• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Pericoronitis - keeps recurring. HELP!

• Thread starter conqueringfears
  • Start date
conqueringfears

conqueringfears

Hi. I am in a lot of pain. My lower right wisdom tooth is giving me so much trouble. I was diagnosed with pericoronitis last year. It flares up every few months with these symptoms:

* Gum tissue inflammation on cheek near tooth
* Ear ache
* Generally feeling unwell
* Lymph nodes hurt under jaw

I can't continue to take antibiotics all the time. I still do not have dental coverage for insurance and plan to remove my wisdom teeth as soon as I do.

Three questions:
* Can this cause serious health issues for me?
* How long does an acute case last? It's been 3 days.
* What can I do to help this go away? And to keep it at bay?

I am worried. And in PAIN. :(

1) No
2) Needs washing out and dressing with some iodine solution, antibiotics alone will take about a week
3) Get hold of a syringe with a soft irrigation tip on it, wash out under the flap of gum tissue gently with some salt water, once a week or so should be plenty.

Thank you @Gordon. It feels like it gets better and then it gets irritated again. I plan to have this taken care of as soon as I have dental insurance. My dentist said I have to get a coronectomy because the wizzies sit on my nerves but I also want a second opinion. All in all, it's going to be costly.

I have been using a Waterpik, salty warm water and hydrogen peroxide this week.

That's about all you can do with it really. What happens is some food gets impacted under the gum flap, then it gets infected/irritated and swells. When it swells the upper tooth chomps on it which gets it more swollen and irritated. Classic vicious circle :(

@Gordon it stinks so bad. I can’t wait to get them taken out. I got some Augmentin, so today is my 3rd dose. I hope it works soon.

Back