• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

please help. in chronic pain

S

sore_tooth

I have a broken top molar, the very first one at the start of the right side (only a small piece remaining very sharp piece), with severe nerve pain affecting the trigeminal nerve, or the main nerve of the face - the pain radiates from the tooth back to the ear and down to my bottom teeth on the same side, almost to the point that you cannot tell which tooth is causing the pain, i have tried taking panadeine forte, nurofen with panadol together and even bonjela on the gum but none of it is helping. my appointment with the dentist isn't until the 5th of march but this pain is so bad there is no way i will make it that far. please some advice on how to relieve the pain from a 20/10 to a 2 or 3

when I was having severe pain and had nothing to take for it but ibuprofen which did not help I was able to get a little bit of relief from using ice packs on my jaw. It did not take the pain away but made it a little bit more bearable.

Hi,
first of all, it sounds like an emergency appointment and usually dental clinics tend to make a nearer appointment in case of emergency.
It might be helpful to take antibiotics to reduce the infection and hence the pain. I am saying this without checking you so I can't be sure but from your description it sounds like antibiotics might help.

All the best,

dr daniel

thank you for your advice. i will pop down to my local GP for some antibiotics until i can get in to see my dentist :) have been avoiding eating solids and sticking to a liquid or soft food like watermelon so i can stay hydrated and kick the hunger.

Does your dentist know your in this much pain? I rang up to say I was in pain and my dentist pushed me inbetween other people a day later. As much as their busy they will usually make time for people in pain. Even if it's just a quick fix to stop the pain.

Tell your our dentist all the pain killers ya taking.

Back