• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

peridontal or not?

  • Thread starter Thread starter circo
  • Start date Start date
C

circo

Junior member
Joined
Mar 8, 2011
Messages
2
I've just had a check up and scale and polish. I was charged £46.50 as an NHS patient. When I questioned the price with the receptionist I was told I had had a peridontal clean as I had gum desease! Although the dentist had not mentioned it during the check-up. I was in the hygenist chair for no more than 7-8 mins. Can anyone tell me therefore, the difference between a peridontal clean and a regular scale and polish?
Cheers
 
Wow--I have never had even a scale and polish that only lasted 7-8 minutes!!!...That is really weird...Mine have always been much longer...
 
Hi you can read about the differences between a regular scale and polish and a periodontal clean here:

https://www.dentalfearcentral.org/faq/scale-and-polish/

https://www.dentalfearcentral.org/faq/deep-cleaning/

7-8 minutes sounds like a normal scale and polish (and a superficial one at that). Unless the hygienist cleaned underneath the gumline of one tooth, and they interpreted this as a "periodontal clean"... it all sounds a bit dodgy.

Best thing to do would be to write a letter of complaint to the dental practice in question and see what they can offer to rectify the situation (if you're that way inclined, you could also add a line at the end of it saying that if this matter is not resolved to your satisfaction, you will consider reporting this incident to the General Dental Council).

The only problem with a refund is that this will not really help with the gum disease :(. If you are unsure about whether you have gum disease or not, the best thing would be to get a second opinion from another dentist.
 
Thanks for the info, she did clean one tooth that had a visable layer of plaque on the gum line, She only used the rotating brush and toothpaste to finish, but yes it was a brief experience. I'll be writing tomorrow.
Thanks again.
 
I'm sure you could get 30 minutes from a hygienist privately for the same sum!
To be charging you in Band 2 they should be spending more than 7 minutes lol.

If you do have gum issues, it is in your interest to get regular 6 monthly cleans from a hygienist. Is the practice you go to a mixed NHS/private one? I've heard on here before of people being told the NHS included clean is insufficient for their needs and so they have to pay extra privately for the hygienist. Not sure this is in the spirit of NHS care but at least that way, you'll get a thorough job done...you'd hope.
 
Back
Top