S
superbendy
Junior member
- Joined
- Feb 10, 2016
- Messages
- 2
Hi, as my user name suggests I have a condition which makes me very flexible, sometimes known as being double jointed. I have a condition called Ehlers Danlos syndrome. Unluckily for me this can cause a resistance to local anesthetic.
So I was only diagnosed with this 5 years ago but it will have been present all my life (I'm 37).
So anyway every experience I've had of dental treatment has been a bad one! As a child/teen I had cavities filled and the dentist never believed me when I told them I could still feel pain when they drilled. All the signs were there that the anesthetic had worked, numb face, lips, gums everything. As soon as the drill started so did the awful nerve pain. It's like the pain when the dentist prods a decayed tooth with the metal thing, only instead if it being gone in a second it stays they whole time they drill.
So I have always dreaded the dentist. As I've got older I began to think they must be right in saying that I'm imagining it or its just pressure I'm feeling. They have always given me numerous injections then explained it's impossible to still feel pain after so many doses of anesthetic.
I had to have a filling a few years ago and explained my anxiety to my husband who told me the pain I was experiencing is not normal
So I had the same happen again and told the dentist numerous times I could still feel pain. In the end he said if the last shot didn't work I would have to come back and try again another day. Having experienced the same thing over and over again i knew next time would be the same so I lied and told him it had worked and just got through it somehow again.
I didn't go again for years but my daughter has to have some very significant orthodontic treatment so I have to be a good role model! I had a check up and need a filling. This is a new dentist now who seems very nice but I was so anxious during the check up that I couldn't wait to get out so I didn't discuss it with him.
I was due to go in January but cancelled and was supposed to go this Tuesday just gone. I had to cancel because I have a virus and am annoyed that I couldn't go to just get it over with, now I have to wait another month.
For the past few years I've suffered from premature ectopic beats of the heart which I'm waiting to find out whether it's connected to the eds or not. At the moment I'm not on any medication for them but I have them everyday.
So I'm on a forum for eds sufferers and many of them also have problems with local anesthetic. A couple if them have recommended adrenaline free lidocaine and others have recommended articaine (sorry if spellings aren't correct!) . There is a dental nurse on there who said that articaine works best for her but because of the heart thing I have they may recommend adrenaline free anesthetic.
So at the moment I'm feeling that I can't go through with this. I've had so many bad experiences that it's difficult to believe that it can ever be different.
I had a tooth removed once which was fine, I only felt pulling etc but my jaw felt like it was breaking because it was moving around too much. In the end myself and the nurse had to hold it in place.
I had sedation and local for a wisdom tooth removal but had a panic attack as they started putting the injection in. However they didn't believe it was a panic attack and put it down to some kind of reaction to the sedation and local together and said I should not have that again!
So I'd be really grateful if anyone could advise me on this. Obviously the filling needs doing but at the moment the sensitivity is no where near as bad as having the treatment with partial anesthesia!
So I was only diagnosed with this 5 years ago but it will have been present all my life (I'm 37).
So anyway every experience I've had of dental treatment has been a bad one! As a child/teen I had cavities filled and the dentist never believed me when I told them I could still feel pain when they drilled. All the signs were there that the anesthetic had worked, numb face, lips, gums everything. As soon as the drill started so did the awful nerve pain. It's like the pain when the dentist prods a decayed tooth with the metal thing, only instead if it being gone in a second it stays they whole time they drill.
So I have always dreaded the dentist. As I've got older I began to think they must be right in saying that I'm imagining it or its just pressure I'm feeling. They have always given me numerous injections then explained it's impossible to still feel pain after so many doses of anesthetic.
I had to have a filling a few years ago and explained my anxiety to my husband who told me the pain I was experiencing is not normal
So I had the same happen again and told the dentist numerous times I could still feel pain. In the end he said if the last shot didn't work I would have to come back and try again another day. Having experienced the same thing over and over again i knew next time would be the same so I lied and told him it had worked and just got through it somehow again.
I didn't go again for years but my daughter has to have some very significant orthodontic treatment so I have to be a good role model! I had a check up and need a filling. This is a new dentist now who seems very nice but I was so anxious during the check up that I couldn't wait to get out so I didn't discuss it with him.
I was due to go in January but cancelled and was supposed to go this Tuesday just gone. I had to cancel because I have a virus and am annoyed that I couldn't go to just get it over with, now I have to wait another month.
For the past few years I've suffered from premature ectopic beats of the heart which I'm waiting to find out whether it's connected to the eds or not. At the moment I'm not on any medication for them but I have them everyday.
So I'm on a forum for eds sufferers and many of them also have problems with local anesthetic. A couple if them have recommended adrenaline free lidocaine and others have recommended articaine (sorry if spellings aren't correct!) . There is a dental nurse on there who said that articaine works best for her but because of the heart thing I have they may recommend adrenaline free anesthetic.
So at the moment I'm feeling that I can't go through with this. I've had so many bad experiences that it's difficult to believe that it can ever be different.
I had a tooth removed once which was fine, I only felt pulling etc but my jaw felt like it was breaking because it was moving around too much. In the end myself and the nurse had to hold it in place.
I had sedation and local for a wisdom tooth removal but had a panic attack as they started putting the injection in. However they didn't believe it was a panic attack and put it down to some kind of reaction to the sedation and local together and said I should not have that again!
So I'd be really grateful if anyone could advise me on this. Obviously the filling needs doing but at the moment the sensitivity is no where near as bad as having the treatment with partial anesthesia!
