• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Possible Cavity

A

AndMart

Hi Everyone,

Im new here and i dont know where to begin.

When i was little i used to go take care of my teeth really well. My dad was always on top of me

Now im 30, i haven't gone to the dentist in years and one of the reasons why i didn't like going was because i was always afraid to go, just the aroma, needles,. Im typically a very shy person so meeting new people was always hard

Now im having an issue where i have a dark spot that appeared on my canine tooth, so i grabbed a mirror and looked behind it and i saw a cavity, im not in pain or anything. So my question is as follows, if it doesn't hurt is that a good sign that i dont have to get a root canal, this literally just happens a couple days ago,

I have a consultation tomorrow which im deeply afraid m any advice?

Hello AndMart

:welcome: to Dental Fear Central! Not a dentist here but wanted to encourage you and say glad you are going despite being afraid and getting this taken care of. We all have our reasons for fear and anxiety . I'm always a bit intimidated by meeting new people, especially ones going to care for me and my health. Chairside/bedside manner for dentist/drs had always been really important. I know smell can really throw some off and needles , well alot of us are right there with you.

The good news is dentistry has come along way and alot of the smells aren't as prevalent right off, and they can do alot to help people with fear of needles for one make them not even notice them.
I don't have an answer to your question, I do know most of the root canals I've had , had been proceeded by some pretty rough pain or absess. Just personal experience. Xrays and exam will be the telling factor mostly. I hope you will get a kind dentist that is understand and gentle in this process.

I hope so, just really nervous, the exam is tomorrow, i have been reading stories, by what i read on my doctor she seems really nice ( I just fear shes going to rude once i open my mouth)

I know not everyone is not like this just that i havent been there in a while and i have seen searching for the "right" dentist and hopefully shes the one to help me

Update:

Just wanted to give everyone an update , had my appointment yesterday and it turns out i have 2 cavities and 2 cavities and 1 molar that needs to be filled.

My experience though, i got there 30 minutes early. was told to wait outside because they only allowed one patient at a time. Once it was my turn we went straight for the chair and she checked my teeth, we did an xray and then another one of my entire teeth, 4 diffrent sides.

Honestly one of the best dentists that i had, i was freaking out and came out smiling because my expereince was bad at all. I do have to go again on Friday for the fillings

AndMart!

So glad you had a good experience and even made an appt for fillings on Friday! Wow! This is very great ! Its always a good feeling to have a much better experience than you anticipated! :).. Hpe all goes great on Friday, today is a good sign it will!.

:claps::claps::claps:well done, AndMart, so glad all went well! Good luck with the fillings today, let us know how it went!

Honestly just coming back here is full circle, it went great 2 years ago, my dentist is very understanding

Back