• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Please help:( extraction pain

aimsx22

aimsx22

Hiya,
I got a tooth extracted 4 days ago due to it having snapped in half at the gumline, they took it out and said it was fractured to the root and had an abscess too, i was just starting to get over it but now in the worst pain ever, it’s going into my ear and down the side of my neck, my gums really swollen and I’m unable to eat. I’m terrified and know I should phone in the morning, but what will they do please? Extremely nervous and worried.
Any help appreciated
X

It sounds like you may have dry socket. If so, they will pack the socket every couple of days for a couple of weeks. You will feel so much better once they put the medicine coated packing in the socket (it is a bit uncomfortable when they are doing it, but soooo worth it to be out of pain!)

You have a dry socket, go back to the dentist ASAP and it'll get sorted.

They'll wash out the socket with some sterile salty water, then pack it with a fairly yucky tasting material which will sort it all out very quickly for you. This doesn't hurt although it is pretty scary.

I’ve just had to send them pictures of the site and how swollen my cheek is, i they said it’s dry socket and have prescribed me amoxicillin, they said they can’t do anything for the pain, in finding it agony to swallow and have neutropenia so I’m quite worried incase it spreads, but they said hopefully the antibiotics will help :’( really can’t cope with this pain anymore:(

Thankyou so much for your reply x

So sorry what you are going through, I hope things get better quick and the pain goes away !!

Thankyou so much "krlovesherkids777 Really appreciate it xx

Thankyou so much Paige2018,
I phoned them today and they said that I have that:( but there’s nothing they can do and they prescribed a course of amoxicillin for it, I said I have bad neutropenia- so I’m worried it’ll turn septic quick, but they said I’ll be fine I have antibiotics:/
Thankyou so much for the reply:* xx

It won't "turn septic", dry socket isn't really an infection, it happens because the blood clot breaks down too quickly and leaves an open wound into the jaw bone.

It'll get better with the antibiotics but it'll take a few days.

Ahh okay Thankyou for your help, my cheek is really hot and the pains excruciating so I assumed it was a type of infection Sorry?
Got everything crossed it starts improving tomorrow instead of getting worse?

It has been a long time since I had dry socket, when I had my wisdom teeth out, but I was told to rinse with warm salt water until I could get in to the surgeon. Also to apply hot compresses. He said I could use ice, but that heat may feel better. That did help slightly with the pain, but I remember how awful that pain was.
I hope you can get some relief soon!

How are you doing now? I've heard dry socket being described as worse than childbirth, so I do sympathise. Not from direct experience of either :)

Still in really bad pain, it’s not as bad as it was but it’s still really painful and the gums still really swollen, yes!! Definately is lol, but I find toothache worse than childbirth? so lucky lol!:) thank you for asking how I’m doing

Still in really bad pain, it’s not as bad as it was but it’s still really painful and the gums still really swollen, yes!! Definately is lol, but I find toothache worse than childbirth? so lucky lol!:) thank you for asking how I’m doing

You poor thing. DS while not being able to see a dentist, that's a nightmare. You are really tough. Are you able to sleep at all those days? Fingers crossed for the pain to get better soon! :clover:

I'd give 111 a call tomorrow, tell them you've got a dry socket that isn't improving...

Okay Thankyou, I wasn’t sure if I should just leave it like if it heals on it’s own?

Aww bless Thankyou lovely! I’m managing to get some sleep now with it, but not managing to eat, even yogurts hell! Thankyou hun??

It'll get better on its own eventually, but there's no need to suffer that long.
Yoghurt is hellish stuff anyway, I think I'd rather starve :)

Eventually??
It’s just horrible tbh, aye a suppose it’s helping the waistline lol

I hope it gets better so you can eat again soon aimsx22! I know how it is to not even be able to eat the simpliest things. I remember trying the chocolate silk on a silk pie and even that was too much once. aghh. hope it gets better soon

Back