• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Personal Items and The Dentist

  • Thread starter Thread starter JJones86
  • Start date Start date
You can do this! It is hardly ever as bad as we imagine things to be. Just think that out of all of the hours, minutes, and seconds in your life, this appointment is a VERY small fraction of time and will be over very soon. I look forward to hearing about how well it went! Try to think about all of the positive experiences that you have had so far and how awesome the dentist and his staff are. Don't be afraid to communicate how you feel and what you need from them to be comfortable. Remember that you are the customer and paying for a service..that means they work for you! :grin:
 
Thank you. I'll be leaving for the appointment in about two hours. I'm a nervous wreck right now. I'll update you all when I get back.
 
Hi all.

I'm feeling relieved right now. Just got back from my dentist's appointment for my deep cleaning. I'm having a little gum tenderness and soreness, but this is normal and to be expected.

The hygienist showed me before and after pictures after we'd finished. I can't believe it. My teeth went from yellow to a shiny white. They look like they're brand new again. My gums went from a puffy red to a healthy pink. This was all just from one appointment.

I had the nitrous oxide even though I paid out of pocket. That stuff works miracles. I went from an anxious, nervous, fearful mess to completely relaxed. Honestly it feels like you've had too much to drink, but my anxiety was gone in just a few minutes. The hygienist told me that the procedure actually took 2 1/2 hours instead of two like we though it'd be. I couldn't believe it though, because it only felt like 15 - 20 minutes. I guess the nitrous makes you lose sense of time temporarily and they said that's how it is for some people.

I'm just so glad I went. That appointment prevented me from getting periodontal disease, which is irreversible and causes lots of problems.

Thank you all for your support.

JJ
 
I'm so happy that you were able to go through with it and that everything worked out! :jump: Congrats! You should treat yourself tonight to something special to celebrate your success! Yes, I have heard that nitrous oxide is a miracle worker for helping to relax anxious patients. I have only had 1 experience with it as a very young child (age 4) when I needed 4 teeth pulled. I don't really remember the experience so I guess it did the job! :giggle: I do remember the mask being placed over my nose and it smelling really sweet like cherries and then I remember biting on gauze after and that's about it. I don't think my current dentist provides it but I would probably take her up on it if I had the opportunity.
 
I'm so happy that you were able to go through with it and that everything worked out! :jump: Congrats! You should treat yourself tonight to something special to celebrate your success! Yes, I have heard that nitrous oxide is a miracle worker for helping to relax anxious patients. I have only had 1 experience with it as a very young child (age 4) when I needed 4 teeth pulled. I don't really remember the experience so I guess it did the job! :giggle: I do remember the mask being placed over my nose and it smelling really sweet like cherries and then I remember biting on gauze after and that's about it. I don't think my current dentist provides it but I would probably take her up on it if I had the opportunity.


Hi.

Thank you so much for your support.

I'm glad I was able to make it through also. Over all it was one of the easiest dental appointments I've had in a long time. It wasn't perfect, but the nitrous oxide really helped. I had them use the oral anesthetic gel on me because I had some pain, but in retrospect if I ever have to do this again I'm getting the novocaine shots. Knowing I've had the shots really puts me more at ease.

The nitrous really gives you a weird feeling. You feel drunk and there's also a tingling/pins and needles feeling that goes through your whole body. The thing is you don't notice it that much and eventually forget about it.

I just can't get over how the time felt like it went by so quickly. That amazed me. If every dental appointment felt like that I'd never be afraid to go again.

Based on the cost of the nitrous though, I'm trying to decide when I'll use it. I need to get a cavity filled and I also need to get those 4 crowns. I'll probably get the cavity filled and one crown done together next time. I can't do everything at once due to the cost. I have one tooth that needs a crown though, because it's chipped, so that's rather urgent.

Thanks again for all of your support.

JJ
 
Back
Top