• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Petrified of Conscious IV Sedation for Impacted Teeth! ADVICE PLEASE

S

Stellastefane

This is my first time here, I've found myself here after weeks of sleepless nights (its 4am as I write this) and panic attacks.

I'm 22 and I have severe anxiety which has stopped me getting my 2 impacted wisdom teeth removed. After 2 years of constant infections and pain I have finally done the appointment with the surgeon and have the procedure booking for 6 days from now.

I can't sleep or eat properly, I'm having constant stress headaches and feel very overwhelmed. He will be removing two horizontally impacted lower wisdom teeth, one around a nerve.

It will be performed under "Conscious IV Sedation". The consious part is freaking me out badly, to the point of not going. I am petrified that I will be awake and aware of what the surgeon is doing to me. My anxiety is terrible enough on its own but the thought of knowing what's happening has made me physically sick.

I have read varied experiences with Concious IV Sedation and there are lots of people who experienced no awareness and slept the whole time, others who were aware but groggy and relaxed enough to not be bothered and also those who were completely aware and traumatized.

If I am anxious and still aware after the IV will they give me more of whatever it is until I am calm enough? Or because its CONSCIOUS sedation does that mean they will not take it past that point?

Also at my innital appointment they monitored my blood pressure from when I got there til when i left (40 minutes later) and there was not one point where it was at a normal level, it was extremely high the entire time even after trying to calm myself down, but my GP thinks this is normal for me with my anxiety but the anesthesiologist seemed concerned.

I'm expecting to be more anxious for the actual thing, will my blood pressure being so high stop them proceeding with the removal? Because I really can't cope with waiting and making myself sick all over again.

I hugely appreicate any suggestions or advice and experiences and also if anyone can answer my questions.

Thank you very much and good luck to anyone in the same dental phobia boat!

Hello and welcome. You’re not alone in your anxiety. I was just like you are right before my extractions in September. Basically scared to death I would be aware of what was happening to me and that the Sedation wouldn’t work. I also knew I wouldn’t be able to get in the chair for the IV without something to relax me so I asked my dentist for Valium to take one hour before my appointment and also before bed the night before so I could sleep. It worked very well to relax me even though I was afraid to even take it.

Let me assure you that you will be monitored the entire time and more or less Sedation will be administered when needed. You may be “conscious” but you will think you slept the entire time. If you do have any lucid moments they will be foggy at best and you will feel no fear or pain. I was sedated for 6 hours for my surgery and all I remember is the beginning of having the IV put in and the end where the assistant was putting fresh gauze in my mouth and wiping my face with a cool cloth to get me ready to go home. They walked me out to my husband and I don’t remember the car ride home even and the rest of the day is a blur. I know how you feel and you’re scared but the thought of what is going to happen is far worse than the Sedation. You won’t know a thing. Once the iv goes in and they hit you with the goo goo juice you feel light headed and tingly and really great for about five seconds and then you’re getting ready to go home in disbelief it’s over and you feel 1,000 pounds lifted off your shoulders.

Thank you so much for your fast reply, I woke up to your post and it was very reassuring and it feels good to not be the only one scared!

It sounds like you had a good experience and I'm glad for you and hope that mine is similar, I wasn't offered Valium or anything before hand and having my anxiety I was too scared to speak up and in all honesty i wasn't this scared then so it didn't come to mind that I would be worried about getting myself there on the procedure day.

I am also doing this publicly which may be another reason I wasn't offered any pre medication. I will take my daily medicine for my anxiety and hope that the IV does what its supposed to and goes well.

I feel ridiculous, like I can't even function as a normal human under this stress and it makes it harder when those close to you don't understand your fears or anxieties. I've been like a zombie so hopefully after the 27th I can be back to normal ?

Thank you again for your reply, it is comforting to know there are people out there who feel the same as me and who are also kind enough to share their stories for my benefit.

Thank you thank you!

I'll be having IV sedation myself in a little over a month to get about 4 hours of dental surgery done.

My mum had it last year. She says the last thing she remembers is having the needle put in and everything after it is a blur, like she was dreaming. She remembered being driven home. I saw her that night after work and she was still kind of out of it. She's not a fan of injections but she said she would definitely have sedation again instead of just a local.

Stay strong. 6 days from now you'll be rid of the bloody things!

I wish you the best of luck for your surgery!

Thank you for your input its great to hear positive success stories and hear from people who have experienced it!

This is my first procedure other than stitches and small stuff so its mostly fear of the unknown, and having you share your Mums positive experience is a great help.

Thank you and all the best

I feel ridiculous, like I can't even function as a normal human under this stress and it makes it harder when those close to you don't understand your fears or anxieties. I've been like a zombie so hopefully after the 27th I can be back to normal ?

Having severe dental anxiety, especially when not knowing anyone else who has that can make you feel like an alien. This is at least how I feel most of the time. I am a happy patient at my practice but can get myself to a point of a panick atack just by thinking of the dental chair (this is quite a talent I would say). I remember the stage of looking for a dentist and 'being like a zombie' is exactly how it felt.

So please never feel ridiculous - on the contrary, you are facing your fears, you are brave and courageous.

I just had a look at the member list here. There are 26.820 registered members here and chances are that they all suffer from severe dental anxiety. Ok, some of them are dentists, but as I heared, even some dentists are afraid of the dentist:giggle: However, you are absolutely not alone.

The conscious part of the sedation simply means you will be awake enough to hear and respond to the dentists commands (open wider, move your tongue, etc) but in reality, you will be so damn groggy, you won't even remember you had the procedure done.

Absolutely love the quote Enarete! Thank you for your caring words. Its very comforting hearing these comments, I'm so glad I posted here, I wasn't expecting any answers! Thank you again and know you are brave and courageous aswell!

Thank you Magicianscotty! Thats what I have been learning but my silly mind is not cooperating.

First up, you have completed two immensely important and courageous acts: made the appointment and posted here.

Huge huge steps. You are certainly on the right track.

From those two facts alone, I am confident in saying that you are going to be okay. You're going to make it through this.

This is going to be an experience, and it is going to have some moments, but you'll make it through and be better on the other side.

Then you'll post here about your experiences, giving encouragement to the people then, about where you are now.

One kind and gentle disagreement: your mind is not silly. By no means! Your mind has gotten you to where you are now, through some pretty tough situations, if you're like most people.

Your mind (or psyche, to get fancy) wants to protect you. Somewhere along the line it got the data that sedation is something to avoid. Well, now you have new data: the posts here. Everyone who has posted here are together people, and they offer different perspectives of the same theme: it will be okay.

You just keep doing what you're doing. You don't have to do anything you're not doing, and you don't have to not do anything you are doing.

Now panic attacks are the real deal! Is there any help and support you ask for, to look into a little help with those? You don't have to face panic attacks (or dental care!) alone.

Tha

Last edited:
Hello and welcome. You’re not alone in your anxiety. I was just like you are right before my extractions in September. Basically scared to death I would be aware of what was happening to me and that the Sedation wouldn’t work. I also knew I wouldn’t be able to get in the chair for the IV without something to relax me so I asked my dentist for Valium to take one hour before my appointment and also before bed the night before so I could sleep. It worked very well to relax me even though I was afraid to even take it.

Let me assure you that you will be monitored the entire time and more or less Sedation will be administered when needed. You may be “conscious” but you will think you slept the entire time. If you do have any lucid moments they will be foggy at best and you will feel no fear or pain. I was sedated for 6 hours for my surgery and all I remember is the beginning of having the IV put in and the end where the assistant was putting fresh gauze in my mouth and wiping my face with a cool cloth to get me ready to go home. They walked me out to my husband and I don’t remember the car ride home even and the rest of the day is a blur. I know how you feel and you’re scared but the thought of what is going to happen is far worse than the Sedation. You won’t know a thing. Once the iv goes in and they hit you with the goo goo juice you feel light headed and tingly and really great for about five seconds and then you’re getting ready to go home in disbelief it’s over and you feel 1,000 pounds lifted off your shoulders.

This is a fantastic description of IV sedation, if mine goes this well, I will be absolutely thrilled ?

First up, you have completed two immensely important and courageous acts: made the appointment and posted here.

Huge huge steps. You are certainly on the right track.

From those two facts alone, I am confident in saying that you are going to be okay. You're going to make it through this.

This is going to be an experience, and it is going to have some moments, but you'll make it through and be better on the other side.

Then you'll post here about your experiences, giving encouragement to the people then, about where you are now.

One kind and gentle disagreement: your mind is not silly. By no means! Your mind has gotten you to where you are now, through some pretty tough situations, if you're like most people.

Your mind (or psyche, to get fancy) wants to protect you. Somewhere along the line it got the data that sedation is something to avoid. Well, now you have new data: the posts here. Everyone who has posted here are together people, and they offer different perspectives of the same theme: it will be okay.

You just keep doing what you're doing. You don't have to do anything you're not doing, and you don't have to not do anything you are doing.

Now panic attacks are the real deal! Is there any help and support you ask for, to look into a little help with those? You don't have to face panic attacks (or dental care!) alone.

Thank you so much Dg6300 this message is just what I needed! Its amazing what posting here has done for me, I'm still very very scared but the positive and uplifting content from other users really does help to calm me! I wish I had posted a month ago ?

I will definitely use that and remind myself of the huge steps I've already taken to get here!

Just thinking of speaking to someone about my panic attacks throws me into one so for now I will focus on getting through this appointment, but it is definitely something I know I need help with.

Thank you for your understanding and selfless help and suggestions. I'm honestly amazed at the responses I've had its very comforting here.

Thank you so much Dg6300 this message is just what I needed! Its amazing what posting here has done for me, I'm still very very scared but the positive and uplifting content from other users really does help to calm me! I wish I had posted a month ago ?

I will definitely use that and remind myself of the huge steps I've already taken to get here!

Just thinking of speaking to someone about my panic attacks throws me into one so for now I will focus on getting through this appointment, but it is definitely something I know I need help with.

Thank you for your understanding and selfless help and suggestions. I'm honestly amazed at the responses I've had its very comforting here.

Hi, and welcome! I just want to say that I am another anxious dental patient, I understand as everyone here does, how terrifying and challenging it is to face the dental treatment we need to get done. I have had several panic attacks too, I landed in the ER last November because I really thought I was having a heart attack. I’m pretty certain that it was due to worrying too much about the dental treatment I’ve been having. I understand completely how difficult and uncomfortable they make you feel.
I have recently felt like I’ve had enough of the constant sickening feelings, the worry, the panic and the dread of going to my appointments so I’ve decided to do whatever I can do to distract myself from all those things, to keep busy and to also refrain from googling about IV sedation! I’ve never read of anyone on this forum having had a bad experience with it, I’m fact it kind of sounds like a good experience and it’s a godsend to dental phobics;)
I was supposed to be having IV sedation today but my appointment was cancelled and rescheduled for 3 weeks time. I surprised myself by not getting really upset about it, I just accepted it and got on with my life, so I’m making so I’m making a little progress I guess:giggle:
I am really looking forward to hearing all about your sedation experience, it’s going to be a new experience for sure, but that doesn’t mean it will be a bad one in any way-expect good things! And think forward to when you’ve had the work done, how relieved you will be, how the pain will be gone and how much healthier your mouth will be!
Remember-a positive you is a powerful you! :)