master these things, it'll feel like part of you in no time. :) Then you can ;D SMILE!!! Yay!!

Pars :)
 
Thanks Pars. I had a very positive, and stubborn, attitude about the partial, "this darn thing will work come h*ll or high water" [smiley=evil.gif] Last night what a bit of a let down though. Last week was just the plate, no teeth, and it was very comfortable. Last night was teeth and plate...very uncomfortable :'( Next week I get the actual device and with any luck it will be comfortable again 8-) I will go out and get the paste/glue and be prepared for the best.

On the trade show. I actually only walk it for a few hours and then have the rest of the time for me. See some old friends, but best of all get away for the weekend. I have my elderly parents living with me, so I really enjoy when I can get away from it all [smiley=jumping.gif] I love them dearly, but need time for me. Who know maybe I can recharge and adjust to the partial all at once. [smiley=jumping.gif]

Thanks again for all of your help ;)
 
Back
Top