R
rachwrites
Junior member
- Joined
- Sep 8, 2023
- Messages
- 6
- Location
- UK
After some horrible experiences with my old dentist a few years ago I avoided seeing anyone because I couldn’t face the lectures and judgement and lack of understanding again. But I was really lucky and managed to get referred to my local community dental service (it’s the only surgery near me that’s wheelchair accessible but they are people with a wide variety of additional needs).
My first appointment was more ok than I was expecting it to be - no one judged my difficulties with brushing my teeth and the problems that had cropped up (I’m autistic, have chronic fatigue syndrome and a few other chronic health conditions that have left me housebound other than appointments- another reason I have avoided booking anything).
I’ve been told I need a fair amount of work done so we booked in the appointments needed and I had my first one today. Because I can’t be out of the house for extended periods of time we’re just going to deal with one issue at a time so started off today with the smallest cavity.
I was terrified before going in, but I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was. The dental nurse let me hold her hand when needed, they spoke through it all step by step as they were doing things (a big positive for me - I have to know what’s going on in situations like that) and we took it really slowly so that I could have little breaks when needed and they really reassured me that I was doing ok with it all.
As I left I told them it was the most pleasant dental appointment I’ve had which I never imagined I’d be saying
no doubt I’ll be a nervous wreck before my next appointment in 2 weeks time but I kinda feel reassured that it’ll be better than my brain will try convince me?
My first appointment was more ok than I was expecting it to be - no one judged my difficulties with brushing my teeth and the problems that had cropped up (I’m autistic, have chronic fatigue syndrome and a few other chronic health conditions that have left me housebound other than appointments- another reason I have avoided booking anything).
I’ve been told I need a fair amount of work done so we booked in the appointments needed and I had my first one today. Because I can’t be out of the house for extended periods of time we’re just going to deal with one issue at a time so started off today with the smallest cavity.
I was terrified before going in, but I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was. The dental nurse let me hold her hand when needed, they spoke through it all step by step as they were doing things (a big positive for me - I have to know what’s going on in situations like that) and we took it really slowly so that I could have little breaks when needed and they really reassured me that I was doing ok with it all.
As I left I told them it was the most pleasant dental appointment I’ve had which I never imagined I’d be saying