• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Partial causing swollen tongue, sore throat, ear ache, burning, unable to speak or eat

H

hulitoons

Partial causing swollen tongue, sore throat, ear ache, burning, unable to speak or eat

I am unsure that anyone here could even give me any suggestions.

I have had to wear partials for a number of years now. My latest are the flex kind.

My dentist sent me to an oral surgeon to have two teeth removed on the bottom, this after having one molar refilled several times and a number of abscesses to adjoining teeth over and over again. After the removal and then healing, my dentist began impressions only to then discover I had a painful area develop that caused him concern so I had to return to the oral surgeon who opened my gum from front to back to remove what turned out to be a benign tumor most likely caused by continuing trauma (abscesses and extractions).

While all this was going on a period of 5 months went by without use of any bottom partial. I basically had no teeth at all on the left side. When my new partial finally arrived there were a number of problems causing blisters, skinning, bruising to the bottom of my mouth within an hour. So the dentures were returned to the lab. Two weeks later I tried them again and they continued to cut, bruise, blister within an hour so they were returned again. Two weeks later I received them yet again. This time I was determined to keep them in. On my gums they are comfortable. My tongue, throat, ears and jaw were a very different story. While no abrasions occurred, my tongue was being ripped to pieces and the muscle itself became swollen and so painful that I couldn't swallow. The back of my throat, when viewed with a mirror was closing up so I took motrin to bring the inflammation down. The sides of my tongue burned as if acid had been painted on to it. But I was still determined that my tongue would get used to the new condition it found itself in so I deliberately relaxed it and tried not to talk, suck on anything, or use it to eat.

For the past five days I have kept this partial in my mouth only removing it to clean brush, gargle etc. I have had to take motrin every 5 hours during this period and continually spray chloraseptic. I talk as little as possible. I have gotten very little sleep because the pain keeps waking me. Finally, this morning, I gave up. I could not believe all this stuff (especially the motrin because I'm not supposed to even use it often because of my heart) was healthy. I took the partial out and put it in solution to soak. Almost immediately the pain stopped, my ear ache stopped, I can move my tongue and it no longer burns. There is soreness, but more like that from bruising.

To be frank, I am unsure whether I even want to try all this again.

Re: Partial causing swollen tongue, sore throat, ear ache, burning, unable to speak or eat

Ouch that sounds painful, I am sorry your partial is causing all these problems. I hope it feels better soon or that it can be made better.

Re: Partial causing swollen tongue, sore throat, ear ache, burning, unable to speak or eat

I think your dentist or somebody needs to be finding out why you have this reaction to your dentures. You can't carry on like this, it's going to make you ill.

I hope one of the dentists come along soon with something you can try or maybe they have seen this before. I hope you can get something done soon.

Best of luck with your problem.

It is possible to get an allergic response to denture material, although I've not heard of it with the flexible valplast type that you mention. You need to go back to the dentist to get it checked out.

also possible that it is overextended

Back