• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Piece of filling fell off

M

maliasheart

Hi, hey, hello! It’s me... again.

Today I had my first ever dental cleaning. It went well, I had little to no pain and all my coffee stains were successfully removed! However, a few minutes ago I ran my tongue over my back tooth and I noticed it felt sharp for a bit and then smooth again. Obviously, that freaked me out and I went in to take a look. As luck would have it, a piece of a VERY old filling fell out and now there’s a small hole.

This terrifies me because
a) I can’t leave my region due to covid and my dentist is several regions away.
b) just a few weeks ago my dentist told me there’s no need to replace the old filling. Why did it fall out then? Do I have decay under it? I’ve felt no sensitivity whatsoever. She did mention the edges are not ideal and the filling will give out soon but why not just replace it then? That would save me from so much anxiety and fear
c) how long can I keep my tooth like this? I have no idea when I’ll get an appointment and I know this is not a dental emergency so what do I do? I could maybe call my mom’s dentist tomorrow and see if she can fit me in but I doubt it since I’m not her client. I don’t think the emergency dentist would take me in.

This had to happen just when I finally started to feel better about my teeth, didn’t it?

as always, I appreciate all advice, information and support you guys give me. Hope you’re all well, xx

Hi,

I don’t know the reason to your broken/chipped tooth but if it does not cause you discomfort when eating, drinking or smoking, I would say it is perfectly ok to wait a few more weeks until you can return to your dentist.

Hi,

I don’t know the reason to your broken/chipped tooth but if it does not cause you discomfort when eating, drinking or smoking, I would say it is perfectly ok to wait a few more weeks until you can return to your dentist.

hi! I called my dentist yesterday and they gave me an appointment in a few weeks, exactly like you said :)

thank you for taking the time to reply, be well! X

Back