• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Please complete the survey!!

Name: Alex
1) How would you rate your dislike of the dentist on a scale of 1-10, with 1 being minimal and 10 being absolute fear.

5 I don't hate the dentist just dislike it.

2) What do you dislike about visiting the dentist?
Smell? Hate the smell
Noise? Hate the noise
Other: Hate having something poking around my mouth

3) Have you ever had a bad experience at the dentist which has left a lasting negative impression? If so, please elaborate......
None Thankfully:jump::jump::jump::jump:

4) How often do you visit your dentist?
Every 6 months or so

5) Have you ever ignored your dental health due to fear of the dentist?
No I wouldn't dream of it

6) Why would you book a dental appointment?
Just to make shure I my teeth are in good condition

7) Have you ever tried any of the following approaches during dental treatment.

a) Intravenous sedation
b) general anaesthetic- no
c) inhaled sedation (gas and air)- no
d) Hypnosis- no
e) Distraction techniqes (music, pictures etc)- yes heavy music
other....

8) Do you consider dental phobia a serious condition?
Yes

Name:

1) How would you rate your dislike of the dentist on a scale of 1-10, with 1 being minimal and 10 being absolute fear. 7-8 (after 2 years regular treatment)

Smell? _____________________ Yes.
Noise?____________________Yes.
Other: Pain, fear of pain and/or the unknown, needles, lack of control, dislike lying down/feeling vunerable, fear that the dentist will laugh or be impatient with me, the waiting room experience – hearing other patients discussing their treatment or actually having treatment, feeling jumpy every time a nurse comes out to call someone’s name…

3) Have you ever had a bad experience at the dentist which has left a lasting negative impression? If so, please elaborate:

Yes – as a child I witnessed my mother having a filling without anaesthetic, which appeared to be a painful and disturbing process. Not long after I ended up being witness to a friend having a tooth extracted and was scared by the perceived violence, pain and blood involved, the dentist on this occasion used the event to lecture me and scare me into taking care of my teeth. More recently I have had a dentist refuse to stop working on my teeth when I started to panic and cry – even though I had first used the pre-organised signal or raising my hand and ended up screaming in the chair for him to stop. On this occasion I became panicked and could not breathe properly.

4) How often do you visit your dentist? Nowadays I go every 6 months without fail (this is down to finding a very good, patient and sympathetic dentist)

5) Have you ever ignored your dental health due to fear of the dentist? Yes – until 3 years ago, I had not visited a dentist for 12 years.

6) Why would you book a dental appointment? Outwith routine check-ups, only if extreme pain or visible damage to teeth.

a) Intravenous sedation NO
b) general anaesthetic Yes
c) inhaled sedation (gas and air) No
d) Hypnosis NO
e) Distraction techniqes (music, pictures etc) No
other. Breathing/relaxation exercises.

8) Do you consider dental phobia a serious condition? Yes and should be recognised as such.

Name: LeBeau

1) How would you rate your dislike of the dentist on a scale of 1-10, with 1 being minimal and 10 being absolute fear.

8 to 9

Smell? _____________________
Noise?____________________
Other:Everything associated with the dentist's office causes me anxiety

3) Have you ever had a bad experience at the dentist which has left a lasting negative impression? If so, please elaborate......
When I was about 8 or 9, I needed a filling and the dentist did not stop working when I told him I could feel the drill- he just kept going and told me to stop being a baby..... years later, while getting x-rays done, the assistant bullied me about biting down and would not let me tell her that the frame around the film was digging into the roof of my mouth and the gums of my lower teeth- there was bleeding for nearly a week from the roof of my mouth and a sore spot on the gum for even longer. Not sure why I didn't just spit the damn thing out.

Until recently, it was only when pain overrode my fear- every 3 or 4 years... Now that I have decent insurance and have found an office that deals kindly with my fears, I'm undoing the damage of 25 years of neglect and going about once a month.

yes

See answer to #4

a) Intravenous sedation
b) general anaesthetic
c) inhaled sedation (gas and air)
d) Hypnosis
e) Distraction techniqes (music, pictures etc)
other....

All of the above, plus visualization, breathing excercises and mauling my little Tigger doll when my anxiety peaks.

Yes- I'm an intelligent, well educated, full grown woman who knows that dental care is an important part of overall health care but would sooner neglect my mouth than face my fear? Yeah, I call that serious.... The work I'm now having done involves a lot of talking to myself and scheduling appointments around my husband's calender because no power on earth could make me drive myself to a dentist's office.

Last edited:
Name: LittleS

6-7. Down from about an 8.

Smell? _____________________ Yes, as most dentists smell the same and I associate that smell with bad feelings.
Noise?____________________ Doesn't bother me/don't notice any noise.
Other: __________________ I know it's likely I'll be in a situation where I'm out of total control.

I once had a matrix band left on a filling which was being worked on while the dentist answered the phone. It was too long for me to wait and I panicked.

Having an impression for a crown made me gag and panic so much I almost fainted.

I also had a bad experience having a filling in which I panicked so much I bit the dentist at one stage - a bad experience for her as well!

I have six monthly checkups and hygienist appointments. But it's rare for me to go the whole six months without needing to go again. In the past three months I've been five times and am back in a fortnight!

No. However, I have had two or three extractions because I find them easier than crowns.

Regular check-ups or treatment needed such as a filling falling out or crown coming off (this only happened once) or an infection.

a) Intravenous sedation
b) general anaesthetic
c) inhaled sedation (gas and air)
d) Hypnosis
other....
I had hypnotherapy for my dental phobia. The hypnotherapy sessions (I think I had four) were pleasant experiences, but they didn't really make any significant difference.

I've tried listing things in my head like my favourite football players; lifting my legs in the air; breathing through my nose - various distraction techniques.

Yes - although my personal phobia is not that serious. It's often on my mind when I've got an upcoming appointment, but outside of that it doesn't dominate my life. But I understand how it can do.

Last edited:
Name: Rich

Smell?
No
Noise? No
Other: Cost

3) Have you ever had a bad experience at the dentist which has left a lasting negative impression? If so, please elaborate......Had a dentist when I was young that was a substance abuser. Very abusive and low tolerance. Frequently repaired broken equipment during visit. Believed in restraint and proceeding despite pain.

4) How often do you visit your dentist? 3 times per month. I work in the office.

Yes, for years until adulthood.

6) Why would you book a dental appointment? Checkup

a) Intravenous sedation No
b) general anaesthetic No
d) Hypnosis: Yes, I use it on myself and patients
e) Distraction techniqes (music, pictures etc) yes
other....

8) Do you consider dental phobia a serious condition? Yes. It is very debilitating and under-treated.

Please contact me. I would like to talk with you about working with dental anxiety/phobia. I work with my dentist addressing these issues. Thanks for designing this survey, it was great.

Name:

Currently about a 4 - until a few months ago about an 8.

Smell? __No___________________
Noise?____No________________
Other: __Perceived potential for pain, fear of being told something is terribly wrong that can't be fixed________________

3) Have you ever had a bad experience at the dentist which has left a lasting negative impression? If so, please elaborate...... No

4) How often do you visit your dentist? Until recently - hadn't been for over 10 years. My next cleaning/check-up is scheduled for four months from my previous one and I have every intention of keeping the appointment.

5) Have you ever ignored your dental health due to fear of the dentist? Yes, definitely.

6) Why would you book a dental appointment? Previously - only because my partner convinced me how important it was after trying for about two years, and then had to ring up and make the appointment for me. I have recently made appointments as I have been in pain after treatment, but I did put off making those appointments longer than I should have, even though my fear is much less and I like and trust my dentist.

a) Intravenous sedation - no
b) general anaesthetic - no
c) inhaled sedation (gas and air) - yes
d) Hypnosis - no
e) Distraction techniqes (music, pictures etc) - no
other....

8) Do you consider dental phobia a serious condition? Yes

Hello, I am a student completing a research project and my chosen topic is dental phobia. I would like to accumulate a broad range of opinions and thoughts about the dentist, so please complete the survey below. Many thanks for your time!

Name: Graham Dee

Depends on what I'm having done. Checkups - 2, Fillings - 4, Extractions - 11!

Smell? Yes
Noise? Yes
Other: Fear of pain and the dentist saying "Looks like its going to have to come out..."

When I was small, being shouted at by dentist, being held down and gassed and having fillings without LA. Being humiliated by receptionist about my teeth in front of parents & room full of other patients.

As required for checkups etc.

Yes. I went without any treatment for years due to point 3.

To prevent any more extractions!!

a) Intravenous sedation No - but I am due for this.
b) general anaesthetic No - but this would be my preferred choice.
c) inhaled sedation (gas and air) No - But I would love to try this if offered
d) Hypnosis No. Sceptical it would work
other....

Yes. It can ruin a persons life. But these type of phobias (IMO) are rooted in bad abusive dental treatment. In my case, extractions.

Many thanks for taking the time to complete the survey!:)

Last edited:
Name: April

Until 8 months ago 10
Now about a 4 and thankfully decreasing

Smell? Yes
Noise? Yes
Other: Just about everything

Being held down for gas and for treatment. Being told that I would loose part of the roof of my mouth due to severe over crowding

Didn't visit for 31 years but since Last July have been going weekly/monthly because of treatment

Oh yes!

Only when I could stand the pain no more

b) general anaesthetic Yes - fabulous!
c) inhaled sedation (gas and air) No (goes back to that big black smelly rubber mask over my face)
d) Hypnosis Yes
e) Distraction techniqes (music, pictures etc) Yes
other....

Definately, it has ruled my life for ever, I couldn't even watch toothpaste adverts on the TV. It was the last thing on my mind before I went to sleep, the first thing I thought about when I woke up, everytime I ate or drank anything I would think about my teeth, never have a photo taken, try not to smile without a hand in front of my mouth. Never being able to take my children to the dentist or comfort them when they had been - not that they had a problem with it at all (I usually made sure I was out when my husband brought them back because I could smell the dentist on them). If I ever lost a filing or a bit of a tooth blind panic would set in and I would faint, even is it was a bit of crunchy food that I didn't expect I would faint thinking it was a bit of tooth.
Now I am getting better the relief is simply amazing ;D

Name: Ryan Williams

1) How would you rate your dislike of the dentist on a scale of 1-10, with 1 being minimal and 10 being absolute fear. 4

going to the dentish full stop, i hate it, had the needle for the first time yesterday and didnt feel a thing but today im suffering

3) Have you ever had a bad experience at the dentist which has left a lasting negative impression? If so, please elaborate......- nope no bad experience

Every 6 Months

Nope

For Regular check ups or if im in pain with my teeth

a) Intravenous sedation - no
b) general anaesthetic - yes
c) inhaled sedation (gas and air) - no
d) Hypnosis - no
other.... - no

8) Do you consider dental phobia a serious condition? - nope

Name: k.man.

1) How would you rate your dislike of the dentist on a scale of 1-10, with 1 being minimal and 10 being absolute fear. 10

everything.

3) Have you ever had a bad experience at the dentist which has left a lasting negative impression? If so, please elaborate......-

yeah, bad experience when i was a kid.

i don't. i haven't in 4 years.

yup

well i booked one for this month so i can start the journey to getting my teeth fixed and getting over my fear!

a) Intravenous sedation - i dont know what that is
b) general anaesthetic - idk
c) inhaled sedation (gas and air) - i think so
d) Hypnosis - no
other.... nope

8) Do you consider dental phobia a serious condition? -

absolutely. its something that has completely taken over my life, and i think about it everyday...

Name: Jayne

1) How would you rate your dislike of the dentist on a scale of 1-10, with 1 being minimal and 10 being absolute fear. 5 ordinarily, but 9 or 10 if having a procedure

Everything, but the anticipation of treatment is a killer for me.

I had a procedure 14 years ago where I was anaesthetized several times but could still feel the dentist digging out the nerve!

4) How often do you visit your dentist? Every 6 months

5) Have you ever ignored your dental health due to fear of the dentist? Yes

6) Why would you book a dental appointment? Routine check up/intense pain

d) Hypnosis No
e) Distraction techniques (music, pictures etc) No
other....

It is debilitating and confidence crushing.

Name: Anya

1) How would you rate your dislike of the dentist on a scale of 1-10, with 1 being minimal and 10 being absolute fear. 7 normally (used to be worse but a kind dentist helped with that) - 9 for procedure.

Mostly the worrying beforehand. Hate injections. Hate the feeling of being out of control and unable to run.

Yes, not as bad as some but had painful braces as a child which included having something spilt on my lip which burned and blistered - the dentist laughed and told me that would teach me to keep still. Most of my fear comes from seeing the terrible treatments my mum had at the dentist including one procedure which caused her to vomit blood (I was about 4 or 5 at the time).

4) How often do you visit your dentist? Every 6 months

5) Have you ever ignored your dental health due to fear of the dentist? Yes

6) Why would you book a dental appointment? Routine check up/intense pain

b) general anaesthetic Yes
c) inhaled sedation (gas and air) Yes (brilliant!!!)
d) Hypnosis No
e) Distraction techniques (music, pictures etc) Yes - ipod
other....

Absolutely. It can reduce me to tears and I am normally a strong person.

Name: Emma

1) How would you rate your dislike of the dentist on a scale of 1-10, with 1 being minimal and 10 being absolute fear. 5 now before 10

Smell? ___yes usually my dentists doesnt smell now though
Noise?_____yes_______________
Other: Fear of pain, drill, being told off, feeling trapped, outnumbered by dentist and assistant, fear of suction tube choking me, fear of procedure going wrong i could continue !!!!

As a child I had a horrible dentist with black teeth he never spoke to children except to yell at them for having bad teeth he rarely used la and pain was always a possibility with him then he did a filling a big one using la that didnt work and i ended up in agony crying but the nurse held me in the chair and he said it was my imagination i never returned to him more recently a bad sedation experience again was in agony .

4) How often do you visit your dentist? now every 3 months before not for 10 yrs

yes for 10 yrs

before finding my nice dentist nothing other than extreme pain would make me book an appointment now its to keep my newly repaired teeth healthy !!!

a) Intravenous sedation yes horrible
b) general anaesthetic no
c) inhaled sedation (gas and air) no
d) Hypnosis no
other.... other than my dentists jokes no !!

8) Do you consider dental phobia a serious condition? yes most definately it should be recognized by all dentists and healthcare professionals without the right help more people will suffer from it

Name: Prefer not to say

Smell? Didnt notice a smell on my most recent visit but yes i used to hate the smell! and it used to make me panic.
Noise? Maybe of drill dont know im get to try having a filling.
Other: Feeling out of control, fear of pain.

Yes when I was about 5 I had 8 baby teeth out and was put to sleep with a mask and gas ever since I have been terrified of the dentist.

Last week I had my 1st appointment in 7 years

Yes

I decided to book an appointment cause I want to get my dental health back on track before it gets any worse

a) Intravenous sedation Not yet but its likely I will
c) inhaled sedation (gas and air) Yes and I hated it so much
d) Hypnosis no
e) Distraction techniqes (music, pictures etc) No but I plan to use my Ipod when i go for my filling
other....

Yes because even thought I havnt been able to eact comfortable for a number of years I still didnt go to the dentist and also I have lost confidence when smiling.

Name: Clem

1) How would you rate your dislike of the dentist on a scale of 1-10, with 1 being minimal and 10 being absolute fear. 1 for cleanings (unless I get Rock-Hammer Mary, then 8), 9-10 for anything else, 11 if it involves that ghastly huge needle

Smell? a little
Noise? Hate the drill noises, the slurpy spit sucker device that never really works
Other: Seeing the needle, sitting in the chair, having other people's hands in my mouth, feeling trapped, having local anesthesia, feeling claustrophobic because of people close to me on each side, having local anesthesia, chirpy overly-cutsey assistants.

3) Have you ever had a bad experience at the dentist which has left a lasting negative impression? If so, please elaborate......As a kid, went to a jerk who insulted and humiliated my sister and me when Mom was out of the room.

4) How often do you visit your dentist? twice a year

5) Have you ever ignored your dental health due to fear of the dentist? Yes, during college years. Had impacted wisdom teeth and got a dry socket after the first one was hammered/chiseled out, so went out of my way to avoid them for years after that.

6) Why would you book a dental appointment? preventive care, broken tooth, toothache

a) Intravenous sedation Yes, for final wisdom tooth, wonderful experience--you wake up and it's done. No mental trauma, you heal faster, no gory memories to haunt you later.
c) inhaled sedation (gas and air) Yes, once. Wonderful. Too bad my regular dentist doesn't use it!
d) Hypnosis: No, absolutely don't trust that it would work from beginning to end.
e) Distraction techniqes (music, pictures etc) No, I get too freaked out to be distracted.
other.... Valium, Xanax

8) Do you consider dental phobia a serious condition? In many ways I consider fear of the dentist to be a perfectly normal reaction to a stressful situation. The chair, the tools, the tight/claustrophobic positioning, the feet in the air/turtle position--all of it is stressful and scary.

Name: Michelle
1) How would you rate your dislike of the dentist on a scale of 1-10, with 1 being minimal and 10 being absolute fear. 7
Smell? a little
Noise? the drill is scary
Have you ever had a bad experience at the dentist which has left a lasting negative impression? If so, please elaborate......no
4) How often do you visit your dentist? once a year
5) Have you ever ignored your dental health due to fear of the dentist? no
6) Why would you book a dental appointment?toothache

a) Intravenous sedation no
c) inhaled sedation (gas and air) no
d) Hypnosis: No
other....

8) Do you consider dental phobia a serious condition?no

Name: Louise

1) How would you rate your dislike of the dentist on a scale of 1-10, with 1 being minimal and 10 being absolute fear. - 7

Smell? Not so much..
Noise? Most definatley!
Other: ...

3) Have you ever had a bad experience at the dentist which has left a lasting negative impression? No

4) How often do you visit your dentist? Regulary

5) Have you ever ignored your dental health due to fear of the dentist? No, although at times i would like to have..

6) Why would you book a dental appointment? Checkup, tooth ache, Abscess... etc

a) Intravenous sedation - Nope
b) general anaesthetic - Yes
c) inhaled sedation (gas and air) - Yes
d) Hypnosis - Nope
e) Distraction techniqes (music, pictures etc) - Yes
other....

- Yes! I don't think people realise how scared you can truely be! its a phobia which has the potential (and does!!) ruin your life!

Name: Anonymous

Smell? N/A
Noise? Low RPM handpeice use, caries scraping
Other: Dislike that many in our profession are more interested in being a business as opposed to a practice. Lack of attention when administering and ensuring proper anasthetic delivery, assembly line proliferation.

3) Have you ever had a bad experience at the dentist which has left a lasting negative impression? If so, please elaborate.

1997, I was given a filling without proper cooling while the dentist was drilling at high speed. Caused thermal trauma to pulp chamber and intense pain. I eventually lost the tooth due to this and it was the start of my dental phobia.

2002, while under IV sedation I had teeth 6,7,8,9, and 10 teeth extracted. Sedation failed and OMS did not apply local, opting instead to go streight to work on these complex extractions.

2009, Went to a dentist on the recomendation of another dentist. Worst mistake of my life as appearently he slept through the part of school where they tell you it is important to keep the tooth cool and your handpeice burs cool to avoid trauma to teeth and make your work easier. As a result of his poor work his license was revoked by the BoA, but the damage was done and I just finished fighting of a 9 day long infection thats pain made repeated interpulpal injections seem like they would be better than sex.

Once per quarter for checkups and as much as needed for proceedures.

Yes

To avoid continued degradation of teeth, gums, etc.

a) Intravenous sedation - Yes
b) general anaesthetic - Yes
c) inhaled sedation (gas and air) - Yes
d) Hypnosis - No
other.... - No

Yes

Last edited:
Name: Drummerwife

1) How would you rate your dislike of the dentist on a scale of 1-10, with 1 being minimal and 10 being absolute fear. A year aho I was off the scale. Today I am about a 2 or 3

Smell? yes_____
Noise?_yes_
Other:_puttung things in my mouth

Have you ever had a bad experience at the dentist which has left a lasting negative impression? If so, please elaborate...... oh, yes very very bad prefer not to give the gory details

Now, frequently. Until this last year, not at all.
Oh, yes for 15 years
Because my husband out his foot down and said "You are going"

a) Intravenous sedation Yes
c) inhaled sedation (gas and air) yes
d) Hypnosis No
e) Distraction techniqes (music, pictures etc) Yes
other.... Oral sedatives ie: Valium

Absolutely! I am not one to neglect my health and yet my terror was so overwhelming I could not go to the dentist. The health implications of dental phobia are enormous. This condition needs to be taken seriously
Many thanks for taking the time to complete the survey!:)[/quote]

Hello, I am a student completing a research project and my chosen topic is dental phobia. I would like to accumulate a broad range of opinions and thoughts about the dentist, so please complete the survey below. Many thanks for your time!

Name: anonymous

Smell? bothersome
Noise? causes extreme anxiety/ panic attack
Other: dentist not believing I am feeling pain !

Almost without exception, every visit has been unpleasant at best, and horrifying most times. THe worst was being told that I could not be feeling any pain after two doses of LA, and having the dentist go to work drilling anyway, causing intense pain, screaming, and struggling on my part. Then Orthodontic work that was pure torture every minute that the fixtures were in place, for four years constantly, and then the work did not stay in place, and my teeth all shifted back to their original crooked positions. I could go on, but for this survey, will leave my remarks as stated.

Only in extreme emergency.

YES !

For intense pain issues only.

a) Intravenous sedation-no
b) general anaesthetic-oral tablets
c) inhaled sedation (gas and air)-yes
d) Hypnosis-no
e) Distraction techniques (music, pictures etc)-yes ineffective
other....

Yes, it is real, and is a serious condition which I experience regularly. I fit the description for dental PTSD, and dental phobic, to the letter.

Many thanks for taking the time to complete the survey!:)

I hope that this helps in your studies, and in your future practice.
<KZ>

Back